JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Christmas light time this weekend... all is good except I have a fairly steep concrete driveway and need a way to keep my ladder from slipping out underneath me. I figured I'd back my truck in and use it as a giant cleat, but was wondering if there was an easier way. The slope is much steeper than the maximum recommended six degrees. Any thoughts?

upload_2018-12-11_9-21-29.png

Christmas light time this weekend... all is good except I have a fairly steep concrete driveway and need a way to keep my ladder from slipping out underneath me. I figured I'd back my truck in and use it as a giant cleat, but was wondering if there was an easier way. The slope is much steeper than the maximum recommended six degrees. Any thoughts?

View attachment 526877

If that's your driveway, that's nothing! Make sure the feet are even and solid on the concrete. You should be good to go.

If you still have concerns, can you lean the ladder on the lower sloped part of your roof, on the left side of your garage (left side, as you are facing your garage)?

My property is on the side of a hill - its all slanted. I use two @2X4 by about 10- 12 inch long boards and place them under the down hill side of the ladder - for me it works amazingly well. You may need only the one or possibly both but it will be self evident.

I like the truck idea. Probably as easy as anything. And definitely as safe.

Unless someone takes the truck for a spin whilst you're on the ladder...

I like the truck idea.

If it were me however I'd be more inclined (no pun intended) to use my ATV instead of a truck as it would be a more challenging target to hit ween I fall. Always up for the challenge.;)

If that's your driveway, that's nothing! Make sure the feet are even and solid on the concrete. You should be good to go.

If you still have concerns, can you lean the ladder on the lower sloped part of your roof, on the left side of your garage (left side, as you are facing your garage)?

The driveway is a bit steeper than the picture shows. I've used a ladder on the side near the corner to hang a flag pole, but I need to string the lights across the top.

My property is on the side of a hill - its all slanted. I use two @2X4 by about 10- 12 inch long boards and place them under the down hill side of the ladder - for me it works amazingly well. You may need only the one or possibly both but it will be self evident.

Thanks - For the lawn or dirt areas I can use the boards as a cleat, but on the concrete I don't think they would stay in place unless I had a way to fix them in place. The concrete width is too far to span if I tried to stake a board across.

Have a spotter safety officer helper. Place his toes against the ladder rails. Or ... like already said, use the pickup.

I'll see if Mrs 3M is up to it, though she can't stand very long. The truck still seems my best/safest bet for now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top