JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Serious question here, unfortunately.

Have any of you gone through a difficult, and loud, divorce with firearms in the house? I'm in the final stages of marriage and we're just now sinking into the divorce part of our relationship. We split up the guns ages ago, and I even have a spreadsheet with serial numbers and who each gun belongs to.

We're not violent, though there are yelling matches. I'm just concerned she may up and try to sell them out from under me.

Just this morning.

I'm thinking of getting a strong-box just for my daily carry, but she has a pistol for home-defense(no carry permit yet) when I'm gone. We're not Whiskey Tango enough for me to worry about getting shot, it's not that kind of threat. I just don't want the woman selling my damned rifles!

I understan what you are saying I had a friend move all of his guns to my place along time ago when he was going through a divorce. His wife freaked because she had planned just what you were thinking she was going to go to a pawn shop and sell all of them as cheap as she could. Once the divorce was final I gave them back to him and that was basicly the only thing he had left form the marriage.

I'm sorry to hear about that. Definately find a friend to store the guns for you, or even "sell" them to him for a low price(safe rental fee) with bill of sale, etc. If the attorney gets testy about it, you can prove that you sold them with the bill of sale, though they might want 50% of the money you got from them.

After the divorce is final, he can "sell" them back to you and you're only a couple $ less if the attorney goes that far.

Get yours out of the house when she is not around. Tell her you had to sell them to pay for a lawyer (if it's headed in that direction) or something. She'll either be overjoyed at your pain or she might even feel sorry for you. Either way, she doesn't need to know where they are or that yous till have them. Let her deal with her guns. Heck, have her post them here in the classifieds.

Get your firearms out of the house today. Don't wait another moment. A coworker lost all of his firearms when his soon-to-be-ex sold them all. His attorney said "Sorry Charlie". There was nothing he could do to recover them.

Get them out today!

rayd8: Haven't gotten that far yet. No actual proceedings are in process, but I'm done and ready to get that ball rolling. Thus the meat of my question.

Andy: I'm asking around to friends who may have space for them. But I have so much ammo that it'll be difficult.

I agree with Jerry that getting the guns out of the house would be a good idea. A public storage space will do if your friends can't hold them for you. Just keep an inventory of everything you remove so you can't later be said to have been trying to preempt a settlement of the joint assets. If you don't want to do that, slap a trigger lock on each firearm.

One justification for doing so would be to prevent her from selling easily-sold assets like guns.

But another is that tensions around the house are going to rise here shortly, and having firearms in the house under those conditions is just a bad idea, especially if there are kids in the house. Neither one of you is violent. OK. But an angry divorce may breed emotions neither of you expects. By moving the guns out of the house (while keeping an inventory), you look like the responsible safety-oriented person, not like someone who is trying to steal something from his wife. I would include "her" gun if it's owned by you or both of you. You aren't taking them; you are segregating them for safety purposes to be divided equitably later.

A third reason is that sometimes these shouting matches result in a visit from the local constabulary. Being able to say truthfully that there are no firearms in the house will make everyone breathe a little easier in that situation.

I wouldn't worry about ammo in the house if you get the guns out.

I'm asking around to friends who may have space for them. But I have so much ammo that it'll be difficult.

Sorry to hear about your situation. This has to be a rough time. Hopefully your friends will be able to help. But , if that doesn't work out please let us know. I realize that we don't know each other but if you have trouble finding space I would be willing to help with a temporary "relocation program". I would be able to make space here.

P.M. me if you would like contact info.

From my personal experience... When things like this get nasty...yelling and screaming, if the other party files a restraining order, even before it goes to court,( you have the right to contest it) in my case my soon to be ex called me and threatened to kill me (which I had on my answereing machine) I got a restraining order on him, He and his girlfriend then filed one on me saying that since I had all of my firearms in the house they were threatened by me because they were "afraid" of my firearms. When I was served with the restraining order (at work no less) I had exactly 12 hours to get all of my firearm out of the house, cataloged, with serial #'s and description, and where they were moved to, who had control of them, who had access to them, and the description turned in to the sheriffs office.

So my advise is to protect yourself from this hassle, protect your firearms, and hopefully you will not have to go thru to much poop.

And just so no one thinks that i took all my poor ex's guns, they were mine not his. At the time he only owned 2, which he took with him.

Hope this advise helps, and hope it all gets settled soon, and sorry you have to go thru this, it is usually not nice, but it gets better, and life goes on. :eek:

First rule of thumb is...never reveal all your guns and money/assests to your love ones, especially the wife. No offense to the women that acts normal, but there are some who are very vindictive/vengeful that will try to get whatever and more if they can. No matter how much you start out loving your wife...one day things can change and that is why you never reveal everything (for your protection). You can always write a will and have it sealed until your death, then your wife can have whatever.

Now you need to make your guns disappear. Do not even make a comment to her saying that you sold it. When she ask you where are all the guns...pretend to go get it and then be all emotional "WTF did someone come in here and stole it"...I have a co-worker that doesn't even let his wife know the combination to the safe. Protect what is yours no matter how much you love the other person.

Right now like everyone said...get your guns out now! Then do not tell her where it is or what happened. Play dumb.

I'm currently negotiating with a friend to see if I can put a safe in a hidden corner of their garage. If that falls through I can ship them down to my father in CA, but I'd prefer to avoid the incredibly high shipping that would cost me.

I do plan on keeping my carry weapon, as she will be keeping hers and it would be way out of the ordinary for her to not see me load and holster before walking out the door. Was also thinking about keeping the ar7 around just because I really do want to be able to go out and plink, and it's the least valuable of all my weapons.

I really appreciate the advice guys, keep it coming.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top