JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all.
Is there a thread on etiquette or rules for a sales post?
I already saw the bright red words talking about calling someone out on a price. That isn't what I mean.
I am in Oregon and plan to post 2 hand guns. I've never sold via FFL (Georgia private sales didn't require it like OR does)
So obviously I can simply meet local AT an FFL and do the transfer that way, but what is the general "normal" for the Left Coast?

Feel free to throw links to threads if I am revisiting the proverbial "dead horse"

I've made several purchases off of several forums and always either met at a range, or met at FFL for transfer.
I'm not sure about etiquette but that's what I've done.

From what I've found here on this site specifically:
- Post your asking price, don't auction it off or attempt to auction it off
- You'll see posts like "PM Inbound" which is someone essentially getting in line to buy. Try to honor the queue.
- There will be a transfer fee because of the background check process so state who is covering that in your ad. Some sellers offer to cover it if the buyer meets them at the asking price, otherwise it mostly falls on the buyer to cover the fee.

The normal is that you'll go to the FFL, the buyer will inspect the firearm and (usually) agree to buy it. The FFL will get your info and theirs. They'll give you some cash. Background checks these days can take, well, days. You're free to leave the deal with cash in hand. The buyer may have to leave the gun in the FFL's hands if their BG check doesn't clear right away...but what do you care, you've sold it!

All arms sales in Oregon must go through an FFL. Speaking for myself, I list the few FFL's that I'm will to do the transfer through, in the ad itself. Or my willingness to ship to their chosen FFL and the cost of that shipping. I always require the FFL information and have my FFL validate and ship.

Once a face to face deal is on, with a location, date and time settled, I provide my cell number and vehicle identification so the other party can easily reach me and identify me at the FFL.

That process has worked out well for me as both buyer and seller. That's just my experience.

YMMV

Speaking of sales on the Classifieds.

Why do people just say...."Sending PM"?

YES.....I realize that the OP may not be paying attention to his thread or mail. So, you're announcing that you're sending a PM. Isn't that nice? But IMHO, it doesn't sound like a commitment to buy.

SO THEN......

If someone has a question why not.....say so?
Example: Does the sale come with some extras (ammo, holster, etc...)?

If someone wants to do some small talk.....say so?
Example: Is this the same firearm that I saw you with last Saturday at the gun show? Will you be going to the Portland GS? Can I see it at the Portland GS this coming weekend?

If someone wants clarification of this or that......say so?
Example: Is this in a 1:7, 1:8, 1:9 or 1:12 twist barrel? How long is the barrel?

If someone wants to add or subtract material "conditions to the sale".......say so?
Example: I'll buy this item but I'll need a month to gather up all of the cash. I'll take it but I need to sell my _______ first.

SO THEN......

If someone wants the item why not just say...."I'll take it." In your PM you can work out the details.

BOTTOM LINE.......

IMHO, just saying......."Sending PM"......just sounds like a waste of time and leaves people wondering if an agreement to complete the sale was actually made.

Also speaking of a waste of time....

Ever notice the number of folks that don't bother to "close" their threads when the sale is done? :s0123:

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
From what I've found here on this site specifically:
- Post your asking price, don't auction it off or attempt to auction it off
- You'll see posts like "PM Inbound" which is someone essentially getting in line to buy. Try to honor the queue.
- There will be a transfer fee because of the background check process so state who is covering that in your ad. Some sellers offer to cover it if the buyer meets them at the asking price, otherwise it mostly falls on the buyer to cover the fee.

The normal is that you'll go to the FFL, the buyer will inspect the firearm and (usually) agree to buy it. The FFL will get your info and theirs. They'll give you some cash. Background checks these days can take, well, days. You're free to leave the deal with cash in hand. The buyer may have to leave the gun in the FFL's hands if their BG check doesn't clear right away...but what do you care, you've sold it!
Good review of the FFL procedure. One thing you left out is select a FFL that will hold the gun until Background
check clears. In some cases this could be weeks. This way you get paid right away. Some FFLs want the seller
to take the gun and come back with it when background clears. This could be weeks.:eek:

Last Edited:
Something I've seen is that someone will ask if an item is still available and but gets no response. However, a look at the OP's sig shows he/she was just on the forum minutes ago. I'm not sure if the OP is sending an answer via PM, but it would be helpful if it was posted publicly so others that are interested might know as well.

Some FFLs want the seller
to take the gun and come back with it when background clears. This could be weeks.:eek:

This ^^^ is a pain and one of the reasons I won't recommend Fisherman's for transfers. While I'd done several at Tigard Pawn 4 More and was able to leave with cash in hand once the FFL received my gun and info, Fisherman's required that I stay there until the background was complete. A hour and a half of MY time that I can't get back....

Lots of other good info here, too.

Speaking of sales on the Classifieds.

Why do people just say...."Sending PM"?

YES.....I realize that the OP may not be paying attention to his thread or mail. So, you're announcing that you're sending a PM. Isn't that nice? But IMHO, it doesn't sound like a commitment to buy.

SO THEN......

If someone has a question why not.....say so?
Example: Does the sale come with some extras (ammo, holster, etc...)?

If someone wants to do some small talk.....say so?
Example: Is this the same firearm that I saw you with last Saturday at the gun show? Will you be going to the Portland GS? Can I see it at the Portland GS this coming weekend?

If someone wants clarification of this or that......say so?
Example: Is this in a 1:7, 1:8, 1:9 or 1:12 twist barrel? How long is the barrel?

If someone wants to add or subtract material "conditions to the sale".......say so?
Example: I'll buy this item but I'll need a month to gather up all of the cash. I'll take it but I need to sell my _______ first.

