JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I suspect if the power grid fails this winter it will be due to ev charging. You can imagine the outcry as people die from no heat and people can't get their rigs charged for work.

Point being is changing to ev wasn't thought out at all and it could hurt us really bad. Grid goes down and what factories and jobs we have can't run.

I suspect if the power grid fails this winter it will be due to ev charging. You can imagine the outcry as people die from no heat and people can't get their rigs charged for work.

Point being is changing to ev wasn't thought out at all and it could hurt us really bad. Grid goes down and what factories and jobs we have can't run.
I miss when Americans got along with each other better and our long-term planning errors didn't cost trillions of dollars.

You mean, about 20 minutes? In my younger days I would try to drive 600 miles - 10 hours per day. That's too much for me now, but in your example you leave the house fully charged, drive 350 miles, charge for 20 minutes, drive for another 250 miles.

That doesn't seem bad at all, very comparable to stopping to fill up with gasoline.

Do you know how long it takes to recharge a non-Tesla on the road? I'm guessing much longer than 20 minutes, at least until the other manufacturers concede that Elon is King! and adopt the Tesla recharging standard. :D
Yeah, 20 minutes 😀. My daughter has a Mach E, depending on the charger it takes them 2-3 times longer to charge than me. They have a lot more chargers to choose from, but according to them, most don't work when you need them. Specially the high amp ones.
Being older, even when we go on road trips in the Vette, we generally don't go over 350 miles a day, and make a couple stops to stretch going that far 😠.

we generally don't go over 350 miles a day, and make a couple stops to stretch going that far 😠

That's not too bad. When we used to come home from the airport with the wife's daughter, she usually wanted to stop somewhere to eat, even if the trip home was less than an hour. Grrr. :mad:

Yeah, 20 minutes 😀. My daughter has a Mach E, depending on the charger it takes them 2-3 times longer to charge than me. They have a lot more chargers to choose from, but according to them, most don't work when you need them. Specially the high amp ones.
Being older, even when we go on road trips in the Vette, we generally don't go over 350 miles a day, and make a couple stops to stretch going that far 😠.
Don't forget that "fast charging" your battery approximately halves its expected lifespan. That is just how our modern battery technology works, and it is true of phones, laptops, cars and everything else. This is something most consumers are blissfully unaware, and device manufactures are loathe to call attention to. If you want the longest battery life you have to take the slow charge every single time. If you do not say good bye to your capacity.

As another observation is EV cars are just not built with the long term owner in mind. They are designed for the short term "owner," the type of people who will sign a 5 year lease and trade out their old car for a new one when the lease is up. There was an ICE car maker who ran the same way, anyone remember Saturn? Their cars were loved by the lease holders; good price, lots of options "great value." Problem was they were not built to last, and most of them developed fatal issues at right around the 5 year mark (the average lease length). Try to find a Saturn on the used car market now, more than a decade after they went out of business. I am willing to bet the only ones you can find only had a Saturn badge, and actually ran Honda under the hood. Anything with a Saturn engine has died years ago, cooked to death by its own short-term engineering paradigm. They always had garbage resale value, as anyone silly enough to buy one found out when it started having problems. They were designed to be disposable, buying them as something you could rely on long term was never their intention.

EVs will be the same, as the primary and most expensive component (the battery) has a built-in shelf life that technology has not overcome yet. If you can keep an EV limping along for 10 or 15 years (far less if all you do is fast charge) it will do so with a fraction of its originally rated range, and will be worth next to nothing on the used market. This may be all well and good for people who are willing to pay nearly full asking price for a vehicle over 5 years on a lease and then sign up to do it all over again when that lease is up, but for everyone else who does not want to burn money like that, well EVs are going to prove a very tough lesson in how costly early adoption is for this kind of technology.

Call me when they sort out solid state batteries all the way. That technology promises to be nearly 100% durable over the long term. They just need to sort out all the bugs first.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top