JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Iconic 1911 Pistols Have Finally Been Retired From Marine Corps Service

24489d4aeba3137c2ee76e19d2bfe283.jpg

My Remington R1S Enhanced is my favorite pistol of all time. It's a dream to shoot even though it is bone stock. The trigger is the best I've ever used. The target was the final exam in a class I took recently. It's the police qualifying course of fire, which includes rounds from 20 yards, 10 yards, and 7 yards. It also included one hand shots using both strong hand and off hand. Scored 97 out of 100. I fired 250 rounds through it that day, and could have done 250 more. The 1911 is awesome. John Moses Browning is a saint.

TargetCourse.jpg GunInv2016-1911-4.jpg

I should check with my buddies on SRT. See if they have swapped. I bet they're real happy…..

They were pretty pumped to get the 1911 and finally move away from the M9. That didn't last long.

My Remington R1S Enhanced is my favorite pistol of all time. It's a dream to shoot even though it is bone stock. The trigger is the best I've ever used. The target was the final exam in a class I took recently. It's the police qualifying course of fire, which includes rounds from 20 yards, 10 yards, and 7 yards. It also included one hand shots using both strong hand and off hand. Scored 97 out of 100. I fired 250 rounds through it that day, and could have done 250 more. The 1911 is awesome. John Moses Browning is a saint.

View attachment 1443127View attachment 1443128
I agree with you on the R1 E. Mine has a sweet trigger right @ 3.5 pounds. Brimstone Machining designed and made a mount to accept my Leupold Delta Pro which "enhanced" my old eyes considerably!
Picture is before the front sight removal. I've never turned the sight off, I have only put three batteries in it since early 2016 when the mount was made, Replaced just because, as there was no indication It needed to be done.
IMGP0103.JPG

I fondly remember taking possession of my first 1911. It was in January 2011. I'd figured, "Every man should have a 1911!" And it was 11 months later that I decided I should start loading my own, seeing as Wifey and I could go through $40.00 worth of ammo in an hour or so at the range!
That Kimber Stainless II has been a fine gun.

I carried the same one through all 4 tours in Vietnam. Never had an issue with it, and it saved my hide on many more than one occasion. Currently own several and am happy with all of them, including the one my dad gave me for my 11th birthday.

One more time....

When I was about 18 I felt I needed an 'Army .45' so a guy I knew had one for sale and brought it over one evening.

Ok so it's in what appears to be an original leather Army shoulder holster and I take it out, clear it and look it over.

So I see on the frame it says 'S. Mfg Company'

Well he wanted $250 for it but I passed on it because I wanted a 'real' Colt .45.

'S. Mfg Company' - Singer Mfg Company......

One more time....

When I was about 18 I felt I needed an 'Army .45' so a guy I knew had one for sale and brought it over one evening.

Ok so it's in what appears to be an original leather Army shoulder holster and I take it out, clear it and look it over.

Well he wanted $250 for it but I passed on it because I wanted a 'real' Colt .45.

Ouch!

I'd never shot a handgun befor boot camp so the first ever was a GI Issue 1911-A1. I fired one round and saw where the bullet hole was and adjusted my point of aim and tore the center out of the bullseye. I just thought that was what I was supposed to do, but I did after the fact hear all the reasons it couldn't be done. Ever since that day in July of 1975 a 1911 has felt like an old friends hand shake every time I pick one up.

One more time....

Live and learn.
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/but-its-not-a-colt.451075/page-3#post-3599051

I fondly remember taking possession of my first 1911. It was in January 2011. I'd figured, "Every man should have a 1911!" And it was 11 months later that I decided I should start loading my own, seeing as Wifey and I could go through $40.00 worth of ammo in an hour or so at the range!
That Kimber Stainless II has been a fine gun.
I feel the same way about my STI 2011

I think it would be awesome and ironic if the military ended up adopting one of the "2011" offerings that are becoming more popular now...

the 1911 will always live on...

I am pretty content with my one and only 1911 now - a 1991 A1 I bought new in 2003 and although a Series 80 I have polished up the internals and it's dang near that of a good Series 70 trigger.

Its also very accurate and with good handloads (and benchrested) will shoot into 1.5" at 25 yards but off the bench I can bounce nearly any pinecone I shoot at!

IMG_1367.JPG

I examined one of the original MEU SOC pistols when they were first issued around 1999 or so - I was surprised how relatively sloppy it was.

My first 1911 was a colt guard model 70 with pachmyar grips. This was back in 1981. I use to drive cross country such as going from Grotton Sub School to San Diego. That pistol used to ride in the passenger seat. Gave me great comfort. Somewhere along my time in the Navy I traded it off. Dumb on me
The last one I saw was over 1800$ at the old gun broker on 82nd
I have several others now but that one has a place in my history

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR