Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

DMV offices across Oregon post signs prohibiting guns

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by drew, Sep 14, 2010.

1. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

DMV offices across Oregon post signs prohibiting guns | OregonLive.com

The sign in the article quotes says its per ORS 166.360 which only has definitions in it for use by the statues right under it
    dmvjpg-40185a34f769ad8e_large.jpg

They should at least cite the correct law, ORS 166.370. It's pretty tough to find. I don't have a problem with them notifying people of a law provided, its the correct law and accurately portrays the law.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

Now the law they cited.

2. sigman

sigman Olympia, Wa Member

When will any goverment official learn that criminals don't follow the law, thats why they are criminals! Now lets disarm the legally armed people for when the criminal comes in mad with a gun. :confused:

3. sprice37

sprice37 Albany Oregon Active Member

So if you have a concealed handhgun license it does not apply anyway. (
    when they decide to cite the correct law and not the definitions)

4. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Nice post!

5. drew

I'm tempted to print some copies of these laws and visit some DMV offices this week. For some reason, I doubt they'd appreciate my "learning lunch". You'd think they'd at least be able to cite the right law.

1337BaldEagle and ZA_Survivalist like this.
  6. drew

Unless they decide to enact an illegal gun ban. They wouldn't be the first government agency to ignore the fact they don't have the authority to ban firearms.

7. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

As long as this one is there...

8. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Ya know... I'm just full enough of piss and vinager that I may bring in a printed copy of the CORRECT ORS at my local DMV office... while wearing my pistol (while in possession of my CHL, of course) and point out that 1. they're stoooopid, and 2. should worry more about their EXPENSIVE upgraded computer system that (by most reports) STILL doesn't work properly! :D

9. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

exempts concealed handgun permit holders..... so what is the problem with these signs?

10. spengo

It's the principle of the matter son. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.
    watf.jpg

11. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

That's my thought...just carry anyways. Just make sure to take a copy of the sign with your cell phone in case you have any problems.

They didn't "take" anything...they thought they did, but they only pointed out their own stupidity...

12. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I LOL'd when I realized the quoted statute was definitions and not any actual law.

:laugh::bluelaugh::laugh:

13. spengo

Unlicensed open carry is legal in much of Oregon

14. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

They tried that at the Clark County Sheriffis office. The law specifically says that concealed carry in the public portions of a Sheriffs Office is allowed, but the Sheriffs Office posted the public areas. I don't know if anyone has tested the law and I'm too old and poor to try it myself! At one time they even changed the name of the Sheriffs office to "Justice Center" to try and get around it.
    I wish the general public could ask the AG's office for a ruling but you have to be a legislator to request a ruling.

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    WAC member
    SWWAC member

15. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Man. If I was a DMV employee, I'd opt for the realistic threat level and would prefer to be posted the law against spitting in someone's face.

When it comest to salivary glands, EVERYBODY'S PACKIN' HEAT!

16. drew

That's actually why I posted this. I couldn't believe they screwed that up. Maybe they could have listed a Washington law while they were at it.:laugh: I wonder if all the signs reference that law.:bluelaugh:

17. R-Rizzo

R-Rizzo NW Oregon Member

My first problem with this sign is that it looks like Mickey Mouse made it in three minutes with Wordpad. Come on, your a State Govt Agency, act like you have some skills. Other than that, I do not have a huge problem with the signs. They (DMV) are not attempting to ban guns, they are referencing the law that legislature has passed RE: state buildings. Although they probably should've referenced the correct ORS Number. And I think they should be required to state that CHL holders are exempt on the sign. It would save the first poor bastard who get's MWAG'd a lot of grief. But I digress.

18. LCDR

LCDR Sherwood, Oregon New Member

I have sent ODOT an email through their website, requesting clarification of their sign. I also asked if it is their intent to attempt to restrict legally carried firearms into their facilities, specifically CHL holders. Their web site indicates up to 5 days for a reply.

Anybody read the excuse in the newspaper on why they felt it was necessary.
    A car salesman got shot after a test drive.

I think this is one time OFF needs to step in if they haven't already.

LCDR

19. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Well, given the "great" State of Oregon's record of fudiciary responsibility, I'll bet those "Mickey Mouse" signs cost $10,000 each to get made, then posted.... when I think about all the funds that must have been diverted from the PERS for these, we better pass a new tax bond to make up the difference! :D

20. mpmax

mpmax Woodburn Active Member

The story in the Oregonian stated that this was prompted by the AFSME-a state employee union- who cited a car jacking of a car salesman on a test drive as justifacation. LAME.