JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So... Down to one dog as of recently and he goes everywhere with me now. Does anyone else travel around with a pet?

What do you carry for Bugging Home or just plain EDC for your pet/s.

So far my list is:
-Collar w/tags (he doesn't wear it normally)
-Webbed 6' leash
-Retractable 20' leash
-Collapsible water dish
-Dog waste bags
-Small bottle of water (will take 2 or more in the summer)

Beach Towl in the car for wet feet.

Not sure if I should add a cup or two of food - he doesn't eat much when we have vacationed and he is away from home.

Also, any first aid items I should think about bringing? Maybe liquid bandage for cuts from broken glass or something?

Will add a sweater/coat in the winter because he is an inside dog mostly, so he is shaved regularly.

Travel no more then 30 miles from my house rarely but the norm is 10 miles from home. Anything past that and I'm hauling a long gun and some extra supply's.

Thanks for any input:)

image.jpeg

Does he have a chip?

No he doesn't :oops::oops::oops:

I should do so and just never do it. I don't make him wear the collar 24/7 because he has a mole that is in the area and I worry it may bother him, although he has never indicated it.

I'm going to put adding a chip high in the priority list - thanks for the reminder.

I purchased a very nice kit off amazon for my pups that travels with us when we take them on hikes. It includes dog related 1st aid, food, and a few other things.

Much like this.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EV4FCSQ...TF8&colid=1X6Y5466XGNQH&coliid=I3UTJJYEWFOB29

However if things get really bad. I have had the rough conversation with my wife about the ultimatum. IE would we want to try and keep the dogs alive when it has become harder to keep ourselves alive.

We both agreed on the outcome if it got to that.

I feel that this conversation should take place for any pet owner.

In a perfect scenario you have enough food stockpiled for you and your dog. However most pet owners don't think about there dogs in there SHTF planning. If you do, than you are a far better pet owner than I am.

If you do, than you are a far better pet owner than I am

The best I can afford is a couple of bags ahead of what I need for both personal financial SHTF and an actual event.

All my first aid stuff can be used for a dog.

He is not used to walking for miles in unknown terain so his feet are a concern of mine as well until he and I can build up to that.

If I had a dog, and I soon will again then yes Id plan for its care as well. Extra water, food and even personal coats or rain gear in the event its pretty cold and raining.
I'd consider my pet to be my child, so of course Id have them covered.

Curious if you guys have any specific gear/food for your dogs. Im sure there are some cool things out there.

We have a couple silicone bowls that collapse into a frisbee type shape for travel that I like. Blue for water and we use green for food.

Other then that I'm a basics guy, the list above is what I take pretty much any time he has ever gone with me.

The nice thing with small dogs is if they run out of steam you can always carry them or let them ride in the top of your pack.

wever if things get really bad. I have had the rough conversation with my wife about the ultimatum. IE would we want to try and keep the dogs alive when it has become harder to keep ourselves alive

That is a tough call or would be.

I would advocate that a dog watching guard with thier superior senses would be worth quite a bit.

However, my buddy and his boxers that go thru 4 bags of food a month would not last long if there was a food shortage so I think the size of your pet is a major factor that I hadn't considered.

Cats suck but they can fend for themselves:D:p

Since I travel some long distances with my Chocolate Lab for hunting, I have plenty of items on hand that are easy to grab if I need to head out with him. Most of it is in his kennel except for food. And yes there is a really good first aid kit just for him.

That is a tough call or would be.

I would advocate that a dog watching guard with thier superior senses would be worth quite a bit.

However, my buddy and his boxers that go thru 4 bags of food a month would not last long if there was a food shortage so I think the size of your pet is a major factor that I hadn't considered.

Cats suck but they can fend for themselves:D:p
I have definitely weighed the thought of at least they apply little chihuahua we have as an alert dog. She'll wake you up if there is something up. She eats little and can be carried. However, her and her brother, a medium sized jack Russell mix, aren't trained for life outside the house other than an occasional overnight camp out or long hike. I'd fear by dragging them along in an EOTWAWKI scenario would be unjust for them.

As for a mild hiccup or something while we are out though. Three to four days worth of dog chow. Some chews, as well as the doggy pack always come with us. That should get the two through a few days of being stranded or something like that.

I do need to get them both a decent rain cover or something though.

I don't think there is a better dog to have in a SHTF scenario that a 'outside':rolleyes: jack Russell.
They are great hunters and could fend for themselves off rodents if necessary.
My 15yo would be a concern. She gets on a scent and can get herself lost. And she is scared of everything .
It should depend on the dog. A chocolate lab is a food getter. Some dogs may only be good for food. If the dog can't feed itself,then it should be seen as a burden if you have children.
One injury to your pet can cause a lot of grief and loss of supplies. The dog that goes with you should be a good hunter that is conditioned to bad condition hiking. Rocks and such.
I'm pretty sure I won't be leaving here but if I had to,sorry to say,my old dog probably wouldn't be in my plans.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top