JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
[rant]

OK, I know I'm new here, but something has been bugging me.

I understand that there is a rule where if you advertise something for sale in the classifieds, you have to name a price?

We all know that "he who mentions price first loses." At the least, if you ask for offers, you might get offered more than you would have asked?

I see a bunch of guys advertising something for trade, and saying what they will trade for. They mention no price.

Next, they say something like "I really don't want to sell this, but you can always PM me an offer."

I fail to see the difference between that and advertising it for sale with no price.

I will say this. I will never PM such a person an offer. Name a price or forget it, imho. :)

[/rant,] and thanks for listening. :)

The purpose of making someone mention a price is to avoid a 'bidding' situation, which always gets out of hand, and creates a ton of animosity.

The 2nd point you make, you should report that to the mods. I think that is a bit of a get-around that shouldn't be permitted.

I currently have something up in the trade section. I am not really interested in selling it outright because if I do the money will likely go to something else and I will be short one pistol. Also, trading makes more sense because if I sell, I typically have to add money to get something because of the dealers (reasonable) markup. It just makes more sense to me to trade. I get what I want. He gets what he wants. Everyone wins.

I actually put the, "PM me an offer if you want to quote". I did this because it seems that regardless of how many times the original post states that they want to trade and not sell, someone will respond with, "Cash price?" I am trying to head such questions off at the pass. I understand that people don't want to make cash offers and I respect that. I don't make cash offers on firearms in the WTT section either.

I understand your reasoning that people are trying to get a higher price than otherwise obtainable, but I don't think this is occurring in all instances.

If I want a trade, why would I post a cash price? If I post a cash price that is higher than reasonable in hopes of getting the trade I want, it will likely chase off anyone with a trade because they will think I am being unreasonable. If I post a reasonable price, I will get cash offers that I will have to turn down (in hopes of getting a trade) and therefore tick off the people making the offers.

Having said that, if I don't get a trade offer, I will likely move it into the WTT/WTS section because I have to. There, as required by the rules, I will set a hard price.

If this is a common preception, that people are taking advantage of a loophole by doing this, I will stop. But for now, this is the best way of finding the trades I want.

I will be watching this topic and will respectfully consider any counterpoints to my post.

I currently have something up in the trade section. I am not really interested in selling it outright because if I do the money will likely go to something else and I will be short one pistol. Also, trading makes more sense because if I sell, I typically have to add money to get something because of the dealers (reasonable) markup. It just makes more sense to me to trade. I get what I want. He gets what he wants. Everyone wins.

OK, I get all of that. So those sound like good reasons to refuse to sell. Why not stop right there? Imho, it's either for sale or it isn't. $.02

I actually put the, "PM me an offer if you want to quote". I did this because it seems that regardless of how many times the original post states that they want to trade and not sell, someone will respond with, "Cash price?" I am trying to head such questions off at the pass. I understand that people don't want to make cash offers and I respect that. I don't make cash offers on firearms in the WTT section either.

Just for me, that sounds like it's for sale. :)

I understand your reasoning that people are trying to get a higher price than otherwise obtainable, but I don't think this is occurring in all instances.

If I want a trade, why would I post a cash price? If I post a cash price that is higher than reasonable in hopes of getting the trade I want, it will likely chase off anyone with a trade because they will think I am being unreasonable. If I post a reasonable price, I will get cash offers that I will have to turn down (in hopes of getting a trade) and therefore tick off the people making the offers.

Having said that, if I don't get a trade offer, I will likely move it into the WTT/WTS section because I have to. There, as required by the rules, I will set a hard price.

If this is a common preception, that people are taking advantage of a loophole by doing this, I will stop. But for now, this is the best way of finding the trades I want.

I will be watching this topic and will respectfully consider any counterpoints to my post.

Imho, asking for a PM'd price is saying it's for sale, but what would I know? :)

Now if it helps any, I will say that I'll never reply to such an ad even for the trade. I've already decided that the "seller - trader" doesn't play by the rules, so already I don't trust him.

Please don't take that personally, I'm sure you're a fine guy. It's just an impression I get, in general. :)

$.02

Also with the 'bidding' situation you have the possibility of buddy bids. Someone says "i'll give you $400 for that" then you have you buddy say "I'll give you $425!" in hopes that original bidder will try to raise the price. That'll still happen with a trade posting though. Someone will say they have a better trade on the table in hopes that it will inspire another person to add more to the deal.

Plain and simple there is no perfect solution to the classifieds. I know the mod team has had many lengthy conversations about possible ways of correct/limiting all of the issues. I'm OK with the limitations we currently have. It's still an effective way of buying and selling a firearm.

On a personal level the whole "$400 OBO" thing bugs me the most. It turns into an auction with no real regulation of the highest offer.

I agree with trade me this for that with no set price if your intention is to trade it. I understand wanting to trade rather then sell out right.

I also agree with post a price if you intend to sell it. I don't respond to any "for sale" ad's anywhere that do not have a starting price associated with it.

I have been guilty of offering cash for something somebody wanted to trade however. If it's what I want i am likely to throw out a cash offer for it in hopes that it is excepted. I have had no luck doing this however. My offer is always considered to low or their asking price is to high depending on from which side of the coin you are on. I have not done this on this forum to my knowledge.

[rant]

I see a bunch of guys advertising something for trade, and saying what they will trade for. They mention no price.

Next, they say something like "I really don't want to sell this, but you can always PM me an offer."

I figure if they don't list a price they want to exclusively trade. No problems there.

If they say they don't want to sell their piece, but can PM an offer, I take it to mean that they would rather trade, but are open to cash offers (since one who names price first loses while negotiating) if they don't get a decent trade.

I don't have a problem with that either.

What I do find very annoying is someone posting that they have multiple guns of a particular model for CC, and someone says that they'll take all of them. Come one, you've only got 2 hands...what do you need 3 handguns for? ;)

Ok...that doesn't really bother me either.
I should've been faster or the seller should state that there's a limit of how many a single person can purchase....if I've got the money, why can't I pick up stocking stuffers (small handguns) for the kids?
:s0155:

I think it's fine. Really there is no reason the site should only be a good situation for buyers. I've been chased away from sites before when I was trying to sell something and honestly didn't have any close idea of the true value. Everyone jumped on me for not putting a price and I just stopped using the site. :(

I think people shouldn't worry about it. It's not like most things would end up in a dreaded bidding war anyway. :confused:

The only issue/problem I have encountered was when trying to trade my 10/22 stock & barrel for another, deal was almost a done thing (pm's were traded, agreement was 99% worked out) only to have another member step in front of it and steal the deal..... really kinda pi$$ed me off. Would I do that to someone else ? NO !

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top