JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reloading shotgun shells with black powder loads is very fun and rewarding.
With that said....
I have not had very good luck with Winchester "AA" shells.
The plastic hull has melted after firing....leaving red spaghetti in the chamber...
That is a fun mess to clean up ....:eek: :D
Andy

Reloading shotgun shells with black powder loads is very fun and rewarding.
With that said....
I have not had very good luck with Winchester "AA" shells.
The plastic hull has melted after firing....leaving red spaghetti in the chamber...

That is a fun mess to clean up ....:eek: :D
Andy
THANK YOU FOR THAT HEADS UP!!!
I almost bought a box of 100 earlier today, but passed.

You are very welcome Dean...:D

The shotgun this happened with was an old Belgium made side by side , outside hammers ...with cut down barrels....
it was made to look like a "coach gun".
The neatest thing about the gun was....
One the butt stock was a deep stamp that read :
"Property of MGM Studios".....Wonder how many movies that gun was in....?
Andy

The best way to do this is with all brass shot shells!

1590124192044.png
There are hand loading tools for reloading these on the fly, super easy to do, and very effective! Bonus is brass life is very good and would likely serve your needs for a very long time!

Dave was a well known Canadian survivalist.
I think the idea of this video was to be able to reload a shell in the field with items you may already have (as opposed to going out and buying a reloading kit).

I believe that for just a few dollars Lee does it better. Why? Because....crimp and re-size plus it's a complete purpose-built tool kit. But then, finding a kit in 12 ga. might be a problem as I haven't seen one in a while.

Aloha, Mark

PS....I have a Mec 600 Jr but I haven't used it in years. For me....I just buy promo 12 ga ammo and save my time for other things.

Last Edited:
Probably. What the guy demonstrates is basically a home-made Lee Loader (in fact, I almost titled this thread that way) and I'm sure a purpose built product that you can buy would do a better job, or at least make it easier, but as I stated before, I believe the point here is to be able to do that with items you may already have laying around the house (think "SHTF" or "TEOTWAWKI").
Anyway, Lee doesn't even make a version for loading shotshells anymore....and I still like his wadding idea.

Last Edited:
In the back section of the Dixie Gun Works catalogs...there is a huge information section.
There is a short article on loading shot shells with bird shot , buck shot or ball ...all with homemade equipment.
A new catalog is around $5 or $6 dollars...the price for the catalog is well worth the information section alone.
Andy

Probably. What the guy demonstrates is basically a home-made Lee Loader (in fact, I almost titled this thread that way) and I'm sure a purpose built product that you can buy would do a better job, or at least make it easier, but as I stated before, I believe the point here is to be able to do that with items you may already have laying around the house (think "SHTF" or "TEOTWAWKI").
Anyway, Lee doesn't even make a version for loading shotshells anymore....and I still like his wadding idea.

Yup. I once thought about finding one in .410 ga. But, after months of gun show shopping, I gave up on the idea. Anyway, my son sold off his .410 shotgun.

IMHO, cost-wise and convenience wise. If you're happy with promo ammo then, .12 ga. is just a lot "better" to deal with.

And Yeah.....recoil for youngsters is a problem.:(

Aloha, Mark

PS....maybe LEE should be thinking about re-introducing it (in limited runs)?

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top