JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
DMV offices across Oregon post signs prohibiting guns | OregonLive.com

GLADSTONE -- In the Old West, barkeepers asked cowpokes to check their sixguns at the door. Now the Oregon DMV is asking the same favor of everyone who comes in to renew drivers licenses or pick up new plates.

For the past two weeks, the state Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division has been distributing signs prohibiting firearms to all of its 64 field offices across Oregon.

The signs cite Oregon law prohibiting guns in courts, state offices or other public buildings.

DMV officials said the signs are a reaction to a series of ugly incidents over the past few years, along with an apparent increase in the number of DMV customers entering field offices with weapons.

The sign in the article quotes says its per ORS 166.360 which only has definitions in it for use by the statues right under it
dmvjpg-40185a34f769ad8e_large.jpg

They should at least cite the correct law, ORS 166.370. It's pretty tough to find. I don't have a problem with them notifying people of a law provided, its the correct law and accurately portrays the law.

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

166.370 Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility; exceptions; discharging firearm at school. (1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.
(2)(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a person who intentionally possesses:
(A) A firearm in a court facility is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony. A person who intentionally possesses a firearm in a court facility shall surrender the firearm to a law enforcement officer.
(B) A weapon, other than a firearm, in a court facility may be required to surrender the weapon to a law enforcement officer or to immediately remove it from the court facility. A person who fails to comply with this subparagraph is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony.
(b) The presiding judge of a judicial district may enter an order permitting the possession of specified weapons in a court facility.
(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(a) A sheriff, police officer, other duly appointed peace officers or a corrections officer while acting within the scope of employment.
(b) A person summoned by a peace officer to assist in making an arrest or preserving the peace, while the summoned person is engaged in assisting the officer.
(c) An active or reserve member of the military forces of this state or the United States, when engaged in the performance of duty.
(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.
(e) A person who is authorized by the officer or agency that controls the public building to possess a firearm or dangerous weapon in that public building.
(f) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.
(g) Possession of a firearm on school property if the firearm:
(A) Is possessed by a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing the firearm; and
(B) Is unloaded and locked in a motor vehicle.

(4) The exceptions listed in subsection (3)(b) to (g) of this section constitute affirmative defenses to a charge of violating subsection (1) of this section.
(5)(a) Any person who knowingly, or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, discharges or attempts to discharge a firearm at a place that the person knows is a school shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.
(b) Paragraph (a) of this subsection does not apply to the discharge of a firearm:
(A) As part of a program approved by a school in the school by an individual who is participating in the program;
(B) By a law enforcement officer acting in the officer’s official capacity; or
(C) By an employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.
(6) Any weapon carried in violation of this section is subject to the forfeiture provisions of ORS 166.279.
(7) Notwithstanding the fact that a person’s conduct in a single criminal episode constitutes a violation of both subsections (1) and (5) of this section, the district attorney may charge the person with only one of the offenses.
(8) As used in this section, “dangerous weapon” means a dangerous weapon as that term is defined in ORS 161.015. [1969 c.705 §§2,4; 1977 c.207 §2; 1979 c.398 §2; 1989 c.839 §22; 1989 c.982 §5; 1991 c.67 §39; 1993 c.625 §1; 1999 c.782 §7; 1999 c.1040 §4; 2001 c.666 §§24,36; 2003 c.614 §6; 2009 c.556 §6]
Now the law they cited.
166.360 Definitions for ORS 166.360 to 166.380. As used in ORS 166.360 to 166.380, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) “Capitol building” means the Capitol, the State Office Building, the State Library Building, the Labor and Industries Building, the State Transportation Building, the Agriculture Building or the Public Service Building and includes any new buildings which may be constructed on the same grounds as an addition to the group of buildings listed in this subsection.
(2) “Court facility” means a courthouse or that portion of any other building occupied by a circuit court, the Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court or the Oregon Tax Court or occupied by personnel related to the operations of those courts, or in which activities related to the operations of those courts take place.
(3) “Loaded firearm” means:
(a) A breech-loading firearm in which there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in or attached to the firearm including but not limited to, in a chamber, magazine or clip which is attached to the firearm.
(b) A muzzle-loading firearm which is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball, shot or projectile in the barrel or cylinder.
(4) “Public building” means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility.
(5) “Weapon” means:
(a) A firearm;
(b) Any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slingshot, metal knuckles or any similar instrument or a knife other than an ordinary pocket knife, the use of which could inflict injury upon a person or property;
(c) Mace, tear gas, pepper mace or any similar deleterious agent as defined in ORS 163.211;
(d) An electrical stun gun or any similar instrument;
(e) A tear gas weapon as defined in ORS 163.211;
(f) A club, bat, baton, billy club, bludgeon, knobkerrie, nunchaku, nightstick, truncheon or any similar instrument, the use of which could inflict injury upon a person or property; or
(g) A dangerous or deadly weapon as those terms are defined in ORS 161.015. [1969 c.705 §1; 1977 c.769 §2; 1979 c.398 §1; 1989 c.982 §4; 1993 c.741 §2; 1999 c.577 §2; 1999 c.782 §6; 2001 c.201 §1]

