JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
These work really well, I use on on an annual 9 day motorcycle trip every year. The one I have will also jump start a battery, pretty crazy what these things can do.

The Li battery packs are pretty good these days. Be aware of their limitations though. They have a high failure rate so if it's dropped and it kills the electronics then it's just dead weight. While I have one that I've been using for a couple of years now with no problem, it was replaced twice under warranty. Weight is another consideration. Also, they lose their charge quickly in cold weather. Still, their advantages are solid (power).
You could always get a solar generator but that will start to cost $$. It wouldn't hurt to bring one or several Li battery packs with you. At least one of them should be rated to jump start your vehicle, which their are plenty of options.

If a person wanted to recharge their cell phone while out in the wilderness; away from their vehicle and utilities for @ 48 hours, and not depending on solar power, what product is light enough and yet, powerful enough to do the job?

Hand cranks look cheap.
Storred energy is looking the best.

One example:

https://www.amazon.com/20000mAh-Ext...JZM846W7S49&psc=1&refRID=YECBR6ZKQJZM846W7S49

Any thoughts on this subject welcomed.

I used to have the hand crank deals long ago, they did work. Battery tech has gotten so good now no longer bother. Have several of the candy bar size and in each vehicle now the one that is about the size of 2 1# deals of butter that can actually jump start a car. They would run a cell phone for a hell of a long time.

What I have used is a phone case to protect the phone, that has an extra battery to extend the battery life of the phone. The ones I have bought are made by Mophie.

https://www.amazon.com/mophie-Juice...ry+samsung+s6&qid=1550236767&s=gateway&sr=8-9

They have different capacities but they generally have at least enough for a full charge. They are always charged because the charging is "pass thru"; you plug in the charger to the pack and the phone charges, then the pack charges. Generally the pack doesn't discharge by itself very fast - it maybe needs a charge once a week or two unless you use it to charge the phone.

When the phone battery gets low, you flip a small switch on the pack and it charges the phone about as quickly as a charger would. You can use the phone while charging.

Downsides: Makes the phone thicker and heavier about twice as heavy and thick. Most cases make the phone heavier and thicker - but they usually do protect the phone.

Upside: it is always there and almost always charged. Once you charge the phone, if you wish you can just remove the phone from the case.

Most phones have a battery saving mode. When I set my phone on max save mode it extends the life of it by quite a bit, but I lose some functionality - many of the apps won't work in max battery save mode. YMMV depending on the phone and provider.

I use a Dark Energy charger. Lasts me at about five days and a Goal Zero backpack size solar panel just in case the charger runs out. Both are light and reasonably compact to carry. Both products cone up for sale pretty often.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top