JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is a reason I have stuck w/ just .999/.9999 silver coins. I am a coin dummy myself. "Collector coins" or whatever they are called - too much knowledge required.

For instance, I found a 1974 Liberty Dollar Coin, Eisenhower Front, Eagle back in a drawer today. Looked on FleaBay to get an idea of its worth. Priced from $4 to $2300 - all look the same to me.
That is exactly why when I decided to buy some metal I just looked at metal. When you get into "collectable" there is just too damn much volatility. With the stuff I buy its just metal. Price is whatever the melt price is that day. Not what some collector might pay. Seemed much easier to me.

Absolutely!! Plus if crap is BAD as in near SHTF levels there aren't going to be experts available to help you. "Oh that coin has an error on it and worth $10k" Umm, no.

Trash silver pre-64 or .999/.9999 generic or minted. Everyone knows what they are worth, now and even then.

...Trash silver pre-64 or .999/.9999 generic or minted. Everyone knows what they are worth, now and even then.
Or, you could explain it easily enough to folks unfamiliar & they could understand.

Remember when a gallon of gasoline cost a quarter?

Well, it goes for today too!

Least ways if in pre-1964 silver quarters @ 90% silver content. 1 such "junk" silver quarter (minimally worn, mind) has approximately $4.20 silver content, at today's price per troy ounce ($23.28).

Costco regular was $3.799/gal on monday.

Any guesses about how this will play out for Credit Unions?
The banks were downgraded because their mortgage businesses have imploded. You have to make mortgages to package them and sell them . You cant make mortgages if no one is buying houses and the mortgage market has be slammed with 7%+ rates

The banks were downgraded because their mortgage businesses have imploded. You have to make mortgages to package them and sell them . You cant make mortgages if no one is buying houses and the mortgage market has be slammed with 7%+ rates
Yep once again all is playing out just like before. As those who made the last mess pretend nothing is wrong until another crash. Then the same people will run to every camera they can find to tell everyone they are here to fix this. :s0092:

Yep once again all is playing out just like before. As those who made the last mess pretend nothing is wrong until another crash. Then the same people will run to every camera they can find to tell everyone they are here to fix this. :s0092:
Well, we'll see how long it takes to turn this time. I think it will be longer than seems reasonable.

Also, whatever happened to conservation? There was the 55 mph national speed limit toward that end. CAFE standards were imposed on new vehicle manufacture. Since that time, people have given up small cars for larger pickups. In droves. I can only assume light trucks have lower CAFE standards than small sedans. I suppose conservation doesn't help oil company profits, and building small sedans is less profitable for the auto companies than luxurious light trucks. Both of which have gangs of lobbyists.
Because it turned out that there was much more oil around than people thought at the time. New reserves were discovered and technology advances allowed utilization of previously known but unrecoverable sources (shale deposits, etc.). The dire predictions heard over and over about, "We'll run out of oil by (date such and such)" proved false. Adjusted for inflation, the price of gas has only increased about 10% since 1974, when the nationwide 55 mph speed limit was imposed. Under President Trump, the inflation adjusted price of gas was actually 22% lower than in 1974. A gallon of gas is still cheaper than a gallon of Coca Cola. Which is the greater value?

It's still a finite resource.
Eh not really. I mean it is but as the price increases the feasibility of different means of extraction goes up. Wer'e fracking like crazy in this country and are producing more oil than we ever have been despite what right leaning media might be telling you. Thats just the US. Oil rich areas are still pumping oil the old fashioned way and when that runs out they'll start fracking and oil shale and synthetics will get financially more do-able too. As demand goes down with improved ICE efficiency and greater electrification of cars you'll see the end of oil as we know it getting pushed farther and farther back. Yeah , eventually it will become so expensive to burn it will get shifted more towards petrochemical use . What are we looking at ? 300-500 years maybe? I think we'll have viable alternatives to 90% of oil needs withing a few hundred if that.

I've been wondering at US Government U-turns in oil policy. During the Nixon administration circa 1973 and later during the Carter administration circa 1979, exporting American oil would've been heresy. They were beating the drum for energy independence. Also, whatever happened to conservation? There was the 55 mph national speed limit toward that end. CAFE standards were imposed on new vehicle manufacture. Since that time, people have given up small cars for larger pickups. In droves. I can only assume light trucks have lower CAFE standards than small sedans. I suppose conservation doesn't help oil company profits, and building small sedans is less profitable for the auto companies than luxurious light trucks. Both of which have gangs of lobbyists.
As I recall, OPEC had cut way back on oil production to raise the price of oil. It skyrocketed. There were gas shortages all over America. Many people had to wait an hour or more in gas lines only to be able to partially fill their tanks, as most gas stations put quotas on what they would sell to individual customers before they ran out and closed. About the same time Nixon suddenly ended the exchangability of dollars and gold, which Americans had been forbidden to do for years. He actually had no choice. We were going to run out of gold if we continued letting everyone else exchange dollars for gold. So suddenly in response to these things we had inflation of dollars in double digits. There were also food shortages.

The federal law imposing a 55 mph speed limit nation wide was for the purpose of discouraging driving and cutting American need for imported OPEC oil and driving the price down. Much of the Midwest and West depended upon driving and had long stretches of HWs that were straight, smooth, and beautiful and very safe to drive on at 70mph. In the East most people commuted shorter distances and many in cities didn't own cars but used trains and buses and subways. Many people and whole states in the West refused to cooperate with the 55mph speed limits. What happen was insurance companies, which now had to pay out fewer claims in the 55mph states, forced all states to adopt the 55mph laws or lose access to insurance. Even so, some states cooperated only as little as it took to get the insurance companies off their backs. I got a ticket in Montana for accidentally driving 70 in a 55 zone. The road was straight and flawless and empty, and had been designed for 70. Cop pulled me over. Apologized for it and explained that the insurance companies had given the state no choice. However, the ticket would not be for speeding, because no-one in the state thought going 70 on that HWY was speeding, including the Montana legislature. The ticket would be for "improper use of a vehicle," and would be for their minimum of $10 only.

As long as there was a fed 55 speed limit and the price of gas was very high, Americans were willing to buy smaller cars for a while. But the prices of gas went down. And people found that if you had an accident in that little light weight car or truck you were likely to get hurt worse than if you were driving something bigger and heavier. Lots if people did not feel safe in light cars or trucks, whatever the speed. I stuck with trucks or vans for those reasons and because I liked and felt safer being able to see over most of the traffic.

We are approximately self sufficient in oil now. We import a little heavy crude to mix with our light sweet shale oil so the shale oil can be refined in plants designed for heavier crude than our shale oil. And we export a little shale oil.

We turned out to have much more oil than we thought. Then when tech was developed to drill for shale oil that was a game changer. We have many decades worth of shale oil reserves. Way more than any drillers admit to because if they say they have above a certain amount they are regulated differently. And even the hugely underreported amounts suggest we have at least 50 years worth.

Yeah, but it's the current price of fuel which influences people's choice of vehicles.
It sure as hell does. The price of gas and economy in general tend to play into this BIG time. Wife and I had both wanted a Wrangler for a LONG time. We kept going back and forth as I was refusing to pay half what a new one ran for one that was 10 or 15 years old. Every time she would find one in the 10Kish price range they were 10 or 15 years old and a LOT of miles on them. I kept saying if I was going to pay that much I would just buy a new one and soon we would buy nothing. When the price of gas went from $1.50 to almost $6 here all of a sudden there was a glut of used ones at dealers. When we went shopping again many lots had as many as 10 of them to look at. Many of them with only 20 or 30 K on the clock. So did not take long to pick out one that was a 1 owner, with under 40K and about 1/2 what new was running and we pulled the trigger. It suddenly was a buyers market for these which was great for us.

As I recall, OPEC had cut way back on oil production to raise the price of oil. It skyrocketed. There were gas shortages all over America. Many people had to wait an hour or more in gas lines only to be able to partially fill their tanks, as most gas stations put quotas on what they would sell to individual customers before they ran out and closed. About the same time Nixon suddenly ended the exchangability of dollars and gold, which Americans had been forbidden to do for years. He actually had no choice. We were going to run out of gold if we continued letting everyone else exchange dollars for gold. So suddenly in response to these things we had inflation of dollars in double digits. There were also food shortages.

The federal law imposing a 55 mph speed limit nation wide was for the purpose of discouraging driving and cutting American need for imported OPEC oil and driving the price down. Much of the Midwest and West depended upon driving and had long stretches of HWs that were straight, smooth, and beautiful and very safe to drive on at 70mph. In the East most people commuted shorter distances and many in cities didn't own cars but used trains and buses and subways. Many people and whole states in the West refused to cooperate with the 55mph speed limits. What happen was insurance companies, which now had to pay out fewer claims in the 55mph states, forced all states to adopt the 55mph laws or lose access to insurance. Even so, some states cooperated only as little as it took to get the insurance companies off their backs. I got a ticket in Montana for accidentally driving 70 in a 55 zone. The road was straight and flawless and empty, and had been designed for 70. Cop pulled me over. Apologized for it and explained that the insurance companies had given the state no choice. However, the ticket would not be for speeding, because no-one in the state thought going 70 on that HWY was speeding, including the Montana legislature. The ticket would be for "improper use of a vehicle," and would be for their minimum of $10 only.

As long as there was a fed 55 speed limit and the price of gas was very high, Americans were willing to buy smaller cars for a while. But the prices of gas went down. And people found that if you had an accident in that little light weight car or truck you were likely to get hurt worse than if you were driving something bigger and heavier. Lots if people did not feel safe in light cars or trucks, whatever the speed. I stuck with trucks or vans for those reasons and because I liked and felt safer being able to see over most of the traffic.

We are approximately self sufficient in oil now. We import a little heavy crude to mix with our light sweet shale oil so the shale oil can be refined in plants designed for heavier crude than our shale oil. And we export a little shale oil.

We turned out to have much more oil than we thought. Then when tech was developed to drill for shale oil that was a game changer. We have many decades worth of shale oil reserves. Way more than any drillers admit to because if they say they have above a certain amount they are regulated differently. And even the hugely underreported amounts suggest we have at least 50 years worth.
The 73 Arab oil embargo was response to the Yom Kippur war. It wasn't to raise prices although that was the effect. Nixon ditching the Gold Standard happened in 1971 although it had largely ended in the US in 1933.

Last Edited:
300-500 years maybe?
In that case, I shouldn't worry about it.

The political price of oil really has nothing to do with resource availability. As we are seeing in Wash. state with Gov. Inslee's pet projects.

Conservation is still a mantra for me. I drive older vehicles and take care of them to ensure longevity. However, buying a new vehicle of any sort isn't a conservation of my resources, considering the unit cost of the device.

Depends upon what you will use the PMs to do. Investment? Gold can be a good vehicle for that. But gold to use as a vehicle during SHTF would be cumbersome unless you want to buy a house or a car. Silver could be good as an investment too. But in SHTF the use of full silver content coins might go alot farther. A $5k bag of silver dimes would make an easy way to trade/barter for necessities. .22 ammo and 9mm ammo would serve much the same purpose.
Read a book called "One Second After" to get the idea. It is a novel, but a bit haunting at that.

If silver wasn't controlled via paper cert false promises, it would be at $50/ounce already. A lot of people that buy silver don't understand the price is greatly manipulated by the banksters; the Morgans, etc. Paper fake promises of silver far exceed the available supply.

Had heard the old 'wait until people demand their silver in hand!!!' Well, sadly, people demand nothing these days.

Last Edited:
If silver wasn't controlled via paper cert false promises, it would be at $50/ounce already. A lot of people that buy silver don't understand the price is greatly manipulated by the banksters; the Morgans, etc. Paper fake promises of silver far exceed the available supply.

Had heard the old 'wait until people demand their silver in hand!!!' Well, sadly, people demand nothing these days.

A few years or so back there was a sudden "rush" on it and price almost doubled for a while. Can't remember what it was set that off. If something does set off another it will be fun to watch. Especially for those of us who have a good amount of it. If there ever is another big run on it would be real tempting to dump what I have back in :D

I don't know about that. Silver isn't gold. It's not tied to gold anymore. It's not really a currency metal anymore. It's kind of an industrial metal at this point it doesn't have the gleam that gold has.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top