JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just based on listening to a police scanner the past few years, domestic violence calls seem to have skyrocketed the past month or so. Used to notice one a night on the weekends. Now it is 3-4 a night, nearly every night.

Did a web search and multiple articles indicate that domestic abuse is way up across the country. Some say upwards of a 70% surge in cases.

Just heard a call to an apartment building in which a male was seen dragging a female out of the apartment and throwing her down some stairs, and a couple of other males appeared and are now beating the bubblegum out of the first male. Four different units are on the way.

Might be a good time to brush up on the laws regarding use of deadly force and consider how you would want to react if thrust into such a situation.

For those in Washington, seems coming to the aid of someone being beaten is justifiable...

RCW 9A.16.050
Homicide—By other person—When justifiable.

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:
(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his or her presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or
(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his or her presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he or she is.
[ 2011 c 336 § 354; 1975 1st ex.s. c 260 § 9A.16.050.]

Now, domestic violence calls are the most dangerous for cops, so I would imagine getting involved in such a situation for a good Samaritan must especially be properly weighed and considered.

I was driving on the highway out of Yakima some years ago with my wife and two young children when I saw a Toyota pickup pulled over on the side of the road and a large Hispanic male slapping around a female. I pulled over about 100 yards away and called 911. I had my pistol ready, but didn't get out of the vehicle and didn't get any closer, not with my loved ones in the vehicle.

The man noticed us pulled over and watching him and stopped hitting the woman and threw her into the cab of the pickup and took off. We followed a couple of miles until a state trooper arrived and initiated a stop, then we went on our merry way. Never heard any follow up.

I think we all agree that the smart thing to do in most situations is to MYOB and call 911. But if the aggressor has a deadly weapon, or is inflicting serious injury, I believe most people would want to step in and stop the attack and prevent a possible murder. But if you are carrying and rush in to try and manhandle someone to get them to stop the attack, and then you end up in a physical altercation, it could go South very quickly. Not to mention the person who was the victim, then becomes the aggressor when they see you hurting their domestic partner. Just an ugly situation to thrust yourself into, armed or not.

Domestic violence is skyrocketing; what's your plan?

Can't live with 'em... Can't shoot 'em... o_O

Last Edited:
My plan is unless I know the people super well, call 911. The way things work now I would be VERY hesitant to step into something like this. If you do, and end up having to shoot the perp, there is a damn good chance the woman he was beating will swear you murdered her man for no reason. There is a good reason why Cops hate these kind of calls.

When I was about 20 I was involved in a domestic violence situation. Dude was beating on his chick on the side of the road. Similar to @HaveGun story. I ended up getting my face beat in and almost stabbed with a syringe by some tweaker. Luckly a car full of my homies were driving by as we were brawling and jumped out. One of my buddies lifted his shirt up to the dude and said "YOU BETTER GET OFF MY HOMEBOY!" The guy saw what he had tucked in his waistband and took off like a raped ape. I ended up with a broken nose and a couple black eyes. True story
I'll NEVER get involved in a situation like that again. PERIOD! Unless its calling the cops.
That was on the mean streets of Oceanside CA back in the '90s. Place has changed now......

My plan is unless I know the people super well, call 911. The way things work now I would be VERY hesitant to step into something like this. If you do, and end up having to shoot the perp, there is a damn good chance the woman he was beating will swear you murdered her man for no reason. There is a good reason why Cops hate these kind of calls.
Funny you say that, thats EXACTLY what happened!

My trainer, who is full-time cop for his day job, has us all make a list in his introductory class. He advises thus (paraphrased):
"Make a list of who you would die for to protect, and who you would protect if it meant killing someone else.
If you or anyone on your list is not in danger, then this is not your fight.
Decide who it is worth dying or killing for, and only then be prepared to take a life for that person(s)."

My list has about 5 or 6 people on it...

Last Edited:
Even with the chick (tweaker) being beaten and bloody, she told OPD I was the aggressor. They clearly knew what was going on......

4 ppl on my would shoot for them list.
Anybody else can pack their own gun or call the cops.
The cops can call for backup, and when they do there are lotsa cops who will come to their aid. I have no cavalry waiting to assist me.
The cops have legions of .gov lawyers and a powerful union on their side when they shoot somebody. Those same lawyers are out to crucify me if I shoot somebody.
OTOH if the Orc in question is menacing me as well as well as the blissninnies then I would be acting in SD, not protecting them per se.

Addendum: The chick you are willing to go the mat for when her BF is beating on her in publick will attack you if you interfere on her behalf. Just ask the cops who deal with the Violent Cretins Brigade on a regular basis. It's not the 1st time he has smacked her around, and won't be the last.

4 ppl on my would shoot for them list.
Anybody else can pack their own gun or call the cops.
The cops can call for backup, and when they do there are lotsa cops who will come to their aid. I have no cavalry waiting to assist me.
The cops have legions of .gov lawyers and a powerful union on their side when they shoot somebody. Those same lawyers are out to crucify me if I shoot somebody.
OTOH if the Orc in question is menacing me as well as well as the blissninnies then I would be acting in SD, not protecting them per se.

Addendum: The chick you are willing to go the mat for when her BF is beating on her in publick will attack you if you interfere on her behalf. Just ask the cops who deal with the Violent Cretins Brigade on a regular basis. It's not the 1st time he has smacked her around, and won't be the last.

Yup.

Don't "plan" on 3rd party interdiction ourselves. Unless said evolves (quickly) to personal/loved ones defense.

'Course, that written, never know what might happen, or what the scenario might be. Eg blatantly obvious disparity of force - druggie vs child/senior etc etc

?"True" "reasonably" apparent innocent vs "Evil"?

1) Children and Old & Feeble may qualify for a waiver.
2) I'm old and feeble, but I am not helpless. I know that having a cane and walking like my hip is blown out (it is) makes me look like a 3-legged wildebeest looks to a pride of lions. Assuming that to be the case would be erroneous.
3) I sure don't depend on 3rd party interdiction to save me from an existential threat.
4) I have seen instances of "Domestic Violence" that were actually mutual combat between worthy adversaries.
One lady we knew (call her Precious Angel, or PA for short) would actually throw chingasos with her old man (no mean opponent himself) in the street, and she gave as good as she got. Of course, it was all in good fun, and socially alternative motorsickle enthusiasts don't call the law for such frivolities.

Last Edited:
I've never hit a woman in my life. No matter what awful things have been done or said to me over the years. Now I'm dating a Latina, so I'm the one in danger of domestic violence, lol.

When I was with my first wife, she beat on me sometimes. But I was asking for it. :cool:

Be careful if you intervene...be sure that you are 100% in the right...
Even then you could wind up with both of them 'against' you.
There are cases of 'domestic violence' where the altercation is a bizzare, psychotic 'interaction' by the couple. While seemingly violent it may not be one sided with both equally involved.

There is a reason you have two officers to respond to a DV call and unless I knew them both extremely well I would not get involved in the altercation based on my past experiences.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top