JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is an oddball for sure.

If I took a rifle, and remove the barrel im 99% sure that does not make it an SBR, BUT lets say I add a barrel blank, barrel being defined as having a bore, at 12" just to see how it might look when I get a stamp or to test fitment, does that make it an SBR as its not technically a barrel as defined by the ATF.

Are you asking because you just want to "mock up" a rifle to see what it looks like? And I assume you are doing this at home?

Kinda, Im making a movie prop out of an old beat to hell Lee-Enfield thats in a condition I wouldn't consider suitable for shooting. That being said the only way the ATF says I can make it NOT a gun, in which case barrel length dosnt matter, is to torch the receiver. I dont need it to shoot, so im wondering if the barrel is solid steel stock, or aluminum stock, the length wont matter as its not a barrel.

Kinda, Im making a movie prop out of an old beat to hell Lee-Enfield thats in a condition I wouldn't consider suitable for shooting. That being said the only way the ATF says I can make it NOT a gun, in which case barrel length dosnt matter, is to torch the receiver. I dont need it to shoot, so im wondering if the barrel is solid steel stock, or aluminum stock, the length wont matter as its not a barrel.
I would think if there is no hole in the blank it would not be a barrel, just a receiver with a rod sticking out of it.

Removing the barrel on a Lee Enfield can be a challenge. JMHO and IANAL but I would think yuo could have someone weld the chamber shut and maybe even weld the bolt closed and you would be fine

A barrel with no rifling is not a rifle. A "barrel" with no bore at all (say, just a steel rod), would not be a rifle either.

Beyond that, to legally not be a firearm, I believe you have to cut it to pieces. If it can be "readily" restored, then it is still a firearm.

The IMI uzi which were imported with a 16 inch barrel and a short delrin solid barrel you could put on for display. Also recently a can cannon has a short barrel but it is blocked at the front so putting it on an ar lower still does not make the lower a sbr per the ATF. So putting on a fake barrel may be the best course. Delrin or wood also would be easier to work with as a mock up and can be press fit in.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top