JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I saw the subject of this post, the Bubblehead in me immediately thought of "Full Metal Jacket"

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: [chanting] This is my rifle.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: [grabbing his crotch] This is my gun.
Marines: This is for fighting.
Marines: [grabbing their crotches] This is for fun.

So, No I don't have a gun in my house. I keep it in my "Tent"

You have 2 general problems with this. First most of the providers really don't care, they are asking the questions on the "form". I am sure there are some providers that feel strongly one way or the other.

The second part is anyone who does not own a gun will simply say "no". If you give any answer other then "no" either they will leave it blank, or put a note on it. Not that this information is going anywhere but it will make you stand out more then a simple "no" will.

It's like we're living in a science fiction movie.

Maybe it's gotten worse, or maybe I was blissfully unaware in the 80's and 90's.

With Government involvement in HMO's it's getting worse, they are hiring young med students steeped in the new ideology. If you still have the luxury of having a family doctor, you are in a shrinking number of very fortunate folks.

They are still under HIPAA compliances which I believe is a Trojan Horse for the Fed's, it promises privacy and centralization of your records for the purpose of portability, convenience and cohesive treatment.

Most clinics and offices have accreditation by the American Medical Association (AMA) or Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME). they have requirements to meet regulations set forth by the government for accreditation.

If you look at the lobbying activities and the people they endorse for public office you might be alarmed.

As much as I hate the question, I think everyone should answer "no" to the question.

I don't really know why, but I think it would be better to not be on the "this dude is a gun nut" list.

Then again, arguing my own opinion, maybe it would be better to answer "yes" and make guns seem more main-stream and normal.

In short. ITS A TRAP!!
Someone post the pic of General Akbar!

THIS

I recently went to a new Doctor at the Vancouver clinic, the new patient form did not ask if I owned a firearm, it did have a little info on gun death statistics and stated guns should be locked up.

I would have answered no anyway, none of their damn business.

When I saw the subject of this post, the Bubblehead in me immediately thought of "Full Metal Jacket"

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: [chanting] This is my rifle.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: [grabbing his crotch] This is my gun.
Marines: This is for fighting.
Marines: [grabbing their crotches] This is for fun.

So, No I don't have a gun in my house. I keep it in my "Tent"

Morning missile:s0112:

I have been asked this 4 times now, Twice on my visits and twice on my kids visits, answer is always a calm no. This topic had been discussed on this forum before and somebody else posted that when he was asked he replied to the doctor "does your wife like anal" to which the doctor said "what" patient says " well if we're discussing unrelated stuff lets start there"......gets me laughing every time I think about it.

I am a service connected disabled Vet. and use the VA system for my healthcare. I have been asked the questions about stress and such but never about firearms. I am not stressed and would not answer any of those kinds of questions with a yes.

My other doctor knows I have guns, he is my BIL and we shoot together.

I had that question on my kids 3mth doctor visit with KP.

My wife asked me about it and I just shook my head slowly. And she got the point and put no.
But I think it asked something like do you have firearms where your kids play or something.
Technically no, not in their reach anyway.

Of course when we visit her dad's house he has about 6 rifles behind every door and corner. Kind of funny really. He owns a hundred acre farm and does or did a lot of raccoon hunting. So mos of them are .22s jus goes to auctions and buys 1 or 2 a month or no apparent reason

So is this just a government implemented question for them to catch people off guard whilst just pencil whipping through irritating paperwork? Hopping we're too dumb or busy to think about what we're doing? I have never seen this question that I can recall and I sure hope I haven't played dumb American by falling for it. I have had some time of work lately due to a injury. In my time off I've been looking at things and asking questions and I'm seeing all these crazy things, strange things Big Brother thought they could slip right under our nose so that they could have a chance at putting their eyes in our homes, and doing whatever they want with what they see. It started when I watched "Take Back Your Power"

?Take Back Your Power?: Documentary Paints Dark Picture of Smart Meters | Video | TheBlaze.com
Take Back Your Power - A film by Josh del Sol

I recommend it highly.

Though it seems like a much more innocent action, to ask such a odd question on a medical form, I cant help question the roots. Is this a real concern of our hospital has? Is someone else actually asking the question and receiving the answer? sorry to sound like I wear tinfoil hats, I promise I don't, I just find myself questioning everything now.

If you like your medical history privacy, you can keep your medical history privacy.

Unfortunately (unless I'm miss understanding what you're saying) you are extremely wrong. There is a doctor patient confidentiality law, however this is not thoroughly obeyed, and even though it clearly states everything falls under it except when a patient becomes a threat their own or someone else life, then measures and patient info can be taken to be used for safety measures, but they still get away with doing it in other cases. When a patient becomes delinquent in their medical payments, at some point the hospital will decide to sell the debt to a collection group who will then pursue for the money. This seems pretty common a thing no? lots of businesses do this. Your debt to the hospital though is a part of your patient records, which are... or should be private from prying eyes and sticky fingers according to the law. There are people who fight it and win, but some don't, and most don't even know their are being had. If they are this loose lipped with you're info from money, then who know how loose lipped they're really being for more money.

Since you are not under oath, a simple no works. By stating n/a, or other non-commital answer, you're opening that answer to interpretation and usually that would be a "yes, I do own firearms".

The do you have any guns in the house question was asked on a physical exam about 15 years ago.
I was taken totally by surprise.
When asked why he was asking about guns, he replied that the clinic was adopting a doctors for social responsible stance
against accidental death by firearms.
That even one shooting prevented was worth the lecture he was going to give regarding safety in the home.

I looked him right in the eye and said I agree that preventing accidental death was a great thing.
I had over 100 times more risk of dying from his malpractice than guns, could we talk about that?
I wanted to know what he and the clinic was doing to not kill me with iatragenic incompetence.
It was quiet for a few seconds, he said I will put down no guns in your home.
How is your blood pressure.

Never asked again and I still go to the same clinic.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top