JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi all.
Is there a thread on etiquette or rules for a sales post?
I already saw the bright red words talking about calling someone out on a price. That isn't what I mean.
I am in Oregon and plan to post 2 hand guns. I've never sold via FFL (Georgia private sales didn't require it like OR does)
So obviously I can simply meet local AT an FFL and do the transfer that way, but what is the general "normal" for the Left Coast?

Feel free to throw links to threads if I am revisiting the proverbial "dead horse"

I always try to follow the Golden Rule when buying or selling here:

Don't be a dick.

I learned recently that you really need to be very clear when you want something. I saw a great deal on something I wanted (not a gun). I sent a PM to see if the seller still had it, said clearly that I would like to buy it. He said yes. I responded that I wanted to buy it, just needed to make arrangements to travel to get it, might take a day or two. He responded that someone else had just sent that they would come get it right away, so it's his, sorry about that. :(

No, I wouldn't do that to someone, but I'm not going to get worked up about it. I don't know how I could have been clearer about my intentions to buy it, but I should have tried I guess. I could have found a way to get there right away if I'd known it was going to be pulled out from under me. In my opinion, you should at least let a buyer know if you need to sell something immediately, give them a chance. No big deal; someone else got a great deal. I don't really even hold it against the seller, as some folks don't really think about etiquette and such. Oh well...

Mind you that it's a made up PM conversation. So, don't take it personal.....

Msg #1: Do you still have it? I'd like to buy it.

Response: Yes, I still have it.

Msg #2: I'm interested in buying.

Response: Really, so are you saying that you'll take it?

Msg #3: Well I would....but....today is Monday and I'll need you to hold it for me until Saturday (when I get a day off).

Response: So? Are you saying that you'll take it only if I agree to hold it for you until Saturday?

Msg #4: Well YES.....Saturday is my day off. If so.....I'll take it on Saturday. BTW, where shall we meet? Are you coming down to Portland soon?

STOP, Stop, stop.....:s0123: IMHO, THIS is NOT how I'd like to see things get done. Why not? Move the conversation along. Get it down to business. What's wrong with....

Msg #1: IF you still have it. I'll take it. Here is my phone number __________. Let's try to get together this weekend if that's OK with you and your schedule. Call me to confirm and work out the details. Between 1000-1800 is best for me to take phone calls.

Of course if the buyer has failed to "close" the post long after it was already sold.....then the seller is a ______.

About Ph numbers......
Let's say you're the buyer or seller. But you have a "problem" with leaving your phone number. Perhaps, the seller or buyer will think that you're some sort of _______ .

Or someone who really just wants to drag this whole process out?

Yup.....a PM every hour will do. And, you'd better answer immediately. Cough, cough.....

So....what's so hard about communicating/actually speaking to each other?

Rrrrright.....it takes two people to tango (or mess this up). Choose wisely.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I learned recently that you really need to be very clear when you want something. I saw a great deal on something I wanted (not a gun). I sent a PM to see if the seller still had it, said clearly that I would like to buy it. He said yes. I responded that I wanted to buy it, just needed to make arrangements to travel to get it, might take a day or two. He responded that someone else had just sent that they would come get it right away, so it's his, sorry about that. :(

No, I wouldn't do that to someone, but I'm not going to get worked up about it. I don't know how I could have been clearer about my intentions to buy it, but I should have tried I guess. I could have found a way to get there right away if I'd known it was going to be pulled out from under me. In my opinion, you should at least let a buyer know if you need to sell something immediately, give them a chance. No big deal; someone else got a great deal. I don't really even hold it against the seller, as some folks don't really think about etiquette and such. Oh well...

This isn't buying from a store front. People have lives and can't necessarily get to the seller "This Afternoon" or "Tomorrow morning". I guess I've been lucky when buying, and so have the people that have bought from me I suppose. I tell someone I'll take it, in three days, I mean it. If I made a deal to pick up an item from a seller in a couple/three/four days, my word is good. If the seller were to contact me and told me a buyer could get there before me, so he's selling to them..... Seller's a dick, and going to get a feedback explaining exactly what kind a dick.

