JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've never had a delay go past 2 days, but it is frustrating. I recall once my wife and I stopped by a gun store where she spotted a Ruger SP101 she had to have, I bought it for her, took seconds for the BG check to proceed. Of course I spotted a SCAR 17 I needed (lol) so I returned within the hour with a trade. The dealer and I shook hands and agreed on a deal. BG check delayed. Two days later dealer called and said come get the SCAR.

I've given up trying to figure out the BG check system. I'd imagine that with several NFA items under my belt they'd say "Oh, it's bikemutt, proceed". But, it doesn't seem to work that way.

The federal law says they have 3 days on a delay to object to the sale......after that the FFL can give you your gun. Cabelas waits 5 as a company policy (it seems) the Fed never has to OK the sale as long as they don't object. We finally picked up my son's new Walther tonight after I threatened to ship it to a different FFL that I knew would release it after the 3 day wait in any event. We shot 100 rounds off the back porch range, slick smooth shooting gun great trigger and accuracy. Not a hiccup. Not bad for 260.00 brand new.

Just got off the phone with the gun shop. He said the background check folks are overloaded at the moment. He has a whole file of people who have been waiting for their checks to clear so they can pickup their guns.

Glad it's not just me.

The background check cleared today!! I guess 5 days isn't too bad. Hats off to Cascade Loan and Sporting Goods for keeping on top of it.

20171011_133747.jpg

VAF UPIN INFO.JPG VAF UPIN INFO 2.JPG It's true that during times of heavy purchases there are delays. In WA ST that delay can be no longer than 72 Hours and then the FFL must release the firearm to you, without exception!

However, if you don't want to experience any delays get a NICS Voluntary Appeal File (VAF) Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN) which is an absolute way to identify you as the person you say you are and so you aren't confused with anyone else with the same and/or similar name etc...it is a safe and effective way to insure that you'll not experience any delays. After WA ST made some changes in their Laws a few years ago regarding background checks I began experiencing delays with every purchase. It didn't matter that I have a "State of Washington License to carry concealed pistol" (the exact name of the license in WA ST) and that my name, address, SSN, etc...were all correct. Once you have your UPIN there is a box on the upper right of the FFL form to enter that UPIN before it is sent to NICS. NICS recognizes and acknowledges this UPIN immediately and spares the folks at their end the trouble to dig deeper because you have already been fully vetted by their staff and system. Your privacy is completely secure! The initial application process only takes a few weeks, mine took only 10-days.

I'm surprised that more FFL's aren't aware of this and that they haven't been advising their customers (who get delays) of this solution for NICS delays. I learned about it from Bear Arms over 6-years ago. You can download the forms and read all about this on the NICS website. I've attached the forms and info with my posting here. Finally, NICS will advise you if there is any agency who has information about you which could be causing a delay. That was my case, because King County never updated their records and sent that information to the WA ST Patrol in Olympia who manages our States Criminal and Courts Records. That was something they were supposed to do by rule of law, but didn't, and all that B.S. over a matter from over 35 years ago. Get the VAF-UPIN and be done with the NICS delays for once and for all.

View attachment 396999 View attachment 397000 It's true that during times of heavy purchases there are delays. In WA ST that delay can be no longer than 72 Hours and then the FFL must release the firearm to you, without exception!

However, if you don't want to experience any delays get a NICS Voluntary Appeal File (VAF) Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN) which is an absolute way to identify you as the person you say you are and so you aren't confused with anyone else with the same and/or similar name etc...it is a safe and effective way to insure that you'll not experience any delays. After WA ST made some changes in their Laws a few years ago regarding background checks I began experiencing delays with every purchase. It didn't matter that I have a "State of Washington License to carry concealed pistol" (the exact name of the license in WA ST) and that my name, address, SSN, etc...were all correct. Once you have your UPIN there is a box on the upper right of the FFL form to enter that UPIN before it is sent to NICS. NICS recognizes and acknowledges this UPIN immediately and spares the folks at their end the trouble to dig deeper because you have already been fully vetted by their staff and system. Your privacy is completely secure! The initial application process only takes a few weeks, mine took only 10-days.

I'm surprised that more FFL's aren't aware of this and that they haven't been advising their customers (who get delays) of this solution for NICS delays. I learned about it from Bear Arms over 6-years ago. You can download the forms and read all about this on the NICS website. I've attached the forms and info with my posting here. Finally, NICS will advise you if there is any agency who has information about you which could be causing a delay. That was my case, because King County never updated their records and sent that information to the WA ST Patrol in Olympia who manages our States Criminal and Courts Records. That was something they were supposed to do by rule of law, but didn't, and all that B.S. over a matter from over 35 years ago. Get the VAF-UPIN and be done with the NICS delays for once and for all.
I have to disagree with you on a couple of your statements. An ffl may transfer the gun without a "proceed" after a certain number of days but is not required to do a transfer without a "proceed" and some won't transfer as corporate policy. Always check the policy in advance if it matters to you. I have a UPIN and get delayed half the time. The person taking the call on a background check is not an agent and is not allowed to access your open records referenced by the UPIN and must transfer the call to an FBI agent who can read your open records. Sometimes this system is backed up and goes to delay. The FBI has never told me why I get delays. It is frustrating and keeps me from buying when I'm out of town.

