JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've only owned the Model 60s; and I'm partial to Marlins. I've passed the Model 60 down to my family.

I cannot offer a comparisson, but the Model 60 is a good rifle; very accurate to 80 yards or so, easy to clean, & spare parts are available.

The wood stock they offer isn't walnut as is NOT worth the extra $ IMO.

I seen them with the wood stocks in a Walmart for @$180.00. Dam if I can remember which store (definately not the McMinnville store, they have fallen).

Even the single-shot Savage Rascals are over $200.00 in some stores.....! I have 4 more to buy for the grands....

Not saying you have to, but you might want to consider a Marlin Lever Action. They can be a bit awkward but I find then a great training to for the bigger note stuff that will likely come along before too long.:)

I have 2 Marlin 60's. I love them. They run great, are accurate and eat pretty much any ammo with very little trouble. Just keep them clean and they work great. Cleaning them is simple and parts are available to replace just about anything you ever need.

I have a Marlin 795 and it shoots well. The answer to your question depends on what you wish to do with it or put up with. The 795 is magazine fed whereas I believe the 60 has a tubular magazine. The 60 most often has a wood stock and the 795 a synthetic one. I have seen more aftermarket options to modify the 795 (even more for the 10/22). Beyond that it may be personal preference.

If you get the 795 I recommend doing a DIProducts Inc trigger guard group replacement - it is worth it! Here are installations instructions:

Marlin 795 DIProducts Inc trigger guard group installation instructions - Calguns.net

As a matter of full disclosure, used my 795 at an Appleseed and found that my rifle, while good in the 35 - 75 round range, tended to foul, get dirty and started having FTF with higher round counts. Consequently, I'm currently using a dedicated 22 cal AR for this type of shooting.

I chose the 795 because I could dual purpose the mags with my Marlin 989 M2, so win/win. Also, I can use a mag loader for the magazines and not die of boredom loading the tube one at a time (although I have seen tube loaders successfully used by those who can chew gum, rub their belly and stand on one foot all at the same time) :rolleyes:

Back to your question, for the price they are both nice plinking rifles.

Last Edited:
Actually, I purchased a Ruger 10-22. The 795 is cheaply made and the 60 is not what it once was. The Ruger was far better and not that much more in price! Let me just say, the Henry rifle is like a BMW--well made machine. I couldn't see dropping $800 for a .22 model, when I am just using it for target practice. However, my next rifle will be for deer hunting, and I am leaning towards the Henry Long Ranger.

I've only owned the Model 60s; and I'm partial to Marlins. I've passed the Model 60 down to my family.

I cannot offer a comparisson, but the Model 60 is a good rifle; very accurate to 80 yards or so, easy to clean, & spare parts are available.

The wood stock they offer isn't walnut as is NOT worth the extra $ IMO.

I seen them with the wood stocks in a Walmart for @$180.00. Dam if I can remember which store (definately not the McMinnville store, they have fallen).

Even the single-shot Savage Rascals are over $200.00 in some stores.....! I have 4 more to buy for the grands....
10/22?
Remington 552? (yes, they still make it!)
Here's an article that looks at some .22 rifles - The Ten Best .22 Rifles
Hopefully that will give you some kind of idea of what's out there these days.

Dean

I really am a fan of the tube fed design. The magazines while nice to exchange, do create a liability in the woods if you are out looking for squirrels.

Model 60 all the way. My favorite has always been the stainless laminate version since childhood. I have a soft spot for that combination in any firearm.

A339CE47-FEEB-4D19-99C1-5BC7983850E9.jpeg

I really am a fan of the tube fed design. The magazines while nice to exchange, do create a liability in the woods if you are out looking for squirrels.

Model 60 all the way. My favorite has always been the stainless laminate version since childhood. I have a soft spot for that combination in any firearm.

View attachment 552117

I have heard of squirrels stealing your nuts but never your mags!

Nice looking rifles OP.

View attachment 552117
Hmmm...never had that happen, but could see where fumbling with/for a mag could lead to lost ammo / inoperable gun.
….maybe its time to step up to a Browning?

cq5dam.web.1200.1200.jpg

...:)

I have a few Marlin 60's, and couple NRA ones. Out of the box there is simply no better 22LR, anywhere near that price.
The 10/22 can be made as nice after around 200.00 more investment.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top