JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife finally found a job so i have a bit of cash to spend (about 800 bucks). I would like to get a semi-auto rifle in .308 and would like your opinions on what to get. I know this topic comes up often, so i'm not asking which rifle is best, but which is best in my limited budget. Mag prices are also a factor because this will be my shtf weapon and i would like to have plenty of mags. After reading old threads i had pretty much decided to build a fal, but after checking current prices that doesnt look to be Any cheaper than buying one. I would prefer to spend less on a rifle so i have money for ammo, but i dont especially like the feel of the saiga compared to the fal. I havent handled the cetme or the ar10 but im a little concerned that the cetmes are too finicky and the ar is on the expensive and ugly side. I understand my budget is low for this class of rifle, but i am impatient, and we wont have more money to spend until after we move (in august).

I recently bought a good condition FAL (on Imbel Receiver) for $800 on the FAL Files. The guys there have all proven to be good in my experience (ie. no crap guns sold without discolsure).

I would recommend saving a little more to get the gun you want...I've always regretted not doing so!

You should definitely handle/try a Cetme G3 clone. They would be in your price range, mags are still dirt cheap, and they are robust as ****. Ergos not as good as a FAL, recoil is harsher, and you gotta find one that is built right and works.

Quality FALs here if you can find an extra $300...
My used FAL cost $495 from Northwest armory about a year ago, but it's built off a Hesse receiver and you're never quite sure how those might work out ... I got lucky and it works perfectly. The platform is a joy to shoot.

I've seen CETMEs for around $500, if you fancy rolling the dice on one of those, but I don't really enjoy shooting them....

As mentioned above, the Armalite or DMPS 308 can be found for $900 ish used, they are generally more accurate than the FAL and will take nearly any AR accessory you can think of....

If you want affordable without rolling dice, a Saiga may be the way to go. As far as the feel of the rifle goes, it depends on what you dislike about it, as there are a number of modifications you can do that could certainly improve matters.

I can only speak on the Saiga 308, and I'd say it's a viable choice only if you are willing to do the pistol grip conversion; the stock trigger is absolute garbage. Another consideration to keep in mind is that magazines are expensive for the Saiga compared to your other options. Besides that the gun is as reliable as any AK and shoots great too!

A used PTR 91 would also be a viable option in your price range...accessories can be expensive, but mags are very cheap at $1 to $2. The AR 10 probably has the most accessories to allow you to tailor it to your specific needs. CETMEs are generally Century builds these days and are a good value for the money. I can't comment on FALs or Saiga .308s.

Keith

Thanks for all the responses! I am going to look at a century cetme next week sometime for $480.. I'm still not sure if that's what I want though. It sounds like they always need attention. I don't mind messing with something to get it to work, but I don't really want to have to replace the bolt, rollers, etc. I haven't been able to find a FAL for less than $800 and there are PTR 91s around for $1000. That almost seems worth waiting/saving for... Unless someone has a FAL they want to unload for less.

1000 time out of 1000 times, I woud grab my FAL every time!!! Im not a fan of the AR platform, I have owned 4-5 AR rifles and 1 AR 10, and ended up trading it because I dident care for it...

when in doubt go with the Right Arm of the Free world!

I prefer the PTR 91 and I have a tricked out heavy barrel model.. I love this gun, I find it's quality to be on par with the original G3, and there are many accessories available.. the magazines are extremely inexpensive, (as little as $1 each for used surplus) and lots of spare parts available for reasonable prices

What is the difference between a Cetme and a PTR 91?

CETMEs are assembled by various manufacturers with widely differing quality.. some are junk, some are good.. you roll the dice

PTRs are built in Connecticut on original HK equipment bought from the closed Portugal plant.. PTRs are very high quality semi auto copies of the G3 select fire battle rifle, and many guys are running them full auto with registered sears. My rifle is getting 2 MOA with everything I shoot in it, using an Eotech holo sight on a quick detach claw mount. The barrel is a US made Thompson Center heavy barrel. Here's the PTR website:

http://www.ptr91.com/

Accessories and parts.. he has serviceable mags for $3.75 and up:
http://www.robertrtg.com/g3.html

The latest cool accessory.. a 50 rd wind up drum, US made copy of the G3 drum
http://www.robertrtg.com/aa50drum.html

Here's a pic of mine as delivered. I bought it from CDNN, download their latest gun catalog..
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

In short, CETMEs are of military origin while PTRs, HK91s, SAR8s are commercial copies of CETMEs using all or mostly HK parts.

CETMES as sold in the USA today are commercially manufactured by several businesses, one is Century, and they send out a wide "variety" of builds, from outright crap that will never function correctly, to guns that work

G3 is not a copy of a CETME, there are design differences

I don't see any Saiga .308 respect here so I'll add my .02
Its an AK platform. All but 3 parts are interchangeable. Its tolerances are quite accepting, it can shoot anything.

You can work on it like a truck, tinker..add on.. or just leave it be.
(I how ever converted both of mine, I hated the factory trigger.)

And if you hear people complaining about magazines, I've recently heard a few more companies are coming out with steel as well as polymer mags for a decent cost ($30-45) versus the $50 now. :s0155:

100_0251.jpg

100_0252.jpg

CETMES as sold in the USA today are commercially manufactured by several businesses, one is Century, and they send out a wide "variety" of builds, from outright crap that will never function correctly, to guns that work

G3 is not a copy of a CETME, there are design differences

So much for my short answer. Sorry...I'll be more specific.

The CETME is of military origin, with US market rifles produced by US arms companies using military parts kits and enough US parts to make them 922 compliant (7 US parts if I'm correct). The H&K original G3 was a licensed German copy (with slight improvements) of the Spanish CETME. The PRT-91, HK 91s, SAR3s, SAR-8s, et al are semi-automatic versions of the G3 using German G3 parts. The PTR and SAR-8 (if modified from its original thumbhole configuration) require using enough US parts to make them 922 compliant. The HK91s and SAR-3s do not fall under the 922 regulations.

Keith

I recently bought a 2nd hand DSA FAL & it is very well made. nearly all parts are machined.
I looked at the other ones out there...Century, etc. They all seemed like cheap toys compared to the DSA. The DSA ones are built on the original FAL equipment from Belguim AFIK.
You'd have to save an extra month, but IMO it will be worth it!
It also kicks very lightly...I was preparing for much worse, esp considering I got the Para version, which supposedly kicks more than the standard one.
It is LOUD tho! But fun...I was blowing milk jugs full of water to smitherines using surplus ammo the other week....way funner than my AR!

So much for my short answer. Sorry...I'll be more specific.

The CETME is of military origin, with US market rifles produced by US arms companies using military parts kits and enough US parts to make them 922 compliant (7 US parts if I'm correct). The H&K original G3 was a licensed German copy (with slight improvements) of the Spanish CETME. The PRT-91, HK 91s, SAR3s, SAR-8s, et al are semi-automatic versions of the G3 using German G3 parts. The PTR and SAR-8 (if modified from its original thumbhole configuration) require using enough US parts to make them 922 compliant. The HK91s and SAR-3s do not fall under the 922 regulations.

Keith

Correct

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews