JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Umm, yeah, I guess, but aren't tires sized to the weight of the car? Do Cadillacs go through tires faster than Mini Coopers?

I'm not saying they don't, it's just something I never heard of, I guess.
Electric motors have massive acceleration capabilities, far more than a gasoline engine.

EVs are for sissies, I am designing a vehicle that runs on this free energy device.

1699312728276.png

I haul travel trailers over the USA. Torque will wear your tires more than weight. I use sumitomo encounter at tires exclusively because I get 110k out of them. If I leave the tires on the rear which is about 1.5k lighter when loaded than the front, they wear out much faster than the front. That is just my experience.
I also see so many ev charging stations that are not working. Many people have to set for 2 to 3 hours to get charged. I also see mobile charging vehicles on the roadside charging electric vehicles.

I will stick with my diesel pickup that gets about 22 to 24 @ 75 mph across the country. We should not be subsidizing anything.

You would be shocked if you knew the cost of wind turbine repairs.

Green energy is great but not ready for prime time yet.

I haul travel trailers over the USA. Torque will wear your tires more than weight. I use sumitomo encounter at tires exclusively because I get 110k out of them. If I leave the tires on the rear which is about 1.5k lighter when loaded than the front, they wear out much faster than the front. That is just my experience.
I also see so many ev charging stations that are not working. Many people have to set for 2 to 3 hours to get charged. I also see mobile charging vehicles on the roadside charging electric vehicles.

I will stick with my diesel pickup that gets about 22 to 24 @ 75 mph across the country. We should not be subsidizing anything.

You would be shocked if you knew the cost of wind turbine repairs.

Green energy is great but not ready for prime time yet.
Rear tires, wearing faster than fronts. I think I know what the problem is...

1699314259980.png

Have you ever charged it on a highway trip, at an EV charging station? How long did that take? How far does your car run on a single charge?

I realize that is not how you usually use it, and the car does sound perfect for your normal use case. I'm just wondering if it takes less than 3 hours at a EV charging station, not the 20A charger in your garage.
We have charged it at a few places where it's free, not that we needed to, just wanted to see how it works in the event we needed to use that service.

Don't electric car batteries only last 8 years? It seems your little dream ride is getting close to worthless.
According to service records, the batteries were replaced under warranty a few years ago. Since the range of the vehicle meets, or on some trips exceeds, the original manufacturer's specification, the only thing that appears worthless is your assessment of the vehicle's value.

So of course the plot thickens.
Now, your $10,000 car needs a $10,000 battery.
How far can a $1,000 car travel at 30 mpg on $19,000 of gasoline? Lulz.
:D

My gas powered Mercedes has required a total of less than $3000 in maintenance in the last 8 years. This includes tires and oil. She's still gorgeous, fast and comfortable. Just like I like my women. :D The battery, which ironically lasts about 8 years, is about $250 if I want a reeeeealy good one.

The batteries will never wear out? Where can I get some of those?
Everything wears out; like pistons, rings, cylinders, connecting rods, valves; not to mention transmissions, radiators, the list goes on and on. EVs are not immune from parts wearing out; there's just less of them in the drivetrain, much less. There's no doubt battery storage will expire before a gas tank, but for a rig that logs <1000 miles a year around town, eh.

I guess we will see this winter when all the ev are plugged into the power grid if this was a smart move to go ev.

Reading some and the ev trucks will be a huge drain on the power supply. I suspect the government will regulate when a vehicle can be charged in order to keep the grid up.

Everything wears out; like pistons, rings, cylinders, connecting rods, valves; not to mention transmissions, radiators, the list goes on and on. EVs are not immune from parts wearing out; there's just less of them in the drivetrain, much less. There's no doubt battery storage will expire before a gas tank, but for a rig that logs <1000 miles a year around town, eh.
Granted, but my drivetrain only wears when it's running. A simple fluid replacement and some minor adjustments keep it happy for hundreds of thousands of miles. Your battery shelf life ends sooner or later whether you use it or not. Not as fast as when you use it, but still, the clock is ticking. At 1000 miles per year, my car would last the rest of my life. Yours will certainly not, unless you come to a most unfortunate end.

Also, a study recently showed that the average cost to charge an EV, minus subsidies, is equivalent to paying $16 per gallon for gas. Now, that won't affect you as much as EV owners who use their cars more.

In terms of overall cost, you seem to have made a good choice. I'm assuming a $10,000 price tag and batteries replaced under warrantee means that you received a rather large subsidy on a new car, or at least find yourself in a good position dollar-wise for now. And the federal government would only have wasted that money somewhere else if you hadn't gotten it, so good on you for wrestling some of that money back. Just because a technology isn't economically viable doesn't mean a smart person can't enjoy it without going broke. And at $10,000 purchase price, you can ditch the car in 10 years when the batteries will surely be dead and be in relatively good shape. The car's peers will be long dead, their worthless carcasses reduced to scrap, their non-recyclable batteries rotting away in some recycling center until some future generation deals with them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top