When will any goverment official learn that criminals don't follow the law, thats why they are criminals! Now lets disarm the legally armed people for when the criminal comes in mad with a gun. :confused:

I'm tempted to print some copies of these laws and visit some DMV offices this week. For some reason, I doubt they'd appreciate my "learning lunch". You'd think they'd at least be able to cite the right law.

So if you have a concealed handhgun license it does not apply anyway. (
when they decide to cite the correct law and not the definitions)

Unless they decide to enact an illegal gun ban. They wouldn't be the first government agency to ignore the fact they don't have the authority to ban firearms.

Ya know... I'm just full enough of piss and vinager that I may bring in a printed copy of the CORRECT ORS at my local DMV office... while wearing my pistol (while in possession of my CHL, of course) and point out that 1. they're stoooopid, and 2. should worry more about their EXPENSIVE upgraded computer system that (by most reports) STILL doesn't work properly! :D

exempts concealed handgun permit holders..... so what is the problem with these signs?

That's my thought...just carry anyways. Just make sure to take a copy of the sign with your cell phone in case you have any problems.

It's the principle of the matter son. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

They didn't "take" anything...they thought they did, but they only pointed out their own stupidity...

They tried that at the Clark County Sheriffis office. The law specifically says that concealed carry in the public portions of a Sheriffs Office is allowed, but the Sheriffs Office posted the public areas. I don't know if anyone has tested the law and I'm too old and poor to try it myself! At one time they even changed the name of the Sheriffs office to "Justice Center" to try and get around it.
I wish the general public could ask the AG's office for a ruling but you have to be a legislator to request a ruling.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Man. If I was a DMV employee, I'd opt for the realistic threat level and would prefer to be posted the law against spitting in someone's face.

When it comest to salivary glands, EVERYBODY'S PACKIN' HEAT!

I LOL'd when I realized the quoted statute was definitions and not any actual law.

:s0114::s0112::s0114:

That's actually why I posted this. I couldn't believe they screwed that up. Maybe they could have listed a Washington law while they were at it.:s0114: I wonder if all the signs reference that law.:s0112:

My first problem with this sign is that it looks like Mickey Mouse made it in three minutes with Wordpad. Come on, your a State Govt Agency, act like you have some skills. Other than that, I do not have a huge problem with the signs. They (DMV) are not attempting to ban guns, they are referencing the law that legislature has passed RE: state buildings. Although they probably should've referenced the correct ORS Number. And I think they should be required to state that CHL holders are exempt on the sign. It would save the first poor bastard who get's MWAG'd a lot of grief. But I digress.

I have sent ODOT an email through their website, requesting clarification of their sign. I also asked if it is their intent to attempt to restrict legally carried firearms into their facilities, specifically CHL holders. Their web site indicates up to 5 days for a reply.

Anybody read the excuse in the newspaper on why they felt it was necessary.
A car salesman got shot after a test drive.

I think this is one time OFF needs to step in if they haven't already.

LCDR

My first problem with this sign is that it looks like Mickey Mouse made it in three minutes with Wordpad. Come on, your a State Govt Agency, act like you have some skills.

Well, given the "great" State of Oregon's record of fudiciary responsibility, I'll bet those "Mickey Mouse" signs cost $10,000 each to get made, then posted.... when I think about all the funds that must have been diverted from the PERS for these, we better pass a new tax bond to make up the difference! :D

The story in the Oregonian stated that this was prompted by the AFSME-a state employee union- who cited a car jacking of a car salesman on a test drive as justifacation. LAME.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top