JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

shooting, eating, and killing

• I only shoot paper

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • I only shoot critters I intend to eat

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I shoot anything that moves

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • I only shoot critters I intend to eat... most of the time

Votes: 40 49.4%

• Total voters
Reactions
I shot plenty of frogs and songbirds and rabbits when I was a kid, but my Dad found out and put an abrupt stop to that. Since then I have practiced a strict eat-what-you-shoot approach. Recently, I was sorely tempted by a sage rat hunting trip, but ended up passing.

Where do you stand on the issue?

I'd say my thoughts on the issue aren't represented by the poll. I only kill living things for a reason. The biggest of which is for food. But I'm not above aiding in population control or removal of invasive species, even when I have no intention of eating the kill.

Hunt to Kill, Kill to hunt, eat what you kill

- Great White Hunter

Kill em and grill em

- Ted Nugent

Sage rat taste like chicken

- cliche

But why not eat a sage rat? that will be the food of the apocalypse ? you guys in the survival forum must have some good recipes are they parasite infested rabbit and pork

most of eat pork right. ever took a pc of uncured pork and stuck it in a dark room then turn on the lights?

http://www.ehow.com/how_2093117_cook-ground-squirrels.html

I look at varmint hunting as a separate issue from hunting game species. For game species, I only shoot what I will eat. It will remain that way until someone comes up with a dynamite recipe for Coyote or Crow. :s0114:

As a kid I blasted anything that moved. I became quick on the draw and acquiring the target with my .22LR.

Now I am more content with group size, meat and the experience.

Now you guys aren't going to eat the home intrueder after shooting him are you ?????

Maybe

anthony_hopkins_hannibal_lecter.jpg

Most of the time I practice "what you kill you eat".

My exception has been sage rats. When I was younger we used Dad's muzzle loaders to help the local farmers. I didn't feel too bad about not eating them when I saw that when you killed one, another one would come out and start to gnaw on his recently deceased (nice way to say obliterated) buddy.

My rule since then has been if you will eat your buddy you deserve what you get :)

anything you kill becomes a meal or four for other animals, if you don't take it home... so it's never "wasted." i dont go leaving a trail of carnage through the forest, but i'll stop and blast varmint if it's convenient and appropriate to do so.

I own guns, and shoot them alot, card carrying member of the NRA, and a local range master...I don't hunt...simply put, there has to be something pschologicaly off about killing a defenseless animal for no other reason then to watch it die..kiilling somethng for fun...and after looking at all the angles, I don't even find it sporting, or even a challenge...I don't even consider it a valid skill set considering your typical hunter's ability...

All the BS reasons for culling the heard, keeping the population down for the good of the species and all that is just justifications to assauge those that feel guilty or need an image of respectibility for doing something that is fundamentaly wrong.

It doesn't mean I want to inhibit others from doing so...as every time I eat a hamburger, or any meat for that matter, I am supporting the killing of animals...maybe it's more about the suffering of animals that I am more concerned with...a little less suffering would be nice...

If a bear was running me down, and intruder in the home, ect ect...I have no problem pulling the trigger...

If I owned a farm, and the sage rats were taking down my crops, fine...after blowing away a hundred of them, and they still don't want to leave...then it's game on...

That's a choice, the bear, the sage rats, intruders to mess with me...and the law of jungle is pretty clear on the justifications and morality when it comes to survival..

God forbid anyone here abides by this philosophy strictly has to use their guns in self-defense against a 2-legged animal. I was told they do taste like chicken, any of you guys have any personal knowledge about this?? :s0131::s0131:

To SSG, I actually agree with you although I know many others will disagree. I cannot find any pleasure in watching an animal die. However, I have no problem shooting an animal I will eat or something that threatens my existence on this Earth.

I don't hunt. If I see a Cougar or Coyote on our property its a goner! We had to put one of our 19 year old sheep down last weekend, I shot it, and didn't eat it, but something did! I think if you shoot a deer or elk or something for no reason other than it being there, you shouldn't have a gun. If you are going to eat it or donate the meat, go for it. If I'm threatened by anything its getting shot too, bear, cats, boars, raccoon, skunk, anything.

I don't hunt. If I see a Cougar or Coyote on our property its a goner! We had to put one of our 19 year old sheep down last weekend, I shot it, and didn't eat it, but something did! I think if you shoot a deer or elk or something for no reason other than it being there, you shouldn't have a gun. If you are going to eat it or donate the meat, go for it. If I'm threatened by anything its getting shot too, bear, cats, boars, raccoon, skunk, anything. Also, I think its messed up to shot random birds, squirrles, or any other little animal, unless they are causing you problems, like eating your plants or tearing up your yard.

I own guns, and shoot them alot, card carrying member of the NRA, and a local range master...I don't hunt...simply put, there has to be something pschologicaly off about killing a defenseless animal for no other reason then to watch it die..kiilling somethng for fun...and after looking at all the angles, I don't even find it sporting, or even a challenge...I don't even consider it a valid skill set considering your typical hunter's ability...

All the BS reasons for culling the heard, keeping the population down for the good of the species and all that is just justifications to assauge those that feel guilty or need an image of respectibility for doing something that is fundamentaly wrong.

It doesn't mean I want to inhibit others from doing so...as every time I eat a hamburger, or any meat for that matter, I am supporting the killing of animals...maybe it's more about the suffering of animals that I am more concerned with...a little less suffering would be nice...

If a bear was running me down, and intruder in the home, ect ect...I have no problem pulling the trigger...

If I owned a farm, and the sage rats were taking down my crops, fine...after blowing away a hundred of them, and they still don't want to leave...then it's game on...

That's a choice, the bear, the sage rats, intruders to mess with me...and the law of jungle is pretty clear on the justifications and morality when it comes to survival..

i'm not one who will claim to be thinning the population or protecting farms or ranches... i hunt purely for the thrill of the hunt. i'll eat any game i take- but if there's no game to be found, there's always rodents and coyotes. and those i hunt for no other reason than because it's a thrill... why does that make me a sociopath? watching it die doesn't have anything to do with it. it's about using a skillset to achieve a goal- and the goal is dropping the animal, not watching it die. where do you even get that?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top