JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rustolium makes some 2000 degee oil and gas resistant paint .Its tough if its baked or left to cure for a long time .I painted a project with it and left it alone for months. solvent didnt appear to effect it after curing a year.

It's mostly that I got a Sig brace and magpul for-end that are FDE and I want to paint them black.

I haven't found a paint from a can yet that holds up to being handled regularly, but honestly I haven't been looking since I like the worn-down paint look.

It's probably going to be a lot less of a headache to just buy a new brace and fore-end in the color you want than trying to permanently pain the ones you have.

Another option depending on what material the brace is made out of is to try dyeing the plastic, which may work since you're going darker and would probably hold up a whole lot better than paint in the long term.

will not hold up as well as paint on a car!! automotive paint is different. You need to clean off any oils. Then scuff sand the area being painted. With 150 or 220. Use a dark primer and spray in thin coats and build up. Let dry ample time between coats.
Right. Car finishes r completely different. Regular household solvents -as well as abrasion from handling etc- can remove spray paint even after it has cured for a long time. Car finishes will not be touched by such solvents. You can get small quantities of car paint if u want to go that route.

My AR pistol came to me with a Krylon camo job. Except for the flexible parts of the brace the paint has held up fairly well. It's several years old and isn't treated all that nicely. The amount of wear isn't very noticeable and in fact, just blends in.
The only picture is from when I first got it, so no point in showing how it looked then. :D

For plastic parts that you just want to make black you could always Dye it.

I have a Vltor Emod stock in foliage green that's about to take a Dye bath.
If that turns out funky then it's getting squirted with Krylon Fusion, as that's made for plastic without scuffing it first.
FDE will probably take Dye better than foliage green.

One solution may be to post your items for trade.
FDE for black. You might just buy a black handguard, which wont cost much more than high-heat spray paint. That way you'd just be swapping the brace.

That's what I was originally going to do but figured it would be slim pickings. My classifieds are priced 30-40% below online or retail cost for brand new items and are still sitting....

For plastic parts that you just want to make black you could always Dye it.

I have a Vltor Emod stock in foliage green that's about to take a Dye bath.
If that turns out funky then it's getting squirted with Krylon Fusion, as that's made for plastic without scuffing it first.
FDE will probably take Dye better than foliage green.

Are you using Rit or Dharma dye? I bought 1 lb of Dharma dye for nylon to dye magazine pouches (milsurp) since Rit doesn't make straight black for nylon.

Haven't bought any dye yet,
Looks like I was about to find out about Rit though.

Looks like I'll be getting the Dharma dye now and trying that. ;)

For some bizarre reason I can't explain, my best results from spray paint (as far as hardness and durability are concerned) are to paint warm parts on a really hot day, let them dry in the sun until not real tacky anymore, but not cured, then hit them with cold water from a sprayer nozzle on a garden hose.

Your results may vary, but I have repeated it many times with decent success.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top