JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What kit out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Time for more fun. I have a Marlin Model 9 on the way and I cannot decide how I want to kit it out. There are lots of directions I can take with this one, so I am putting out a poll. I plan on having some fun with this one, maybe taking it out varminting when I have the time, but mostly it will just see the range as a cheaper action-plinker. It is not going to be any kind of real working gun so questions of practicality are moot. The rifle I am getting does have the checkering option, not just the plain wood stock, in case that kind of thing influences your opinion.

If you have other ideas for what should be done let me know.

Add. Don't subtract.

:)

Bruce
Yep, I am not touching the rifle itself. It looks to be a really nice example of the type and I intend to keep it that way. They came tapped for optics from the factory, so I can add a rail or rings without hurting anything, but I will not be drilling holes in the stock to mount accessories or any shenanigans like that. A light mount will be with barrel rings or not at all. @Nosferatu made me lol, but I ain't no butcher (this time at least).

If you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine, you'll do great! Do be sure to either break it down and examine it thoroughly or have a gunsmith do so. Their buffers are ancient and have often failed by now. That and a few internal parts in mine were kaput when it arrived. But replacements are available and, with cleaning and lubrication, it now runs like a clock. Almost like a 9mm 10/22. I'm still curious what 9mm ammo will get the best performance from its longer barrel than any pistol has. If I ever buy a chronograph, that would be why.

If you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine, you'll do great! Do be sure to either break it down and examine it thoroughly or have a gunsmith do so. Their buffers are ancient and have often failed by now. That and a few internal parts in mine were kaput when it arrived. But replacements are available and, with cleaning and lubrication, it now runs like a clock. Almost like a 9mm 10/22. I'm still curious what 9mm ammo will get the best performance from its longer barrel than any pistol has. If I ever buy a chronograph, that would be why.
I have a chrono I can test with, but BBTI already has a ton of test data on 9s. You can look at their data set here; http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

I don't think I'd do anything to it. If "tricking" something out, the Ruger or s&w 9mm carbines are better suited.
JMHO
I am willing to bet that basically every other 9mm carbine would be better/more practical to trick out. If I were to go full ham it would be purely for the lols.

I am curious to see which of the two "better" options wins out here. If I leave it stock I do want it to be the best example of the type I can make it, and I think a nice leather wrap would really elevate it to something special. On the other hand a 70s era "police carbine" type rifle could be really fun to run-and-gun with, especially if I can find a suitable light (those do seem to be really rare, probably because they were heavy and impractical even for the era).

Go full ham-tard for the lolz. Make sure to paint it something ridiculous. That will add more fun to crowded range days. If anyone asks, tell them it was a limited production model, so wa'nt worth much, so hadda make it more cooler.

If you were assembling a 'practical' gun, you wouldn't be assembling a PCC at all!
I wasn't going to say it, but I was thinking it! I know there are a lot of guys here who like PCCs (me included, though I am a recent convert), but for basically every real world application there are better platforms/configurations. PCCs are really for fun and practice, or light duty work hunting/goofing around. That does not meant they cannot be used for real world work. They make perfectly serviceable home defense firearms, for example. But that does not mean there is not something better in that application that you could choose instead, if you were going for optimal performance.

Having dissed on them like that, though, I do think they offer a useful compromise for certain types of people that do not want one optimal gun for everything they want to do. They do hit a sweet spot in the "one gun compromise" space. So while that is not me (I absolutely will build one perfect build for brush hunting, one for marsh hunting and one for plains hunting, as well as one home defense upstairs gun and one home defense downstairs gun, etc.) if you were looking to one one long gun and one pistol, I can see a PCC being that long gun if your use cases match up.

I wasn't going to say it, but I was thinking it! I know there are a lot of guys here who like PCCs (me included, though I am a recent convert), but for basically every real world application there are better platforms/configurations. PCCs are really for fun and practice, or light duty work hunting/goofing around. That does not meant they cannot be used for real world work. They make perfectly serviceable home defense firearms, for example. But that does not mean there is not something better in that application that you could choose instead, if you were going for optimal performance.

Having dissed on them like that, though, I do think they offer a useful compromise for certain types of people that do not want one optimal gun for everything they want to do. They do hit a sweet spot in the "one gun compromise" space. So while that is not me (I absolutely will build one perfect build for brush hunting, one for marsh hunting and one for plains hunting, as well as one home defense upstairs gun and one home defense downstairs gun, etc.) if you were looking to one one long gun and one pistol, I can see a PCC being that long gun if your use cases match up.
You don't need to sell me. I had a MP5-SD when I lived in AZ. That thing was a bullet hose and more fun than I deserved.

However, it wasn't good any anything that I needed. Luckily, being a 2-stamp gun and fairly rare, I made $4k on it after putting thousands of rounds though it. One of my better investments, ever.

I have a Sig MPX-K now. Fun, but not happy-trigger MP5 fun.

You don't need to sell me. I had a MP5-SD when I lived in AZ. That thing was a bullet hose and more fun than I deserved.

However, it wasn't good any anything that I needed. Luckily, being a 2-stamp gun and fairly rare, I made $4k on it after putting thousands of rounds though it. One of my better investments, ever.

I have a Sig MPX-K now. Fun, but not happy-trigger MP5 fun.
That sounds like a blast. I just started stamp collecting myself, and something with a giggle switch is on the radar. Not sure what, but I will keep any eye out for something that makes sense for me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top