JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A few things I'm unclear about:
1. THAT "girl" is only 17???
2. If the driver was uninjured after the initial confrontation, did he dramatically lower his guard to allow her to shoot him at point blank, multiple times?
3. She called the police? I have to assume for an ambulance.
4. I still can't believe she's 17. She's going to look like 2015 Della Reese in 3 years

But yeah, delivering to an abandon house, just crazy.
Don't want to assume your context, but my initial response is that I'm sure he didn't know it was abandoned when the order came in and, even when he got there, I've seen many an occupied home that looks abandoned. Poor guy was just trying to do his job well and service an apparent less than wealthy home

It's called autopilot, people will do that and not think a thing about it. Just go where the phone tells you to , and then when you roll up even though it looks sketchy it doesn't matter cause well the phone said this is it.

This story is a great illustration of how folks have lost their ability to sense something ain't right , lack of common sense and do not understand the fundamentals of PERSEC ...

But yeah, delivering to an abandon house, just crazy.
Don't want to assume your context, but my initial response is that I'm sure he didn't know it was abandoned when the order came in and, even when he got there, I've seen many an occupied home that looks abandoned. Poor guy was just trying to do his job well and service an apparent less than wealthy home

If things look sketchy they probably are. More than once I have embarked on a drive to meet someone for a craigslist item they were selling. When I rolled up if things did not look right / feel right I never even stopped the car.

If things look sketchy they probably are. More than once I have embarked on a drive to meet someone for a craigslist item they were selling. When I rolled up if things did not look right / feel right I never even stopped the car.

Yeah, doesn't say time of day or anything, he was probably on auto-pilot, making that money.

The hardest part to understand is what made him get his eyes off of the girl, or if the girl was even there in the first portion of the delivery drivers encounter, unless she was in hiding and came up and run up on him.

Craigslist meetup isn't the same as having to deliver paid-for goods to a customer just because you don't like the look of their house. I can assure you w/o experience needed that gig drivers have countless interactions with "sketchy" houses. "Sorry Uber passenger. I don't like the look of your house so you can walk the last mile", "Sorry pizza customer. Your house looks abandoned so you don't get dinner". We could speculate the ramifications of him refusing to do his job. Fired? His corporate employer lit up on social media for being racist, elitist? We have the luxury of hindsight to say "My life is more important than my job". I'm sure he would've too had he known that was the choice about to be thrust upon him.

Last Edited:
Craigslist meetup isn't the same as having to deliver paid-for goods to a customer just because you don't like the look of their house. I can assure you w/o experienced needed that gig drivers have countless interactions with "sketchy" houses. "Sorry Uber passenger. I don't like the look of your house so you can walk the last mile", "Sorry pizza customer. Your house looks abandoned so you don't get dinner". We could speculate the ramifications of him refusing to do his job. Fired? His corporate employer lit up on social media for being racist, elitist? We have the luxury of hindsight to say "My life is more important than my job". I'm sure he would've too had he known that was the choice about to be thrust upon him.

Would you pull up and knock on the door of a clapped out house that looks the part of a scene from Breaking Bad ?

Say what you will pizza jobs are a dime a dozen,
98% of the time I am sure this goes down without incident , but then there's the 2% where some chick phones it in so you can get whacked for a 2l of Pepsi, a $15 pizza and $40 in cash.

and yes if I got the abandoned flop house or crack pad vibe I would not take the chance .

The pizza joint ain't looking out for you , you gotta do it yourself.

Last Edited:
Would you pull up and knock on the door of a clapped out house that looks the part of a scene from Breaking Bad ?

Say what you will pizza jobs are a dime a dozen,
98% of the time I am sure this goes down without incident , but then there's the 2% where some chick phones it in so you can get whacked for a 2l of Pepsi, a $15 pizza and $40 in cash.

and yes if I got the abandoned flop house or crack pad vibe I would not take the chance .

The pizza joint ain't looking for you , you gotta do it yourself.
It's clear we're going to keep different views on this, which is okay. YOU would not take the chance on what appears to be a crack house. I try not to take my reality and interject it into someone else's life situation or experiences. I also haven't worked 17 years at a grocery store meat counter, nor have I had a newborn at 37 that I now need a 2nd job to support, nor would I carry a .38 revolver as a primary defense. Do all of those scenarios apply to your life? Assuming not, then it's hard for either of us to relate to Mr Ungersma's decision to not quit his job and hope that this was one of those 98% scenarios. Pizza jobs are a dime a dozen, true. So does that mean only Dominoes delivers to sketch neighborhoods? Or does he quit his job every time he has one of those 98% scenarios until he's applied to every pizza, Amazon, Uber gig in bustling Lafayette, Indiana?

I'm not sure if this is how it went, but many food delivery services are now doing contactless drop off. I actually love it this way. Food is left on your doorstep - the driver is in and out in seconds.

Not only that, but as a driver, you know that you should not be interacting with anyone - so if you do see someone, be on guard.

I'm not sure if this is how it went, but many food delivery services are now doing contactless drop off. I actually love it this way. Food is left on your doorstep - the driver is in and out in seconds.

Not only that, but as a driver, you know that you should not be interacting with anyone - so if you do see someone, be on guard.

Agreed ... If they want to leave a tip they can do it at check out.

Agreed ... If they want to leave a tip they can do it at check out.
Uber Eats allows you to set a tip at time of order and then adjust it up or down after the order is completed. I do think that Uber takes too much from small biz restaurants and one should order direct if possible...but their system gets a ton of use and has basically developed the best version of a food delivery service, IMO.

The 2nd biggest tragedy of this (other than the first of the driver being murdered) is the 17 YO dropping the gun when confronted by LEO. However if she hadn't the LEO would have no doubt 'responded' in the proper manner and we would have had another riot with the accusations of 'murder' being screamed out by the masses.

I somewhat agree , but Uber is a service for both the business and the customer. Here in Salem there are several small restaurants I like which don't deliver even now with the covid and if I had to guess its an issue of cost. Uber makes it possible for these businesses to continue doing business in this changing environment .

That is not a bad thing at all in my opinion , there are also places here locally that have their own delivery service and staff , and I use them when possible.

Uber Eats allows you to set a tip at time of order and then adjust it up or down after the order is completed. I do think that Uber takes too much from small biz restaurants and one should order direct if possible...but their system gets a ton of use and has basically developed the best version of a food delivery service, IMO.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR