JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty much my current pack out. However great it is to have when needed, a chainsaw would be way better. That downed tree kicked my bubblegum.
Yep, that kit will kick your a$$ for sure.
Especially if you are facing multiple blow downs.

This might be nice to have if going with the Makita system...
Makita USA - Product Details -DC18SE
471272b1-d768-465e-8c56-94f69ec1955a_dc18se_p_1500px.png

My Willys is being built as a complete go anywhere adventuring vehicle. (not some silly off road trail vehicle nor a rock crawler) I want to be able to drive it to somewhere as far as Death Valley when I get there I want to be able to explore etc. Along these lines I have been thinking on my "Pioneer tools" and when it comes to wood cutting like I said above my main tool will be a large 30" bow saw with at least one extra blade. But just like my carry gun I will change it up depending on where I am going. Now if I am headed to sage brush and juniper desert the Bow saw will be all I take. If on the other hand I am headed in timber or planning on traveling little used forest service or logging roads. I have a 16" Sears chainsaw that I plan on having set up to add to my kit when appropriate. Just like when I travel to Portland I keep the little Bauer 25 auto in my back pocket but add either my Bulldog Pug or depending on clothing maybe an Astra A-90 9mm. Very different level of treat in Portland then down town Silverton! Same same with off road adventures.

If I was planning on heading to an area that could get or has snow I would sure be packing a full tilt shovel. While the rest of the time a short handle narrow blade dirt shovel is going to be in the kit.

Stihl as well as others sell non-ethanol pre mixed gas in quarts in a metal sealed can for cheap. I've kept one in my jeep with zero smell, even on a hot day. As far as the saw itself smelling that would depend on the quality of your saw's caps. Like I mentioned Stihl for a reason. I would never trust any battery operated chainsaw any more than a cordless drill. The batteries simply will not last, if you get caught with a downed tree across the road how will a half cut tree help you out when the battery poops out?

How big are you talking? Because you could probably just go with a battery powered sawzall, along with/as a supplement to your current kit.
If you can cut it with a Sawzall, you can probably drive over it.
I like the idea of the premix. We use them on the job....the yard guy buys it, so I never checked the price.
You know, a can or two of premix and an empty gas saw might not be a bad way to go for a truck kit.
A little Stihl or the baby Husky would be what I would choose if going with gas for a truck saw.

If you can cut it with a Sawzall, you can probably drive over it.
I like the idea of the premix. We use them on the job....the yard guy buys it, so I never checked the price.
You know, a can or two of premix and an empty gas saw might not be a bad way to go for a truck kit.
A little Stihl or the baby Husky would be what I would choose if going with gas for a truck saw.

Sounds as OP is in a car, and asking on electric/battery options.

Sawzall works pretty decent for what they can cut safely, I think they have 12" blades available as well. That would get one a good start for a band saw/axe on a "big one" down.

Took one along on Dirt Roads Across Maine a few years back. While there were a few chain saws in the group, the lead vehicle borrowed my sawzall and used it far more than a chain saw. YMMV though.

Can pick them off of Craigslist/Pawn for pretty cheap. Can likely find lithium battery packs reasonable as well with some looking. Haven't looked out here, but back East average was <50% price of new, and some were new in package.

Remember gloves and eye protection. Please.

If going chainsaw, then chaps/other protective gear as well. Especially considering the OP won't be routinely using it...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top