JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Remember when you could walk into your favorite Sears, or Montgomery Wards, J.C. Penney, Grants, Coast to Coast, and more, and they had a mind-boggling array of guns?

I remember growing up, reading the Sears catalogue, and in addition to all the great fishing equipment, there were pages of guns to be had, just a phone call away, and they could be dropped off at your doorstep, C.O.D.

Don't know what got me thinking about it, but I was thinking about my first Winchester Model 94, and I bought it from J.C. Penney in Tacoma, while I was in the Army. 75 bucks, and I just didn't know how I could afford it, while at the same time, I was trying to decide if I should buy it, or a surplus Mauser.

Oh, the good old days.:)

WAYNO.

wichaka I used to have that same shotgun in highschool......that was the biggest grouse gun I ever used (it was my only shotgun) when I saw a grouse I knew I had to walk backwards about 30 more feet before I fired so there would be something left of it.

a guy was telling me you used to be able to buy Colt ar15s (sp1s) at walmart

i was looking through a old 1920s sears catalog and they had tommy guns i think they were like $29

When I moved to vancouver in 1960 the Wards store at Jantzen Beach still had handguns on display for sale.
As a kid in Miami,Fl you could buy smle's all day long for ten bucks.
ahh,the good old days .

I've got an old single-shot .22 rifle that my grandfather bought at Sears. The barrel is marked: Sears Ted Williams .22 short, long, and long rifle. It could use a nice re-blue, but it is a fantastic shooter! :s0155:

wichaka I used to have that same shotgun in highschool......that was the biggest grouse gun I ever used (it was my only shotgun) when I saw a grouse I knew I had to walk backwards about 30 more feet before I fired so there would be something left of it.

Mine has screw in chokes, and patterns real well.

And now that firearms are not available at these stores any longer, at least the stores that are still in business R.I.P. GI Joes (not Joes but the original GI Joes) has the crime rate been reduced? Slowly but surely our freedoms are being taken away.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan

I have a Sears & Roebuck model 200 12 gauge, which I believe is a Remington.

And I have a Wards Western Field .22, 5 shot clip, peep sites, 24" barrel.

If any one could tell me who made this and what model it might be, that would be so cool. I think it is a Stevens, but I have done a lot of google research and can't match it's picture to anything yet.

P1010330.jpg

P1010329-1.jpg

My grandfathers .22 I inherited is a Monkey Wards Stevens (I believe Mdl 21) .22LR. Thing is a piece of junk. Put more than 4 rds in the 7 rd magazine and the spring compresses against the sides of the mag and the rounds spit up through the top and if you squeeze the trigger hard enough you can watch the front sight move up and down. One screw holds the receiver to the stock so you get a pivot point. There is more metal and wood in that rifle than modern day .22LR and I love that gun.

SF-

Guns in stores are making a come back. Big 5 has always had guns. Remember when you could buy a gun at the MALL?!?! Well, those days are coming back too. You can buy (overpriced) guns at Dick's Sporting Goods at Washington Square Mall.

And now that firearms are not available at these stores any longer, at least the stores that are still in business R.I.P. GI Joes (not Joes but the original GI Joes) has the crime rate been reduced? Slowly but surely our freedoms are being taken away.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan

You are 100% correct and I am really happy to see this happening again. I am looking back to a time when there were multiple stores around that sold guns in there stores, people could have them sent direct to there homes and kids would take there 22's to school for a PE class.

Sevral of the guns I own came from Wal-mart. You used to be able to get a Winchester 1300 Defender for around $200.00. Try and find one know. My first Ruger 10/22 with a S/S barrel came from Wally world, cost $249.00. Now I can get a nice handgun for less then a nice 10/22.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top