Did I mention must have been lucky these last 10 years??

Mind you that it's a made up PM conversation. So, don't take it personal.....

Msg #1: Do you still have it? I'd like to buy it.

Response: Yes, I still have it.

Msg #2: I'm interested in buying.

Response: Really, so are you saying that you'll take it?

Msg #3: Well I would....but....today is Monday and I'll need you to hold it for me until Saturday (when I get a day off).

Response: So? Are you saying that you'll take it only if I agree to hold it for you until Saturday?

Msg #4: Well YES.....Saturday is my day off. If so.....I'll take it on Saturday. BTW, where shall we meet? Are you coming down to Portland soon?

STOP, Stop, stop.....:s0123: IMHO, THIS is NOT how I'd like to see things get done. Why not? Move the conversation along. Get it down to business. What's wrong with....

Msg #1: IF you still have it. I'll take it. Here is my phone number __________. Let's try to get together this weekend if that's OK with you and your schedule. Call me to confirm. Between 1000-1800 is best for me to take phone calls.

Of course if the buyer has failed to "close" the post long after it was already sold.....then the seller is a ______.

About Ph numbers......
Let's say you're the buyer or seller. But you have a "problem" with leaving your phone number. Perhaps, the seller or buyer will think that you're some sort of _______ .

Or someone who really just wants to drag this whole process out?

Yup.....a PM every hour will do. And, you'd better answer immediately. Cough, cough.....

So....what's so hard about communicating/actually speaking to each other?

Rrrrright.....it takes two people to tango (or mess this up). Choose wisely.

Aloha, Mark

Mine was nothing like that at all, not even remotely, more along the lines of:

Me: I would like to buy it. Do you still have it?

Seller: Yes, I you're the first.

Me: OK, I want to buy it. I just need to figure out how and when to meet up. I may be able to make it work tomorrow, but it may take another day. What works for you? (It took me a few minutes to reply because I had to take a short work call just then)

Seller: Sorry, another guy just contacted me and said he'll take it now, so it's sold.

I can't really blame someone for wanting an easy, quick sale over someone who looks like they'll take a little longer to get there, but it would be nice to at least be given the option of "Hey, I need to sell this quick. I've got someone who can make that happen. Can you be here this evening?" instead of just pulled out from under me after committing to purchase.

Again, not a huge deal. I won't bad-mouth the seller. Some may not necessarily interpret my initial "I'd like to buy it" as a firm commitment. I meant it as such, but it wasn't "I'll take it!", so I guess there's room for interpretation. I'm not out anything but a potential good deal, so no harm done really. I learned my lesson to be quicker and more firm on a commitment if it's something I really want.

There have been times I have said "I'll take it" when it didn't take long to regret my statement/post...
And I have always stood by my word. Unfortunately there have been a few times I have been on the opposite side of the equation and the "buyer" sees no reason to back up their "I'll take it".

There have been times I have said "I'll take it" when it didn't take long to regret my statement/post...
And I have always stood by my word. Unfortunately there have been a few times I have been on the opposite side of the equation and the "buyer" sees no reason to back up their "I'll take it".
This may be why not all sellers instantly believe "I'll take it."

I do very little buying or selling, but what dealings I have had here have been really pretty good for the vast majority.

I don't get worked up when something doesn't work out either way. After all, I'm not really out anything other than a few minutes of my time and maybe some high hopes. No big deal.

I remember seeing one guy get so worked up over a missed deal, it was embarrassing. He posted "I'll take it" on a thread, but didn't realize someone else had already committed via PM. He was angry because he felt entitled due to his "I'll take it". He posted his extreme displeasure on the thread and sent nastygram PMs to the seller. I simply pointed out that there is no "I'll take it" rule on this forum, and then he sent a strongly worded PM to me. <ignore>

I do very little buying or selling, but what dealings I have had here have been really pretty good for the vast majority.

