JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I handloaded the capsules using #6 shot and Red Dot powder out of a 4" model 29. Shot probably 50 grouse on the wing off of horseback.. never missed one as they would go straight up in the high grass at 8-10' away and it'd be done.
The longer the barrel the worse the pattern will be.
I've always wanted to try pouring some paraffin into the shot to hold the shot together better. Kind of like a wax slug. I'm not sure I would try a shot cartridge on a big raccoon though. The shot cartridges work great on rats and mice up to about 10 ft out of my model 36 with a 3 inch barrel. If I put them in my model 27 6" I definitely get a donut pattern.

If I ever get more, I'll run them through the chronograph.
Oh boy, shot shells over the chrono. I did that when I was experimenting with loading all brass hulls. That was a sporting course, at least with the cheap Chrony unit that I have. I didn't destroy any equipment, but I got some wild variations in readings. If the light isn't just right, sometimes it won't pick up the small mass of a .224 bullet. With shot shell loads, I think sometimes the only thing recording was the passage of the wad material. But I know it can be done successfully, it just wasn't working well for me under given circumstances. The #12 shot might be a challenge.

I've always wanted to try pouring some paraffin into the shot to hold the shot together better. Kind of like a wax slug. I'm not sure I would try a shot cartridge on a big raccoon though. The shot cartridges work great on rats and mice up to about 10 ft out of my model 36 with a 3 inch barrel. If I put them in my model 27 6" I definitely get a donut pattern.
I've shot those reusable, primer powered plastic projectiles and paraffin "slugs" too. I'd dome a rat with one of those but not much bigger.

Oh boy, shot shells over the chrono. I did that when I was experimenting with loading all brass hulls. That was a sporting course, at least with the cheap Chrony unit that I have. I didn't destroy any equipment, but I got some wild variations in readings. If the light isn't just right, sometimes it won't pick up the small mass of a .224 bullet. With shot shell loads, I think sometimes the only thing recording was the passage of the wad material. But I know it can be done successfully, it just wasn't working well for me under given circumstances. The #12 shot might be a challenge.
Good point.

I'd try some wax blanks, they actually hit pretty hard with just a primer. I have cases that use 209 primers and some that use LPP. I use 209s now, since I have a few thousand and don't load shotgun. You could probably take a 44 case, open the flash hole a bit and use them with wax. Obviously at your own risk ;)
Oh and they are fun to shoot, nobody cares if you pop off a few.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads