JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have to agree. I've had a account for awhile but I have only been using it recently due to all other comment I have I have been seeing about gun control.

This is so powerful and I wish more people did it.

Before the New Year, I contacted every gun-friendly friend of mine on FB and asked them to donate $50 to OFF (and get it refunded on their taxes). At least six people told me they did, and most gave for both husband and wife. For less than 30 minutes of messaging on Facebook, I raised about $500 for OFF.

I have made many folks angry with Facebook, since all of this started. I flood daily with every shred of evidence to support and further our case. Lots listen, lots ignore. I think us using every outlet possible is the way to go right now.

The problem with posting pro-gun things on Facebook is that every time you post something publicly (that not just your "friends" can see), you spend the rest of your day getting shouted down, and getting disparaging remarks from people who were your friends, and might not be your friends in the future because they start to think you're an Adam Lanza supporter.

You could easily say "Well, if they feel that way then I don't want them as friends." and that is a valid viewpoint. But it's also a valid way to be lonely.

The problem with posting pro-gun things on Facebook is that every time you post something publicly (that not just your "friends" can see), you spend the rest of your day getting shouted down, and getting disparaging remarks from people who were your friends, and might not be your friends in the future because they start to think you're an Adam Lanza supporter.

You could easily say "Well, if they feel that way then I don't want them as friends." and that is a valid viewpoint. But it's also a valid way to be lonely.

If you're being shouted down, and getting disparaging remarks from your "anti=gun friends," you may need to look for some new friends...

If you're being shouted down, and getting disparaging remarks from your "anti=gun friends," you may need to look for some new friends...

Mostly, I was getting it from friends of friends. People who could see my posts or my comments on posts because a "friend" commented on it and then their friend could see it, or because I commented on someone else's post, and then all of THEIR friends could see it. Also, family members.

I am using the term "friend" loosely here, in the way that Facebook uses it. Most of the people I was getting shouted down by are people I really couldn't care less about - but I also could not actively alienate them because they were friends of people I care about.

My REAL friends, using the word in a more canonical way, are either pro-gun, or NOT anti-gun (there is a difference).
But once again, looking for new friends and discarding the old when they have a viewpoint that does not agree with mine is a recipe for loneliness.

there are plenty of pro-gun and pro-2A people on facebook... they tend to not be as vocal as the antis, though. mostly because the antis state "I HATE GUNS"... or simple one sentence statements with no facts or data shown. they are just spouting what they've heard in main stream media, helping facebook BE main stream media.

facebook may be an evil company or it may not; i don't know for sure one way or another, nor do i care. it does have over 800 million active users, though. 400 million of those active users are frequently on mobile devices (smart phones, iPads, iPhones). Facebook gets used, a LOT. a hell of a lot more than any other single site on the internet, a hell of a lot more than many many other sites combined. it is a vast array of crap and fluff... but it's huge.

now, putting the two paragraphs above together, there are hundreds of millions of active users that post a sentence or two. that's likely most of what gets read. and, it mostly just gets read by your "friends"... people whom you've befriended on facebook.

craft in just one or two sentences a good pro-gun or pro 2A statement. post it.
create a good video like this one that's been posted here Choose Your Own Crime Stats - YouTube post it on facebook.
hell, post that one on facebook. help it become viral.

argue anti posts with fact and data. they'll not get it or understand it... but fact and valid data is on our side. use it. they just have myth and emotion.

craft in just one or two sentences a good pro-gun or pro 2A statement. post it.
create a good video like this one that's been posted here Choose Your Own Crime Stats - YouTube post it on facebook.
hell, post that one on facebook. help it become viral.

argue anti posts with fact and data. they'll not get it or understand it... but fact and valid data is on our side. use it. they just have myth and emotion.

That would have been my intention... mostly to post articles, news stories and YouTube videos.

There are many gun sales/trade groups on Facebook. Just in my local are there are over 5 that I watch for deals. I have also been posting auto-mailers, videos and updates on my page and the gun pages. Also trying to preach to the younger crowd to get off their butts and join NRA, OFF, GOA or any other groups and it has been working.

I try to stay away from facebook arguments as a general rule. They tend to be much like screaming matches in real life, everyone gets extremely heated and they accomplish little. However, I've found myself in more than a few firearms related arguments lately since it seems like that's all anyone on FB is talking about these days.

I had one with a third party friend a day or two after the CT massacre. Someone posted this article on a friend of mine's page: Why Not Renew the "Assault Weapons" Ban? Well, I'll Tell You... « Kontradictions

Someone commented that the writer of the article should tell the parent's of the murdered children how it was just a statistical anomaly, and that the NRA should hire the guy. Well, you know how these things go. I walked away for a few minutes until I couldn't take the ignorance any more, and finally came back to reply.

I crafted what I felt was a sincere and level headed response and all I got back was, "Bet you won't feel that way when it's your kid."

He kept saying how in Europe they don't have gun violence, don't need armed guards at their schools or metal detectors. So I kept showing him case after case of gun violence in Europe. He finally stopped responding.

I didn't win that guy over, but I did make him stop talking. I kept my cool, and hopefully bystanders could see the logic in my arguments. I NEVER resort to extreme language or name calling. You lose every objective listener when that happens.

I've found this to be the way it is on FB. No one really wins, one side just stops arguing.

Oh well, one step at a time.

you could basically cut/past portions of The Truth About Guns, John Lott's blog, Bob Owen's blog...
throw in the occasional picture of a cat doing something funny with a caption on it like "i can has cheesburger?" and you're golden.

I kept my cool, and hopefully bystanders could see the logic in my arguments.

That's the idea. I don't expect to change the minds of the extreme antis, but there are a lot of people in the middle who haven't really ever taken a position on the argument before.

I feel like we're losing the advertising game because the media is stacked against us. So what can we do?

I keep reading really good articles, or watching good videos (like the one that just dan posted, and I think, "I wish more people would see this!"

Sounds like you need new friends.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads