JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, folks.
My better half allowed me to buy a new Walther for our anniversary. I went to pick up the gun last Friday and was told I got a delay.
Here it is three days later and it's still delayed. I have a totally clean record and I bought a gun about three months ago. The check went through in about 10 minutes

What the heck is going on? I also have a WA CCW license. This is really frustrating.

Hi, folks.
My better half allowed me to buy a new Walther for our anniversary. I went to pick up the gun last Friday and was told I got a delay.
Here it is three days later and it's still delayed. I have a totally clean record and I bought a gun about three months ago. The check went through in about 10 minutes

What the heck is going on? I also have a WA CCW license. This is really frustrating.

I assume you mean you have a WA CPL?
As for the delay it happens from time to time for no known reason often. Has happened to me, my Wife, and my Father at least one time each and we have CPL's. Last couple times it happened it was also on a Friday or Saturday and the sale did not OK until the following Monday. I think today was some kind of holiday that only the Government follows. My guess is if you check with the shop tomorrow it will go through. If I remember right they only have to wait so many days and if they do not get a denied they will let you take the gun. Again the shop should have explained this to you?

The gun shop guy did say they have been getting a lot of delays recently. Weekends the FBI gets hammered with gun show checks and those are moved to the front of the line because they are time sensitive. Today was a federal holiday I forgot about.

Hopefully tomorrow...

When Obama was in office and after Sandy Hook it took 1-2 weeks for a background check. We just had an event involving a gun. I am sure many rushed out and bought a gun thus causing a delay.

We are going through that right now with my step son. I bought him a new Walther Creed. Had it shipped in and it was delayed. That was something like 3 weeks ago, not denied or approved yet. We read the law closely and they have 3 days to deny the sale but as I read it......they never have to approve it. I got on the phone last night with the FFL, he had talked to the ATF and they confirmed it. Then told him if he didn't want to release the gun, he didn't have to. He has been wringing his hands.......I told him to release it or we will have it sent to someone that will. My step son is supposed to pick it up at 4:30 this afternoon. I think a large part of our problem was the inexperiance of the FFL. I get delayed from time to time but the FFL has always released the gun after the legal waiting time. The last time I was delayed was a few years ago, right after I pickrd up my Gentec muffler. (The same day) I went to pick up my 1938 Schuler over under trap gun and was delayed........

As someone who gets delayed 40-50% of the time, I always check the FFLs policy regarding this. Some call it the "Charleston loophole", but it's really a safeguard so they can't arbitrarily deny you your rights indefinitely.

That's ridiculous!! Is there any recourse if you're delayed that long?

At minimum, I'd insist on my money back.

Others have brought this up in this thread. I had "thought" there was a certain time frame until the Dealer could just let you have the gun if you were not denied. Some mentioned that here but the problem is some dealers are afraid to do so. I had never thought of this when ordering a gun. I will certainly ask next time I do just in case this happens. Have you checked with the shop you are buying from to ask if you got the proceed yet?

Still delayed.

The only thing I can figure is maybe ARs are flying off the shelves due to what happened in Vegas.
At this point if it was me I would next ask. So how many business days do you as a dealer have to wait? At the end of that time if I am still delayed what are you planing on doing? When this is over with I would encourage you to let the group know the name of the shop also. If this is handled well others will want to know. If handled poorly others will want to know that too.

At this point if it was me I would next ask. So how many business days do you as a dealer have to wait? At the end of that time if I am still delayed what are you planing on doing? When this is over with I would encourage you to let the group know the name of the shop also. If this is handled well others will want to know. If handled poorly others will want to know that too.
I will do that.

I have bought several guns from this place over the past 12-18 months and have never had a delay before. They know I have a clean record since they have done several background checks on me before.

If I don't hear anything by tomorrow around noon I'm going to call to see what's going on.

I will do that.

I have bought several guns from this place over the past 12-18 months and have never had a delay before. They know I have a clean record since they have done several background checks on me before.

If I don't hear anything by tomorrow around noon I'm going to call to see what's going on.

Having a valid CPL means you are not the problem here. The problem is this is what happens when we give an agency the power to hold something like this. I thought I had heard about the so many days and the sale could go. Silly me I assumed this meant that was the worst thing that could happen. I never stopped to think that some FFL's may be afraid to do this. This was a big wake up to me that I will be checking on next time I buy. Come to think of it I will ask even before paying cash at a dealer now. I know ever since this law the dealers I have been to get the payment first. Guess they did not want to waste a lot of time on people who could not buy. The shops all have some policy on what happens if you are denied. I never paid any attention to that as I was not worried about that. Now this never ending delay is something I had never even thought of. I will certainly ask before plunking down my cash. So if the Feds act like the DMV, ie we don't care because we don't have too, what happens here? Let us know how the shop treats this when it's done.

Politically motivated? Dunno. In Oregon after a three, (3) day (office hours) delay, the gun shop can legally transfer you the firearm? Used to be like that. My local Class 3 dealer has done that many times.

But also understand that most if not nearly all FFL dealers will not do so. Why I do not understand. May be political. May just be a business plan routine decision. Ask your purchasing FFL dealer? Good luck.

Respectfully.

PS... I am giving up trying to equalize paragraph lengths. Impossible. It is a diabolical commie plot designed to drive one crazy. No matter how many times you try, each edit presentation is delivered DIFFERENTLY. :)

I get delayed everytime, I have my washinton CPL and I write in my SS number on the form. Its without fail, and ususally 3 days later I get the call to come and get it. Doesnt matter, rifle, shotgun, or pistol I know I wont walk out with it.

I get delayed everytime, I have my washinton CPL and I write in my SS number on the form. Its without fail, and ususally 3 days later I get the call to come and get it. Doesnt matter, rifle, shotgun, or pistol I know I wont walk out with it.
I paid for the gun on Friday. That's when they began the check. Then the weekend plus yesterday's holiday. I guess technically today is only day one for the background check.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top