JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
RCBS hand primer, sitting in my easy chair with two boxen of brass; one sized and unprimed, one primed. Have my primer tray half full, chucking out about 20 rounds a minute. The wife comes up to tell me about something and my attention is taken away for just a moment.

Now I've got a ringing in my right ear and a nice burn blister on my shell-loading hand. Double fed the case and the two primers fired off.

Ow.

Focus on your task. My 5 year old doesn't bother me when I'm at my reloading table unless I have him help me out by request. My wife won't be anymore either.

Indeed. My young 'un is only involved in sorting calibres of pick-up brass and sometimes I let him 'help' me resize them. I'm glad he's interested in being a helper but damn am I glad he was in a different room. Also hope this ringing goes away.

I've had this problem too, the double feed. I, however, stopped pressing when I felt the extra pressure. When performing any reloading function, it's a good idea to STOP when something feels different.

Same advice when using a progressive press. When it suddenly doesn't feel right, it's a good chance it isn't and you are asking for trouble if you just "slam ahead".

Just finished priming about 2300 rounds since I started yesterday and I've found that it was a brass problem;

I have a bunch of flavours of headstamp and some of them(Aguila) had very poorly sized primer pockets so I was having to give a little extra oomph to seat the primers in properly. The case that I double fed was actually a Winchester and I thought that it was just another Aguila that needed that harder squeeze. I'm now checking the case before AND after I work on priming.

Just finished priming about 2300 rounds since I started yesterday and I've found that it was a brass problem;

I have a bunch of flavours of headstamp and some of them(Aguila) had very poorly sized primer pockets so I was having to give a little extra oomph to seat the primers in properly. The case that I double fed was actually a Winchester and I thought that it was just another Aguila that needed that harder squeeze. I'm now checking the case before AND after I work on priming.

You might do some additional checking or evaluation of your process. I've had some brass that was so bad I crushed the primers into a wad of brass in the hole, using full pressure available from my progressive press and still haven't had one "pop" on me. It takes an impact to ignite a primer. Slowly applied pressure rarely, if ever, will set a primer off. I regularly de-prime cases with upside-down primers or primers that are damaged during the process and no "pops". Slow even pressure, not "slam-bam" like some seem to favor. Just curious, were the primers Federal?

I move slow and methodical 99.9% of the time and do check every primer after seating. Out of my recent run I had 4 misaligned, one crushed, and one backwards(but I knew that was happening and stopped before it fully seated). I don't slam them in, they are pushed in with gentle and constant force. And yes, on these I'm using Federal primers. Good call, that.

I had this happen on a progressive right after I purchased and set it up. It was a great reminder for me to always wear eye protection. Thanks for sharing!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top