JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New shooter, about to go to a public lands range with some friends where no RO will be. I expect there to be other people there, and was wondering what type of etiquette there is when putting up and changing targets? Do I yell out sieze fire? What are the unwritten rules when out there aside from standard safety and clean up protocols? Appreciate any insight!

If there are just a few people, talk to them and coordinate. Shooting with few other people can be fun and informative. You might get to shoot different firearms and learn new things!
If the spot you go to has a lot of people, move on and find somewhere else for your own safety.

Agree to the "meet and greet" / coordination with the other shooters.
This is best done , before you start to unload your gear and set up to shoot.

Also Please clean up after yourself and others.
Left over shooting debris and other garbage is a sure fire way to get that shooting area closed and give gun owners a bad name.
Andy

New shooter, about to go to a public lands range with some friends where no RO will be. I expect there to be other people there, and was wondering what type of etiquette there is when putting up and changing targets? Do I yell out sieze fire? What are the unwritten rules when out there aside from standard safety and clean up protocols? Appreciate any insight!
I find a spot where it's only big enough for me and my group.

When you need to inspect/change your targets down range, wait for the other party to stop firing then let them know that you wish to go down range. "Range is cold" would be an appropriate announcement as you step out. Proper etiquette at that point would be for the other shooters to step back from the line, but not all shooters are proper so an occasional glance back over your shoulder is a good idea. Leave someone back on the line if you can.

If you arrive at a popular location and someone else is already there it is polite to discuss using the lane or area with them before just to ensure safety. If they agree to share the area, basic rules should be discussed for your own safety. If the other party isn't safe, it's best to just leave and go somewhere else vs get in any sort of confrontation with folks with guns. Some may take safety advice well, others like shooting in the woods as there are ZERO rules they have to follow. Knowing the difference between those two types can be difficult.

Depending on where you go, place targets before placing guns out. Don't leave guns unattended at the shooting line when down range. Bums and tweekers are known to frequent most if not all shooting lanes in the woods to collect brass and steal guns. They have also been known to steal from cars, so be vigilant and pay attention.

Pack in, pack out. Simply put, pick up anything you bring out and more. Bring a durable garbage bag or two. NWFA still issues a free bronze membership for collecting bags of garbage from shooting lanes I believe.

Set an example. Being new does not mean you can be ignorant. Don't shoot crap. Shoot actual purposely designed targets. Don't shoot garbage that only perpetuates the narrative of recreational shooting on public lands. Ask yourself, if I was at a real range, would they let me shoot this there? If the answer is no, well… Again, folks like the woods because they don't have to follow the rules or care about these things, folks like that are reason enough to close shooting areas vs opening or building more.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Plenty of other information on public lands and recreational shooting here.

www.trashnoland.org

If you arrive at a popular location and someone else is already there it is polite to discuss using the lane or area with them before just to ensure safety. If they agree to share the area, basic rules should be discussed for your own safety. If the other party isn't safe, it's best to just leave and go somewhere else vs get in any sort of confrontation with folks with guns. Some may take safety advice well, others like shooting in the woods as there are ZERO rules they have to follow. Knowing the difference between those two types can be difficult.

Depending on where you go, place targets before placing guns out. Don't leave guns unattended at the shooting line when down range. Bums and tweekers are known to frequent most if not all shooting lanes in the woods to collect brass and steal guns. They have also been known to steal from cars, so be vigilant and pay attention.

Pack in, pack out. Simply put, pick up anything you bring out and more. Bring a durable garbage bag or two. NWFA still issues a free bronze membership for collecting bags of garbage from shooting lanes I believe.

Set an example. Being new does not mean you can be ignorant. Don't shoot crap. Shoot actual purposely designed targets. Don't shoot garbage that only perpetuates the narrative of recreational shooting on public lands. Ask yourself, if I was at a real range, would they let me shoot this there? If the answer is no, well… Again, folks like the woods because they don't have to follow the rules or care about these things, folks like that are reason enough to close shooting areas vs opening or building more.

www.trashnoland.org
Considering that most ranges here in Puget Sound pizz their pretty pink panties at mere silhouettes... but yeah, good points all around. Bonus, you might get some mileage out of somebody else's once-fired brass too. :D

I went to beaver dam rock pits with like 20 other strangers and it actually wasn't that bad putting up a target but getting that many people to go cold can be a challenge! I say try north wolf creek if you get their early enough you basically get your own lane and can designate when you want to go cold. You need to be there getting setup by around 5am which is a turn off to most people but Personally I love north wolf creek if I have to get up at 4am and drive an hour to reserve a lane it's worth it!

Last Edited:
From a security standpoint, never be unarmed at public shooting sites. Never allow all firearms to be empty. I've had a couple of tweeker types walk up to "admire" my firearms, or comment on my shooting skills only to quickly end the conversation and leave when they notice the .357 on my belt. Never leave firearms out and unattended when down range.

From a security standpoint, never be unarmed at public shooting sites. Never allow all firearms to be empty. I've had a couple of tweeker types walk up to "admire" my firearms, or comment on my shooting skills only to quickly end the conversation and leave when they notice the .357 on my belt. Never leave firearms out and unattended when down range.
Also have at least one member of your group on Overwatch at all times, rotate the responsibility. With the walking dogcrap around here, PPE like a vest or carrier and plates can't hurt.

www.trashnoland.org
I've been up to psr with trash Boland, thinking about joining some of the cleanups as I'm a big on anti litter considering I'm from an ocean city and seeing trash on beaches grinds my gear. I'm all set up with paper targets and healing targets. Are there smaller sections other than the 4 lanes I keep seeing?

I've been up to psr with trash Boland, thinking about joining some of the cleanups as I'm a big on anti litter considering I'm from an ocean city and seeing trash on beaches grinds my gear. I'm all set up with paper targets and healing targets. Are there smaller sections other than the 4 lanes I keep seeing?
There are many dispersed shooting areas along that area due to NFWCs popularity. Some are safe and some aren't.

Another thing I forgot to add that is fairly important during this time of the year, bring a fire extinguisher and or a shovel and 2-4 gallons of water.

Going to do a shameless plug here since @Mrlomeli mentioned trash and clean-up.

Aug 13th we will be doing a clean-up at Mary's Peak at 9am. Great people, great food and great prize give aways.
See the thread in outdoor shooting areas.
Thank you
@Cogs has been promoting.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR