JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While it's true that you can buy firearms and ammunition at WalMart, this store is NOT a friend of gun owners. WalMart has a history of sucking up to the government when it is to their benefit (i.e. their support for Obama Bin Ladins "health care" program.) When the time is right, WalMart will dump on gun owners. I believe that we should support dealers who will stand by us when the SHTF. Local and small dealers are the gun owner's best friend, not monster mega department stores like WalMart. Walmart is only interested in the almighty dollar. While it's true that small dealers cannot buy the massive quantities that WalMart can (thus charging less for their products),these local gun shops will(hopefully) still be standing with us long after WalMart has left the firearms business. The local dealer is a gun owners best friend. They need our support!

My first centerfire rifle was a Christmas present from my parents, a Marlin .30-30 bought at Sears.

One of my first bigbore revolvers was a Smith & Wesson Model 57 bought at Montgomery Wards. I also bought a Model 25 there as well.

I currently own a Wards and a Sears house branded version of the Stevens 520, both are 20 gauge. Funny, both guns were built by Stevens for what were two of the biggest retail competitors in the country.

I also have a JC Penneys Foremost 840, which is nothing more than a Savage 340 bolt action .30-30.

The house brand names can be hilarious at times. Hawthorne, Ted Williams, Western field, Foremost, Hercules, Lightning, the list is endless......

Some of the WallyWorld stores still have rifles on display, although the locations vary greatly any more. The one in Redmond, Oregon, features 15 or 20 rifles on the rack at any given time. The prices are close to what you'd expect but certainly no great bargains. In fact, I bought a Ruger 10/22 a year or so ago from the Cent Wise shop in Redmond for less money than the asking price for the same gun at WallyWorld. I suspect that I would have been happy to pay a little more for the Ruger to get it at Cent Wise anyway, but I didn't have to in this case.

In any event, it's sure not like the old days. The Sears store I grew up going to in Michigan was well-packed with all sorts of rifles, especially in the fall when the pheasant, duck, and deer seasons all collided.

I, too, remember when Sears sold all manner of firearms. They even sold guns through their catalogs. Do you remember those catalogs? I loved them and we always looked forward to them (twice a year). But, WHERE are they now that we need them? Long gone! Like Wal-Mart will someday do. A small local dealer is the only friend that gunowners have. And, NO!, I am NOT a gun dealer. I am semi-retired just working enough to keep insurance for my wife who is ill. I guess I should add that Bi-Mart is very gun friendly and seem to look out for gun owners. At least they're not price gouging during these tight times.

Seen while driving through Arizona c. 1982, Used Revolvers in the glass case under the cash register at 7-11 and Shell Gas stations :)

Then in Texas, free 6-pack of Lone Star with a tank of gas. <don't you love that combo?>

Oh yah, drive up bars in Florida where you press the button for to order and take out.

Maybe the ol' days weren't too bright with some of those.

Remember when you could walk into your favorite Sears, or Montgomery Wards, J.C. Penney, Grants, Coast to Coast, and more, and they had a mind-boggling array of guns?

I remember growing up, reading the Sears catalogue, and in addition to all the great fishing equipment, there were pages of guns to be had, just a phone call away, and they could be dropped off at your doorstep, C.O.D.

Don't know what got me thinking about it, but I was thinking about my first Winchester Model 94, and I bought it from J.C. Penney in Tacoma, while I was in the Army. 75 bucks, and I just didn't know how I could afford it, while at the same time, I was trying to decide if I should buy it, or a surplus Mauser.

Oh, the good old days.:)

WAYNO.

Wish I could mourn about those good ole days. I only have a 1/4 century under my belt so I cant even imagine a time like that. It's a blast to here you mature fellas reminiscing about it though!!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top