JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been exploring the woods a lot lately. Got caught behind a downed tree and ended up spending an hour hacking at it with an axe and hand saw.

I don't really want to keep a gas operated saw in the car as well as extra gas too stinky.

Anyone have experience with electric saws?

I've heard the power is the same or better. But, how is battery life?

Thanks!

Reno911

I have quite a bit of experience with electric chainsaws, good ones are good, cheap ones suck.

I have no experience with battery powered chainsaws but I would be highly dubious about the amount of work you could do with one.

I have a Milwaukee electric chainsaw from the 80's.
<broken link removed>
It works great. There are two things to watch out for.
1. Make sure the chain is sharp. A slightly dull chain will cause it to cut slowly.
2. Have a big enough extension cord. Length and size (10/12 guage).

I guess I should add that I'm looking at something battery operated. Basically would be used for getting out of my above mentioned scenario and an occasional trip in to get some wood for the fire pit.

40V MAX* Lithium Ion XR Brushless 16" Chainsaw - DCCS690M1 | DEWALT

Not a recommendation but just experience. I got this dewalt which was ~$300. After about 5 cuts the chain cut into the plastic housing. I replaced the plastic housing (after a terrible experience with Dewalt where they could not get me the part and refused to refund my charge so I had to do a charge back and ordered the part elsewhere). 5 more cuts and it cut into the housing again. (chain was properly tightened) Had to dremel a giant groove into the plastic so it would not catch the chain. Didnt want to pay the huge shipping cost to get a refund.

So I bought a gas chainsaw. so much better. the dewalt is ok for 1" branches.

These electric saws are 90% plastic. Its a race to the bottom with these corporations for product quality.

Battery seems decent but something like $200 to replace.

I'd say stick with a gas saw.

@Reno911 How would you make sure the battery stays charged? Would you rotate two of them every week? Maybe just put a fresh one in when you may be going into the woods? What are your thoughts about keeping it charged?
I've been into radio control cars for a while. Lipo battery's have, for the most part, a pretty low self discharge. That being said, they tend to hold their charge pretty well. Quality depending of coarse. For instance I have a bunch of good quality 18650's in my flashlights. They hold 75% charge after a year of intermittent use. I pop them in the charger and throw em back in for another year.

I don't need a saw often. So I figure if just make sure a battery or two has a good charge before heading out.

Thanks for the recommendation @DirectDrive @bolus @uscsoldier.

I tend to agree with sticking with gas, just consider getting a decent chainsaw case. The gas tanks are pretty tight on these things these days. Even on my beat up old Husqy,nothing spills or leaks when it rolls around.
You don't need anything huge to get you out of the scenario you described. An 18" bar would be more than adequate. A tank of gas would get you a lot further than a battery. A battery powered chainsaw would be great for yard work though.

I have a Remington electric (16" IIRC) that I use after fire restrictions have gone into effect and gasoline powered equipment can't be used. It isn't quite as good as the gas saw but it beats using a hand saw. Overall I'm satisfied with it.

Even though I personally would never go with an electric, I'm a gas man, a 2-stroke gas man, consider that you could let the electric sit for years as long as you charged the battery from time to time. With a gas saw you'd need to make sure it was drained and had a shot of treatment in the carb/crankcase, to be sure it would fire and run if it wasn't used for six months +/-. And then the can of gas you keep in the garage for it? Same issues.

I have to deal with the issues of power equipment and bad gas a couple of times a year, but I do my own work and just take the carb down and fix the stuff myself. Dealing with power equipment dealer/shops is a painful expeience. They treat you like crap, are lousy at trouble shooting and will charge a bunch and may not even fix the issues. A bunch of them are glorified parts changers, NOT mechanics/techs!

Last Edited:
Bow saw, two extra blades and a Fiskars 36" axe. About $40 total.
Pretty much my current pack out. However great it is to have when needed, a chainsaw would be way better. That downed tree kicked my bubblegum.

Then there's always this... the exploding chainsaw. Dang. The guy was probably running nitro methane in it or it was highly modified. Article didn't say.

Pennsylvania man dies day after chainsaw malfunction
That type of accident has to be one in several million chances of happening.
Chainsaw injuries as we all know, are typically lacerations.
Know the tool and take the precautions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads