JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Are we talking about defective 1911s slam firing or are we talking specifically about Tisas 1911s slamfiring?
Cause I havent read a bad review on Tisas until this thread and the OP is awfully silent about it.

Are we talking about defective 1911s slam firing or are we talking specifically about Tisas 1911s slamfiring?
Cause I havent read a bad review on Tisas until this thread and the OP is awfully silent about it.
We WERE talking about a specific Tisas 1911 having a supposedly sloppy slide/frame fit and bad customer service. NOW we're just making up theoretical problems we heard about on the Internet

Still not buying a Tisas.
1705030154539.png

I was going to buy a new Ed Brown.
But then I read the reviews that they come from the factory so tight, that you need to fire 500 to 1000 rounds just to "break them in".

So instead, for the same money, I bought 4 Tisas and 2000 rounds.

The Tisas come ready to shoot! No break in required.
Win-Win!!

Not being a dick, but a Tisas rattling in the slide to frame fit is a feature, not a bug. You may not like that, and you may not have liked the response you got from them when you complained, but does the gun actually run?

Anyone can get a lemon, and maybe you did, but there are several elite tier 1911 gunsmiths, including one who many consider the GOAT, who have put out through reviews on them and said some very impressive things about them. Again, not that means yours is perfect, but maybe it's worth giving it a couple boxes and see how you feel before you tell all of creation not to buy their guns?

I was going to buy a new Ed Brown.
But then I read the reviews that they come from the factory so tight, that you need to fire 500 to 1000 rounds just to "break them in".
OP ghosted us so that means he either hasn't shot it or it runs fine. All he has to say is he jumped the gun and learned something here. Or maybe he got a lemon but he woulda proved that by now, he has a video of the alleged slop he could share if its truly that bad.
Not being a dick, but a Tisas rattling in the slide to frame fit is a feature, not a bug. You may not like that, and you may not have liked the response you got from them when you complained, but does the gun actually run?
A lot of people don't know 1911s are supposed to have some play and thats not what makes them accurate anyways. The boutique/custom 1911 industry created this problem by giving in to the demand on tightest fitting 1911s... but people spending upwards of 4 grand on one gun don't want slop so they make them super tight and put a "break in" disclaimer. People fall for it, and spend a lot of money doing so.

OP ghosted us so that means he either hasn't shot it or it runs fine. All he has to say is he jumped the gun and learned something here. Or maybe he got a lemon but he woulda proved that by now, he has a video of the alleged slop he could share if its truly that bad.

A lot of people don't know 1911s are supposed to have some play and thats not what makes them accurate anyways. The boutique/custom 1911 industry created this problem by giving in to the demand on tightest fitting 1911s... but people spending upwards of 4 grand on one gun don't want slop so they make them super tight and put a "break in" disclaimer. People fall for it, and spend a lot of money doing so.
Ed Brown is a bit notorious for the tight fit. Wilson Combat did my Colt and it's perfect. My CQB Contact is also perfect.

Ed Brown is a bit notorious for the tight fit. Wilson Combat did my Colt and it's perfect. My CQB Contact is also perfect.
What is the fit like (a little play or a lot)? and did your WC's come with a suggested break in period?

I think break in periods are lame, if I pay top dollar I expect it to run out of the box with any factory ammo. My most expensive 1911 is a Dan Wesson, unfired it had literally zero play. They have a break in of I think 300rds and I did have a few jams but it does run like clockwork now, the slide has some very light play in it after break in (so again not certain why bother with this tight fit and waste of ammo break in period).

I have the Tisas Beretta 92 clone in FDE. I love that gun. fit and finish is proper, and the way the slide rides the frame is smooth as glass. Beautiful gun, and I regret nothing.

IMG_1199.jpg IMG_1203.jpg

Another 50 rounds of RN 200 grn blue bullets down the tube on my Service Special today. I won't buy a bakers dozen of them, but for $320 it scratches the itch.

What is the fit like (a little play or a lot)? and did your WC's come with a suggested break in period?

I think break in periods are lame, if I pay top dollar I expect it to run out of the box with any factory ammo. My most expensive 1911 is a Dan Wesson, unfired it had literally zero play. They have a break in of I think 300rds and I did have a few jams but it does run like clockwork now, the slide has some very light play in it after break in (so again not certain why bother with this tight fit and waste of ammo break in period).
My DW ECO fired 500 flawless rounds out of the box. Neither of my WCs had a recommended break in.

NOW we're just making up theoretical problems we heard about on the Internet
Nope. Mess around with a Tisas (at your own risk and anyone standing nearby) for awhile and you'll discover a few things. A hole in something is one of them.

When it does jam it jams worse than other handgun designs. It mangles cases. It was built for the fmj, has a two-piece feed ramp, and most modern .45acp has a blunt thin jacket. You could say the ammo is the problem.

Last Edited:

I bought my Dan Wesson used, so I can't say anything about the fit when new. The only thing I might complain about is the grip safety seems to have a bunch of slop side to side, but it has always worked like a charm. The only time there was a problem, it was the mag.

What I wonder about though, didn't the Colt have a steel firing pin from 1911 up til recent times? What would make the Tisas different in this regard?

Nope. Mess around with a Tisas (at your own risk and anyone standing nearby) for awhile and you'll discover a few things. A hole in something is one of them.

When it does jam it jams worse than other handgun designs. It mangles cases. It was built for the fmj, has a two-piece feed ramp, and most modern .45acp has a blunt thin jacket. You could say the ammo is the problem.
Sigh. Ok.

:s0097:

I absolutely love my Tisas 1911 (.45)! Fantastically accurate and I've never had a single misfeed after hundreds of rounds through it.

And the PX-9 I bought for $280 runs flawlessly and has an incredible trigger.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top