I don't get worked up when something doesn't work out either way. After all, I'm not really out anything other than a few minutes of my time and maybe some high hopes. No big deal.

I remember seeing one guy get so worked up over a missed deal, it was embarrassing. He posted "I'll take it" on a thread, but didn't realize someone else had already committed via PM. He was angry because he felt entitled due to his "I'll take it". He posted his extreme displeasure on the thread and sent nastygram PMs to the seller. I simply pointed out that there is no "I'll take it" rule on this forum, and then he sent a strongly worded PM to me. <ignore>

As a seller I wouldn't get worked up. As long as I'm not out anything. Stuff happens. If a buyer commits, and can't meet until the weekend and Friday comes and buyer had some issue? No sweat. Drop the SPF from the add, it will move. I still feel that in the case you mention the the guy was dishonest. I feel someone like that couldn't be fully trusted. That's my feelings anyway.

In my dealings here I've not met one person that wasn't a straight shooter.

You do NOT even have to click on a profile, just hover over it and you can see the persons Feedback. For the most part I take those numbers as GOLDEN. Here is what they mean to me about a guy either buyer or seller:

It either says---I am new, so roll the dice and take a chance.

It says I am a great trader---I won't hesitate doing business with them.

It says I am ok but have been a DICK in the past so could be a shaky trader.

No shows, slow respondents, etc---I don't have time or patients---BOOM negative feedback and move on.

One more comment while I have you reading---If you have to post in the forum "Still have this"--"Still available", "Still for sale". I will NOT do business with you or even give you an answer. If my post is open, then yes it is still for sale and still available. If you leave a post open after the item has been sold---BOOM negative feedback for you and we never even had contact.

PS---Mark (ma96782)---You sound like a guy I would definitely get along with. Surprised we have not yet crossed paths.

My favorite...
Buyer posted I'll take it in the ad, then pm'd and tried to low ball me.
Yeah, that's VERY bad form. :eek:

I had someone talk me down a few dollars, after we'd made a deal and met up. I realized it was most likely a cultural thing so I didn't take offense. It was a very small amount in relation to the total cost so I said fine, and laughed it off.

Communication with the other party is important.

I bought an item from a member here and had the money at the time of the sale.
But...
Life happened and I needed that money for something else...I let the seller know this.
Embarrassing to be sure , but important for the seller to know.
Lucky for me the seller understood .

At the end of the day , I did get the item and the seller did get paid.
But without communication and understanding , a sale might have fallen through and my word and reputation would have suffered.
Andy

Communication with the other party is important.

This is the most important part!

I had an I'll take it followed by a little PM-ing.
Then a week of nothing. Member was obviously on here, but wouldn't respond to any more PM's and the agreed payment never arrived.

First time in my dealing on here that I left negative feedback and relisted an item.
This was followed very shortly by someone else who isn't very good at communicating. Just barely enough to keep me from repeating my actions in the first instance.

Lol. I've always thought of "pm inbound" to mean the buyer is making a counter offer.
If you click on someone's picture/avatar a box comes up that includes "start conversation". Title it and write in the big box. Your message will go to his INBOX (upper right between Alerts and Your name). That will be a private conversation between the 2 of you. I use it to make an offer, include my name or phone number for better contact rather than to share all with everyone. At least that is how I use it

Buyer agrees to pay for gas, I drive from Portland to Lyle, WA and then backs out of deal after he claims he was not happy about damage on the firearm which was clearly photographed and mentioned in the description. Guess I'm new to this game.

Buyer agrees to pay for gas, I drive from Portland to Lyle, WA and then backs out of deal after he claims he was not happy about damage on the firearm which was clearly photographed and mentioned in the description. Guess I'm new to this game.

Wuff. Sorry to hear it. Did buyer at least honor their word to pay for gas? I'd be frustrated either way.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews