JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the title states I'm in the beginning process of building a ruger 22 target pistol. Well I guess just the receiver. I was planning on buying myself one but you already know so.
Using aluminum tubing I'm pretty confident that I can create a usable receiver. then assemble it into a functional mark 1,2 hybrid so to speak using old ruger part's we'll see how it goes.
I'll post updates when parts show up
:)

Found this online, interesting

Screenshot_20221129-222320_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I have a bull barrel " target " upper that I keep meaning to send in to Ruger for refurbishment. The front sight won't stay screwed down, and it has what looks like galling inside the action. It's on about the 15th back burner as far as projects go.
This aluminum idea seems interesting.

I have a bull barrel " target " upper that I keep meaning to send in to Ruger for refurbishment. The front sight won't stay screwed down, and it has what looks like galling inside the action. It's on about the 15th back burner as far as projects go.
This aluminum idea seems interesting.
Check out your bolt, I had galling in a marlin model 60 reciver & turned out to be the firing pin retaining...pin had started working itself out and just tearing up the receiver.
I'll keep y'all posted on progress.

I remember someone here posting about up and coming Ruger kits for the 80% enthusiast. If my memory serves me correctly it was @bolus. OP, I eagerly await your progress. I love the Ruger MK type pistols and would love to try to build one.

I remember someone here posting about up and coming Ruger kits for the 80% enthusiast. If my memory serves me correctly it was @bolus. OP, I eagerly await your progress. I love the Ruger MK type pistols and would love to try to build one.
Nice I do know Gb has a guy selling 80s. he threads it cuts a dovetail for the rear sight and cuts the back of the receiver like the mk2s "makes the bolt easy to grab" & sends you a copy of the blueprints "separately per atf" For the same price as the 80 you can buy the tap
I'm torn.

Matrix precision was working on the a build jig but it looks like when they moved out of california and with the 80% garbage they discontinued the kit. Too bad because he was manufacturing all the parts as well and he makes amazingly good sig 80% receivers and jigs.

Here is what the jig to finish the receiver looked like. You might find a kit floating around out there because he did sell a bunch of them before his move years ago.

1609268202967-1603355758.jpg

I actually still have my 0% receivers I got waiting for the kit to be done. Now dont tell my state, these are literally considered illegal firearms here:

Copper and brass. A copper receiver would have looked cool all shined up. It probably would have been strong enough for 22lr as well.
0.jpg

I actually still have my 0% receivers I got waiting for the kit to be done. Now dont tell my state, these are literally considered illegal firearms here:

Copper and brass. A copper receiver would have looked cool all shined up. It probably would have been strong enough for 22lr as well.
View attachment 1322797
I was considering copper, what's the ID?easy to file & shape without expensive equipment. Hopefully it's strong enough for a few 1,000 rds. I'm sorry to hear of your current situation 🤐

Matrix precision was working on the a build jig but it looks like when they moved out of california and with the 80% garbage they discontinued the kit. Too bad because he was manufacturing all the parts as well and he makes amazingly good sig 80% receivers and jigs.

Here is what the jig to finish the receiver looked like. You might find a kit floating around out there because he did sell a bunch of them before his move years ago.

View attachment 1322780
Thanks for the info, I was certain you were in the know!

I was considering copper, what's the ID?easy to file & shape without expensive equipment. Hopefully it's strong enough for a few 1,000 rds. I'm sorry to hear of your current situation 🤐
1669964432890.png

Actually, I remembered wrong. This was the jig for the MK IV not the 2. I dont know how different they are when it comes to the receiver. The jig was designed specifically for only hand tools. You could use a hacksaw to do the cuts if you wanted

Update.
Hope everyone is doing well. I've been gathering part's in the last few day's.
I have a 1965 standard pencil barrel 2 bolts & rear sight. a grip frame with all the internals in the mail. I have one foot of 6061 t6511 aluminum tubing also in the mail.

I still need a 13/16 x 20 tap & die
An ejector
A ruger mk 1-2 magazine
A jig to drill a straight hole in round material I forgot what it's called... it has a name lol
If anyone has anything on my list let me know.

Progress is being made. although with the holidays and a trip to the southern US this will be the last update until probably mid January. I'll update when I get back at it.
Take care everyone.

20221219_163340.jpg 20221211_002107.jpg

Google "22LR barrel liner". There's a couple outfits that make hardened sleeves.

Bore the copper to accept the liner and you should be able to run 1000's or rounds through it?

My $0.02.

(following thread :D )

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top