JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Little humor in bad times I was on the thread mom's demand action showing shirts I own and where but just so happens I have this one on today IMAG1170.jpg

You have the same chair 's as me except the cigarettes lol
He he. Lol. Only person in my family who has lived in America and smoked was my dad who smoked cigs for 3 years in his 20s and then quit, my grandad who smoked a pipe and developed a way to "grow" your own arteries, and my great grandpa who was a logger in Missouri. I also have an uncle who smokes cigars and an uncle who dips but for 3 generations on one side and 2 on the other it isn't a bad record. Glad I don't smoke though!

He he. Lol. Only person in my family who has lived in America and smoked was my dad who smoked cigs for 3 years in his 20s and then quit, my grandad who smoked a pipe and developed a way to "grow" your own arteries, and my great grandpa who was a logger in Missouri. I also have an uncle who smokes cigars and an uncle who dips but for 3 generations on one side and 2 on the other it isn't a bad record. Glad I don't smoke though!
Good for you one of the most stupid things I ever did was start smoking and it has been a on and off thing for years

I would like to address the fishermen (and women) on the site with the story of an unsung hero you probably won't hear about anywhere else. His name is Mark Traynor and he is the manager of the Cascade Fish Hatchery on Eagle Creek, a mile or less from where the fire started. Jeannie and I were in the area Saturday evening when we realized the fire was near the hatchery. On our way home we stopped to see if Mark needed a hand evacuating. We found him with his most valuable personal belongings packed and ready to go, but him actively running the hatchery. Earlier in the day he had sent the rest of his crew out of harms way so he was by himself. We encouraged, nay nagged, him to pack the rest of his stuff and leave but he was more interested in making sure the hatchery was okay. We literally watched the fire crest the ridge and begin moving down the hill towards the hatchery.
Mark had made provisions for the fire crews to use water from one of the fish ponds for fire-fighting if necessary. In doing so he had to make a few changes to keep everything else working. After the Level 3 evacuation notice came no one was allowed back in to help him and he hasn't left yet, except to move his boat across the freeway to a, hopefully, safer location. We have talked to him each night and he continues to maintain the hatchery. He is now four days without sleep and still working.
For now the millions of fish in his care are okay. While they are still not out of the woods due to possible pollution of the hatchery water supply and other issues, they are currently viable due to one man. Those are the fish you will be trying to catch in about four years.
The fish release you heard about on the news was at the Bonneville Hatchery, ironically the place Mark took his boat for safe-keeping.
The next time you are headed east on I84, stop off at exit 41 and say "Thanks".
Also a huge Thank You to the fire crews who kept the hatchery from burning while Mark kept it running.

It is unfortunate that in any catastrophe the people who do these invisible acts don't get the recognition they deserve, in this case your friend Mark and all of the firefighters on this fire. The thing that has always made me upset is the higher ups almost always take the credit. The grunts on the ground do the most and are credited the least. I say thank you to all the people on the ground involved in this fire, no matter what you are doing.

It was pretty easy for me. My dad would have my head if I smoked, even once. The way my dad beat it was cold turkey and whenever he wanted a smoke instead of going outside and smoking he would go on a short run.

I have a fitting punishment for the offending youth, AND his friends.

A ten year sentence should be levied. During summer break the youth will be required to work in the forest with various volunteer groups. Groups that build/maintain trails, or repair storm/flood damage/general maintenance in places such as camp grounds, trail heads, etc. The youth will work AT LEAST 20 hours a week all through the summer school break. After graduation from high school the youth will be required to work 500 hours per year as a volunteer on public lands projects for the remainder of the 10 year sentence.

The volunteer group thing would help to keep the people from claiming they need to pay the idiot. But I figure you'll have people coming out of the woodwork claiming that sort of punishment would be "Cruel".
they might even gain skills and job opportunies.:)

Too much effort is spent blaming this youth, and not addressing the lack of forest management. I'm not defending the kid, but he's no more to blame than any smoker that flicked an ash or butt out the window, or any wood cutter that's sparked a fire, or camper that had a campfire light up the woods, or 4-wheeler that drove thru dry grass. I'll bet careless adults start far more fires than kids with fireworks.

People will do dumb things and that will never stop. Lightning will never stop. All the more reasons to MANAGE THE FORESTS!. Quit using one kid as an excuse to shift the blame.

Too much effort is spent blaming this youth, and not addressing the lack of forest management. I'm not defending the kid, but he's no more to blame than any smoker that flicked an ash or butt out the window, or any wood cutter that's sparked a fire, or camper that had a campfire light up the woods, or 4-wheeler that drove thru dry grass. I'll bet careless adults start far more fires than kids with fireworks.

People will do dumb things and that will never stop. Lightning will never stop. All the more reasons to MANAGE THE FORESTS!. Quit using one kid as an excuse to shift the blame.

This is what I keep hearing. And I don't doubt that forest management is a huge issue in a lot of the fires we have. The question I have is how do you "manage" the forested area where this fire is burning? Thinning brush and undergrowth in terrain like this would be impossible. Nobody wants them just mowing every thing down and burning the slash either....Which it seems some folks would be fine with across the whole state.

And I will blame the kid, and do believe he's worse than the camper, logger, 4-wheeler. etc that had accidents doing things that were more normal for the areas they would have been in. He went in to a beautiful, mostly preserved and regulated area and did something that was unusual to be doing in such a place. Tossing fireworks in a pristine forested gorge? Kid's got behavior issues I bet. Greatly different than, say, throwing a fire crack/smoke bomb, whatever, in his back yard and starting a fire.

Apparently there was some discussion about there not being sufficient "infra-structure" to get sufficient water to supply the big tankers. I don't get that... maybe there aren't big water mains going into the Redmond tanker field but this is not rocket science. Hell, back in the days of steam locomotives, a good sized engine tender could take on 30,000 gallons. How did they keep the trains running 70 years ago ? They built water tanks.

As for the 747 super tankers, maybe they're too for big to land at Redmond. They sure could use the Portland ANG base...but that would involve the State thinking again.

Ehhh....Let it burn, they can use the acreage to put in more free section 8 housing.

Evergreen International airlines had no problems landing at McMinnville airport with 747's. the ones outside the museum flew in.

The lifetime of financial debt that might hang over the head of this thoughtless turd (and his buddies - starting with the licensed driver who took a 15 year old up there and failed to talk him out of it) will quickly become something to which they all grow numb. "Yeah, I still owe Oregon $__ million dollars... So what's new?"

Perhaps immediate canings (ala Singapore) with randomly recurring refreshers might help them remember.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top