SO THEN......

If someone wants the item why not just say...."I'll take it." In your PM you can work out the details.

BOTTOM LINE.......

IMHO, just saying......."Sending PM"......just sounds like a waste of time and leaves people wondering if an agreement to complete the sale was actually made.

Also speaking of a waste of time....

Ever notice the number of folks that don't bother to "close" their threads when the sale is done? :s0123:

Aloha, Mark

In my experience, buying things on other hobby forums (have yet to buy/sell here), the "sending PM" note in the thread serves a couple of purposes.

Most importantly, it gets you "in queue" in case there is a lot of interest in the item. It may take 5-10 minutes to write up the PM (clarifying question, location to meet, etc.), and someone else may be "quicker on the draw" and you may lose out on the desired purchase. Of course, it depends on the seller, as they get to pick who "wins" if two offers come in simultaneously...but at least in my experience on other forums, the earliest communication/post usually wins out. If the buyer is 100% confident in the purchase, I think "I'll take it" is a better post to make...but that's not always the case.

I also think the "PM incoming" helps show that sales are occurring (giving confidence to sellers/buyers) and helps show which items are popular or well priced (in the case of multiple "PM" or "backup" posts in response to the sale thread). Sales that occur only through PM are just fine of course, but personally as a newbie here I have more confidence buying when I see activity within the posting threads.

If you absolutely want the item, post something definitive like "I'll take it at your asking price." Then send a PM asking for payment preference and available meeting dates. Sellers take that much more seriously than a "PM sent" and an offer.

My thought on the "pm inbound" means that the possible buyer wants to have a private conversation with the seller. Yes, general questions should be asked in the post so that other people can see the new information.

Good review of the FFL procedure. One thing you left out is select a FFL that will hold the gun until Background
check clears. In some cases this could be weeks. This way you get paid right away. Some FFLs want the seller

This^^. For instance...Money Market Pawn at SE 136th and Powell ($35.00) enters the firearm in their book and will hold the gun until BGC completes. Seller takes his money and leaves. Buyer may have to wait a few hours/days and returns to Money Market to pick up their purchase.

A Cut Above Pawn at 18295 SW TV Highway ($25.00) does not enter the firearm into their books. Meaning that if a BGC is going to take several hours/DAYS, both buyer AND seller will need to return to the shop.

This ^^^ is a pain and one of the reasons I won't recommend Fisherman's for transfers. While I'd done several at Tigard Pawn 4 More and was able to leave with cash in hand once the FFL received my gun and info, Fisherman's required that I stay there until the background was complete. A hour and a half of MY time that I can't get back....

Lots of other good info here, too.

I'd never thought about using Fisherman's for a transfer? I got the idea when the universal BGC came on line that they weren't doing them? Then I recall they were charging a stoopid amount, like $50.00 or something?

It's also helpful to state in the ad that you're willing to ship, or not. Same for trades.
I avoid putting a "Or Best Offer" in the ad on the first day as the low ballers tend to clutter up the thread.
Better to research what firearms are going for and price accordingly.

My latest BGC about 2 weeks ago took less than a minute.

When I sold my .50 BMG rifle (July?) it took about a week for the BGC to go thru.

While we were waiting (Cut Above Pawn) I took the rifle home, the buyer took most of his cash home (he paid for some ammo) and we waited. The FFL does not need to hang onto the firearm and I would not want to deal with an FFL that did that unless the firearm was shipped to them from a remote seller. I can't see why an FFL would want to go thru that hassle if they didn't have to - but some FFLs are just weird.

My latest BGC about 2 weeks ago took less than a minute.

When I sold my .50 BMG rifle (July?) it took about a week for the BGC to go thru.

While we were waiting (Cut Above Pawn) I took the rifle home, the buyer took most of his cash home (he paid for some ammo) and we waited. The FFL does not need to hang onto the firearm and I would not want to deal with an FFL that did that unless the firearm was shipped to them from a remote seller. I can't see why an FFL would want to go thru that hassle if they didn't have to - but some FFLs are just weird.
You hear that @LuckySG , you weird :s0140:

This^^. For instance...Money Market Pawn at SE 136th and Powell ($35.00) enters the firearm in their book and will hold the gun until BGC completes. Seller takes his money and leaves. Buyer may have to wait a few hours/days and returns to Money Market to pick up their purchase.

A Cut Above Pawn at 18295 SW TV Highway ($25.00) does not enter the firearm into their books. Meaning that if a BGC is going to take several hours/DAYS, both buyer AND seller will need to return to the shop.

I'd never thought about using Fisherman's for a transfer? I got the idea when the universal BGC came on line that they weren't doing them? Then I recall they were charging a stoopid amount, like $50.00 or something?

I would not do Fisherman's - especially not the one in Delta Park. They charge too much and take too long and have unnecessary procedures - IMO - kind of like Cabela's only not as bad as they have much less traffic than Cabela's. I've done it with Fisherman's a few times because that is where the seller wanted to go, but otherwise do not recommend them.

Unless a gun is of current manufacture new in the box (in other words "this thing is just like all the others"), I cannot imagine saying "I'll take it" without seeing it. Even a new gun in the box may have wood that does not appeal to me, thus also requiring inspection before commitment.

"PM Sent" I would trust to be honored by the seller in the order it was posted. My PM may indeed tell the owner "I'll take it" (upon inspection) at the asking price. More likely I will ask a couple questions and express a sincere desire to see the gun in hand. If my questions would benefit others regarding the sale (and are not derogatory), I may post them on the thread. Other questions may be entirely of my own interest (travel arrangements, etc.) and better done in a private setting.

"PM Sent" does serve a purpose. More than one quite often.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top