JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the advice from everyone, I looked at that cetme yesterday and the guy made me a deal I couldn't say no to. It's a century build (no ground bolt) and doesn't appear to have been fired. The action is a bit stiff, but improved when I cleaned the monkey-grime out of it. My headspacing is right on the low end ~.006 but I'm going to try to shoot it before I order new rollers, if it's not broke (yet) I won't fix it :)
View attachment 208327
Oh yes, it came with a bayonet :D

Thanks again for the replys, I'm off to buy a selection of ammo for it to eat :)

View attachment 208326

Century builds are notorious for having minimal bolt gap.. fortunately, unless they already have +8 rollers, you can fix it with the correct roller set. Also look for mis aligned sights, tight cocking handle tube and functional issues (FTF, FTE, etc)

My PTR 91 came with .015 bolt gap and it remains the same after about 700 rds so far

Went for a quick shooting trip this afternoon to see if it worked, and it did! 20 rounds of brown bear downrange without issue. The sights are horrible for me though, the front 100m sight is just a blur, I ended up using the 200m sight and aiming a bit low. Very good group from 75 yards though. I already got a scope mount mounted so now I just need to pick an optic out for it. What do you guys use on yours?

Went for a quick shooting trip this afternoon to see if it worked, and it did! 20 rounds of brown bear downrange without issue. The sights are horrible for me though, the front 100m sight is just a blur, I ended up using the 200m sight and aiming a bit low. Very good group from 75 yards though. I already got a scope mount mounted so now I just need to pick an optic out for it. What do you guys use on yours?

I too despise the buckhorn sight so I also set up my PTR using the 200 yards peep for the 100 yard setting, and setting the sights 3 inches low. That way I am dead on at 200 yards. It's nice to have the HK sight tool to get the elevation dialed in

For optics I use the German surplus claw mounts.. CDNN has 'em new in the wrapper, last I saw for $170. I have one claw with a .308 BDC Eotech, and another claw that I have just fitted and laser bore sighted with a 3x9 x 40 Leopold. Must get to the range. Next is night vision on another claw, but I'm holding out for the time being in the hopes of being able to afford thermal NV

I have a non HK claw mount for sale or trade if you need a less expensive mount. I bought it years ago when the HK claws were $400 +, but just never used it. PM me if interested

Here is a pic of mine that is Not completed yet, Im still adding stuff to it...

DSCF1480.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a clawmount and 4x Hensoldt FERO-Z military scope. You can find the whole kit for about $350 these days. Here's a link that has a picture of mine to show you the scope (and no, if anyone is wondering, I'm not currently looking for a trade on this rifle unless I receive a very good offer :) ).

Mine, too, isn't satisfactory to my tastes either; I still need to get the Magpul stock, HK heavy bipod, carry handle and port buffer.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24633&highlight=sar-8

Keith

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews