JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Even with a UPIN, which I've had since 2010, I get delayed from time to time. It has gotten better though since I got a deny last year, FBI guy called the FFL the next day and was pissed off that it happened, he proceeded it and said he took care of something or another that caused it. I have to agree with another poster, their are folks who work in the NICS section that actually care about doing a good job and getting it right.

Congrats OP, enjoy that fine handgun :)

It doesn't matter who you are, who your daddy is or what you do. I've worked for the Government for 18 years now, and I also went through an extensive background investigation. I've also been vetted for security clearances so I could work around highly sensitive areas with things that civilians don't have access to. I've had a Washington CPL since 1990 and also have the Utah CFP, and my Oregon CHL will be arriving any day.

However, none of that even matters when it comes to the NICS check. The computers don't give a damn. I was told by my contact at the DOJ NICS section that what flags an individual the most for a delay is because of our names. Others have the same exact names or similar. A lot of people also don't provide their Social Security number on the paperwork. I used to not provide it either on principle. I really was frustrated with the system and that is why I initially contacted the DOJ in writing. Eventually I obtained the VAF UPIN and the delays have ceased ever since.

It would be prudent for a person with repeated delays to obtain a VAF UPIN. If your application for the VAF UPIN is denied then that would indicate you have something from your past that is legally preventing you from possessing a firearm. When your response from the DOJ NICS Section, with or without a VAF UPIN, arrives via the USPS First Class Mail you will be provided with a number to call if you have any questions regarding your initial request. Again, I speak from my personal experience and your results may differ from mine. Most people are good people and those of us who've experienced delays need to know that there is an alternative which will in most cases resolve the matter of delays and it's called a VAF UPIN. I'm just a messenger who is sharing pertinent information to help others save themselves the hassle I went through once upon a time. Good luck and take care! HOL3.JPG

I applied for a UPIN, 26 months ago and am still waiting...

Don't hold your breath thinking it's a quick fix to anything.

If you haven't already, try following up in writing. I recall that there is information on the application which addresses the issue of when you can expect to hear from them regarding your VAF UPIN. In my initial post on this thread I uploaded an VAF UPIN Application which you can click on for that information. If further information is required I will upon request provide you with the details which may help you shed light on why it's taking 26 months. Obviously from my perspective something is wrong. If it was a matter of taking 26 days I would start getting concerned, 26 months is ridiculous. Call or write, either way make sure you are cordial with your communications. I'm thinking you have fell through the system. Every time I've contacted the DOJ in writing they have sent me an written acknowledgement that they received my inquiry and when I can expect to hear back from them with a resolution. It would also be prudent to always send your written correspondence via USPS Certified Return Receipt so as to have a paper trail. That type of mail gets peoples attention and it receives a higher level of care because a response is normally required in short order. Good luck.

If you haven't already, try following up in writing. I recall that there is information on the application which addresses the issue of when you can expect to hear from them regarding your VAF UPIN. In my initial post on this thread I uploaded an VAF UPIN Application which you can click on for that information. If further information is required I will upon request provide you with the details which may help you shed light on why it's taking 26 months. Obviously from my perspective something is wrong. If it was a matter of taking 26 days I would start getting concerned, 26 months is ridiculous. Call or write, either way make sure you are cordial with your communications. I'm thinking you have fell through the system. Every time I've contacted the DOJ in writing they have sent me an written acknowledgement that they received my inquiry and when I can expect to hear back from them with a resolution. It would also be prudent to always send your written correspondence via USPS Certified Return Receipt so as to have a paper trail. That type of mail gets peoples attention and it receives a higher level of care because a response is normally required in short order. Good luck.

You have not been following the ATF changes I assume, over a year ago they suspended the appeals department due to unprecedented backlogs. The rush of 41p suppressor paperwork filings further buried them. 18-24 months is typical for a response time these days.

And for me it's no longer an issue, I am now an Idaho resident with a CCW card and don't have to do background checks. You fill out the paperwork and walk out the door.

Politically motivated? Dunno. In Oregon after a three, (3) day (office hours) delay, the gun shop can legally transfer you the firearm? Used to be like that. My local Class 3 dealer has done that many times.

But also understand that most if not nearly all FFL dealers will not do so. Why I do not understand. May be political. May just be a business plan routine decision. Ask your purchasing FFL dealer? Good luck.

Respectfully.

PS... I am giving up trying to equalize paragraph lengths. Impossible. It is a diabolical commie plot designed to drive one crazy. No matter how many times you try, each edit presentation is delivered DIFFERENTLY. :)
I believe in WA it's 5 day's on a handgun then they can release it to you

I get delayed on every gun I buy but I learned my lesson year's ago when I went to a big sporting goods store and waiting 30 day's before canceling the purchase now I only buy from stores I know will release it after the first week

This topic comes up about 2 or 3 time's in a year most of the time it's after something like Las Vegas with all the talk about gun bans and gun control you can bet the BATF is flooded with background check 's so there will be lots of people getting delayed

I was also told it was your name that would delay you. I was advised to dump the middle initial on my drivers license and spell out my name instead. No more delays.
I'm sure my name has something to do with my delays when the BATF person types my last name in there computer I bet that thing starts smoking because of my brother the CRIMINAL LOL

I'm sure my name has something to do with my delays when the BATF person types my last name in there computer I bet that thing starts smoking because of my brother the CRIMINAL LOL

That could VERY well be why then if you have a family member who is on the list. Still seems strange to me though. Some names have got to be so damn common that there is tons of them. Back when Wamu was here I had a couple accounts there. One day had my card but not the account # I needed. Woman looking said they had like 12 or so people with my exact name as customers. This was with my middle name spelled out too. So across the entire US, damn, there has got to be some with my name who are not upstanding people. :)

You have not been following the ATF changes I assume, over a year ago they suspended the appeals department due to unprecedented backlogs. The rush of 41p suppressor paperwork filings further buried them. 18-24 months is typical for a response time these days.

No, I haven't been following every ATF change even though I get regular email updates from ATF Offices in WA, TN, and FL which are States I have business in. I do know that for the past year or so that all Government Agency's have been not filling vacancies when staff has retired, moved, or been terminated. Some Agency's staff have been cut by as much as 30%. Another problem is that people are finding positions in the private sector which pay them more money and they don't have to deal with bureaucratic fallout either, thus contributing to the shortage of personnel. These are some of the main reasons why the branch I work in is having issues. That 18-24 months is ridiculous, unless of course there is only 1-2 people processing the mountains of backlogged paperwork. That's our tax paying dollars hard at work, huh.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top