JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So long story short I am taking @SparksFly elk, deer, and bear hunting this year, already have a great place for elk and bear (disclosed), but am wondering. We would be doing a spot and stalk or still hunting.
Elk:
I have a mouth call, do I need something to amplify the sound such as a form of tube? Is a 100 grain cut-on-impact arrowhead enough? What would be better to hunt, the clearcut or the edge of the timber (very thick)? How big of a cooler?

Deer:
Good places near Portland? Clear cut or woods? Calls?

Bear:
I read you need to have the bear checked out by ODFW but was wondering if anybody here has killed a bear and what it was like.

Thank Y'all

Well if your elk hunting I've always heard the coastal areas a good.

Not many places close to portland.

A good thing to remember is if it's easy to get to you probably will be with several other hunters and there will probably be no animals.

Watch out for meth heads.

And If I'm not mistaken you can only use a call for archery.

You can use calls all you want as long as they are not electronic for big game animals.

If you're archery hunting during the rut you'll be bugling and to get that sound out there probably a bugle tube of some sort will help. A cow call is also a good choice. I use a cow call during rifle season, to cover up me making too much noise going through the brush, as well as stopping elk when they bust. Sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.

Deer make noise too but blacktails and mulies aren't as vocal as whitetails.
Grunt's and rattling can work for deer during their rut.

You will need to have your bear checked at a ODFW check station or office. I believe the game regs state a specific time frame for having them checked. They also want the reproductive tract of female bears and have a little instruction sheet that shows you what to pull out of the gut pile.

They will pull a tooth, mark down on a map where abouts you killed it, and in my case, gave me a rough idea of weight. Last bear I killed in spring of 2012 was an 8yr old roughly 250 lb boar. They send the tooth in and you get a post card telling you age.

I've killed two bears. One during elk season and one the first time I went spring bear hunting. Spring bear hunting is fun, cuz the forest is full of life that isn't getting pushed around by hunters like in the fall. We see all kinds of wildlife in the spring bear woods. Not a lot of people scaring everything off.

Back straps... deer, elk, bear, whateva you got.
Salt, pepper, garlic powder.
Grill indirect 260 degree heat until meat reaches 140 degrees or so.
Sear in cast iron skillet with butter on all sides
Wrap in foil and put in fridge for about 10 min.
Crack open a beer and enjoy...

For the wife and my 5th anniversary we went to S. Lake Tahoe for a few days. We got married there 5 years ago mid March. Our anniversary dinner was pretty spendy but I must admit, my $42.00 Elk Chop with wild mountain cherry glaze was dam well worth it. I ordered it medium rare and the chef approached blue rare on it. It was delicious and seemed like they'd just dressed it from the hunt...damn near melted in my mouth.

I highly recommend the food at the Edgewater Resort Restaurant down there. My wife's seafood stew was pretty impressive and we had a salads and a cheese plate that was amazing.

Brutus Out

Last Edited:
I was going to opine until I read "arrowhead" because you might as well put your whistle in drawer if you are rifle hunting. Maiming big game by arrows takes precedent over rifle hunters as evident with moving deer and elk season into the next millennia making calling in an elk or rattling in a buck moot.
If you are a ways past rut, you may attract the odd ball punk here and there but in general their psyche has already mellowed to the point of disinterest.
Oh, wait, I guess I opined anyway:confused:

Hi Sparks, 100gr arrow head is pretty standard, getting a better quality broadhead will help as I have heard some will break on impact. I think I saw on one forum that shooting a phone book and having the arrow remain intact is an okay way to see the quality of the broadhead.

Spend some time on youtube to see how others call elk, it was eye opening for me.

Elk move a ton, but in my experience, when there is hunting pressure they stay out of clear cuts and travel a few yards into the trees. I find more elk moving in areas where their antlers won't constantly be banging on trees. Thinned out forests or 3-7 year old firs seem to have the most elk sign.

Blacktails are a mystery for me, however I will no longer be trying to bow hunt them, I have seen too many at 100 yards with a bow in my hand.

I used primos cow call and still do while elk hunting. I think they're like 10$.
I rifle hunt and use the call only if I need to stop the animal or to get its interest.
Years back I did use it to pull this bull out of some reprod to take a look what that cow call was.

image.jpg

Quick update. Now in elk season and we are going out in about a week. He decided to make it interesting with his recurve bow and has been practicing a lot and getting good groups. He wants to check out an area in the White River unit and if we have no luck there then off to the Saddle Mountain unit.

Well good luck to you guys.
A friend that hunts elk A LOT gave me these tips;
1) Get up and be where you want to hunt at 0 dark thirty.
2) Snooze in truck til 1/2 hour before daylight
3) Sneak out to the very edge of the field where you know the elk are.
4) Wait 3 hours for the herd to graze to within 50 yards of said location. DO NOT CALL, they will bust you!!!
5) And most importantly, DO NOT MISS THE ONLY SHOT you will likely have that morning...
WP952017091595010.jpg

20170920_113915.jpg 20170920_151831.jpg

4) Wait 3 hours for the herd to graze to within 50 yards of said location. DO NOT CALL, they will bust you!!!
5) And most importantly, DO NOT MISS THE ONLY SHOT you will likely have that morning...
View attachment 392491

View attachment 392495 View attachment 392496
Solid advice Caveman! Heading out with him again after a quick trip to the white river area for deer but no luck. Hoping for more deer and maybe elk if we are lucky this weekend up in part of Tilamook State Forest about level with Scapoose.

Well if your elk hunting I've always heard the coastal areas a good.

Not many places close to portland.

A good thing to remember is if it's easy to get to you probably will be with several other hunters and there will probably be no animals.

Watch out for meth heads.

And If I'm not mistaken you can only use a call for archery.
My USCG son had them constantly in his yard and neighborhood near Astoria. They were a real hazard going to work in the morning on foggy days. His in laws have them in there pasture near Rainier nearly any day too.......how close do you want them to Portland.....in a city park?

View attachment 392491

View attachment 392495 View attachment 392496
We used to hunt elk a lot in the Washington Blue mountains. We learned that if we went into the field before daylight, we would push the animals out and never get a shot. After doing that several times we started going after shooting times and had a 90% success rate over 3 years.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top