I'll again state what others have said. The way the law reads is Three(3) days and the FFL should release the gun. Now the way they read the law is the day starts today if it is called in before Noon(EST) and tomorrow if later. But, and this is what gets some people. The Three(3) days have to be "Business" days. No Saturdays OR Sundays OR Holidays even if the call is made on one of those days. Also a John Smith is much more likely to be hung up Theodore R. Hamlyn. Simply because there are a lot more Smiths out there. I hope that helps.

I have to disagree with you on a couple of your statements. An ffl may transfer the gun without a "proceed" after a certain number of days but is not required to do a transfer without a "proceed" and some won't transfer as corporate policy. Always check the policy in advance if it matters to you. I have a UPIN and get delayed half the time. The person taking the call on a background check is not an agent and is not allowed to access your open records referenced by the UPIN and must transfer the call to an FBI agent who can read your open records. Sometimes this system is backed up and goes to delay. The FBI has never told me why I get delays. It is frustrating and keeps me from buying when I'm out of town.

Hello,

I was writing from my own personal experience, as you are probably writing from yours. If an FFL won't proceed after 72 hours of a delay I will demand my money back and take my business elsewhere. I primarily deal with 2-FFL's, one in Bellevue and one in Renton and have never had any delays since obtaining my VAF UPIN. Same goes when I went to St. Helens, Oregon the Saturday before last to apply for my State of Oregon CHL. I informed the Officer that I had a UPIN and shared that with them, and there wasn't any delay. I was told that my CHL would arrive in about 4-weeks. I did observe others who were before me in line that did get delays and/or took longer to perform their respective NICS reports.

I have actually spoken with a gentleman at NICS (not an Agent, nor did I state in my original post that I had) and he was able to tell me the Agency which had information which may have been the cause of my prior delays. He didn't provide any details or specifics other than the name of the Agency. I was also provided with written information by the FBI identifying that Agency, upon my written request for said information. There are still some decent people at the DOJ, and specifically within the NICS section, as I can attest too. If an item I want is at a shop during my travels out of State I will have that FFL ship it to my local FFL and my local FFL will submit my info for the NICS check. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hello,

I was writing from my own personal experience, as you are probably writing from yours. If an FFL won't proceed after 72 hours of a delay I will demand my money back and take my business elsewhere. I primarily deal with 2-FFL's, one in Bellevue and one in Renton and have never had any delays since obtaining my VAF UPIN. Same goes when I went to St. Helens, Oregon the Saturday before last to apply for my State of Oregon CHL. I informed the Officer that I had a UPIN and shared that with them, and there wasn't any delay. I was told that my CHL would arrive in about 4-weeks. I did observe others who were before me in line that did get delays and/or took longer to perform their respective NICS reports.

I have actually spoken with a gentleman at NICS (not an Agent, nor did I state in my original post that I had) and he was able to tell me the Agency which had information which may have been the cause of my prior delays. He didn't provide any details or specifics other than the name of the Agency. I was also provided with written information by the FBI identifying that Agency, upon my written request for said information. There are still some decent people at the DOJ, and specifically within the NICS section, as I can attest too. If an item I want is at a shop during my travels out of State I will have that FFL ship it to my local FFL and my local FFL will submit my info for the NICS check. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Your experience is certainly better than mine. Before I got the UPIN I had several "denials" which are a real PITA.

Your experience is certainly better than mine. Before I got the UPIN I had several "denials" which are a real PITA.

WOW! That is a big difference between a delay and a denial. I can work with a delay, but a denial is another ball game. I've never had a denial, just a few delays prior to getting the VAF UPIN. Hopefully, others will learn about the VAF UPIN from this posting and will save themselves a lot of time, hassle, and money in the future...take care!

A couple years ago I had a 3 month delay. No reason.
I had a delay at Cabela's for a shotgun and the clerk said that their policy was one week - IOW, if there was no "rejected" notice, they would complete the sale in a week (in the absence of an approval).

Like others on this list, I think the delay is due to the number of people buying guns since the LV disaster

I have a CPL and get delayed 100% of the time. Between calling the BATF and the FBI I finally found out why, believe it or not, it's because they do not know the reason and since they do not know the reason they can't give the FFL a proceed. Thank god my wife never gets delayed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top