JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My guess is the OP wants something modern rather than the nods to the old school classics like a 1911 or 1006....

For something modern my picks would be between the new Sig Sauer Xten or a Glock 20. Since I dont own either I cant say what upgrades are needed but for me a defensive pistol should have a ledge series rear sight and either a fiber optic or tritium front sight. I like the ergonomics of the Sig better (never been a fan of the Glocks grip angle but its a tried and true platform...) but the Glocks just always work and can easily be upgraded and have plenty of holster options so the classic G20 deserves mention. The Sig Xten costs more but it comes milled ready to fit a RMR sight which to me is a huge option to consider. Sigs grip modules are worth noting too...
I have both.
Both are very easy to shoot accurately. Hard to choose between them.
The SIG feels almost like a 9mm frame, therefore would be better for smaller hands.

What brand and model of 10mm pistol would you pick and why.
What type of upgrades would you choose and which ones you wouldn't choose?

What makes it better than say for example: Glock, S&W or Springfield? Or what makes one of those better?

Edit: ok adding that it's going to be for personal carry and in the field use. I plan to be using 180gr to 220gr bullets.
I'm a big fan of the 1911 platform myself, if I were buying, I'd be picking up a 6" slide (probably the RIA PRO Ultra Match 6" I'd want to handle both styles (single and double stack) before pulling the trigger)
single stack: https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/pro-ultra-match-6-10mm-8rd
Double Stack "Big Rock": https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/pro-ultra-match-6-hc-big-rock-10mm-16rd

I'd also look at the Girsan MC1911 S Hunter https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc1911s-hunter/

I'm a huge fan of Springfield Armory's upper level 1911's
this TRP PC9610L18 is probably my favorite 10mm (that's not a semi-custom)
https://www.springfield-armory.com/...uns/1911-trp-operator-longslide-10mm-handgun/

as far as a carry gun,
I, being a fan of the 1911's ergonomics (mostly the grip angle) would look into the XD-M Elite pistols in 10mm
it's hard to beet the Springfield XD-M Elite 3.8 XDME93810CBHCOSP "THE CONCEALABLE 10MM"
here it is in 4.5" https://www.springfield-armory.com/...lite-handguns/xd-m-elite-45-osp-10mm-handgun/

if considering the XD style,
you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not considering GLOCK's offerings (I'm not a fan of how they fit my hand)
GLOCK also makes a subcompact 10mm the G29 and G29SF https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g29-sf

I have many, nothing beats the S & W 1066 but since you cant get it, my EDC is a Springfield XDM. Point well and shoots great. The Sig is probably my next fav after the 1066 for a higher end version.

20220123_163046.jpg I put this one together. Works good for what I use it for

To further the discussion about grip size;

I have medium hands: The G20 is perfectly manageable, but chunky; The 1006 is slender (single stack), but long front-to-back; The Elite 220 is close to a full size 9mm and pretty comfortable.

10mm_2.jpg

I'm a Newb but many tools deep now, first gun was an m&p 9 and still the one I shoot the best. So for me a 4.6" m&p in 10mm would likely be the one. I like the way they look too.

Well I would certainly look hard at the M&P but I'm an M&P fan and have one in .22, 9mm, and 45 acp already. Note that I have not seen or handled a M&P 10mm yet though so have zero experience with them. But if there was an Apex Flat Trigger that worked for the M&P, that would be a big plus for me as I love their flat triggers. The M&P is also optic ready which is another huge plus as I do like me some red-dotty goodness!

If not the M&P, then I would likely lean toward a 1911 platform...either a Wilson or a Dan Wesson Kodiak if I didn't want to spend what it would take for a Wilson.

You should call your local ranges that have a decent rental counter and see what 10mm's they have. You can probably sort out more in an hour on the range than anything we can tell you. Plus it will be fun. :)
I have one, no problems, love it. Also have a 2.0 in 40 with 9mm conversion setup and the Apex Flat Trigger. Those are the best, closest to a tuned 1911 around at any price. The 10mm 2.0 has one almost as good, maybe 75%?

For handguns, currently my EDC is a Glock 29. My Glock 20 is my SHTF gun, though if I could source more magazines I would be promoting my Sig X Ten to that position. With my S&W M&P 2.0 being 3rd in line for the title. Other 10mm handguns in the mix include S&W 1076 and a S&W model 310 revolver. For PCC's, I'd bet my life on my B&T APC10, followed closely by the CMMG Banshee, then my Kriss Vector and finally bringing up the rear is a Olympic Arms K10 and it's unfortunately proprietary magazines.

View attachment 1304083 View attachment 1304084 View attachment 1304085 View attachment 1304086
Hope you're on our side ;-)

Alright I'm about to toss a live grenade question here. :s0103:

I'm looking at getting a new 10mm pistol and I'm not sure which is going to be the better choice to get, all of mine have been rifle and SBR lenght.

What brand and model of 10mm pistol would you pick and why.
What type of upgrades would you choose and which ones you wouldn't choose?

What makes it better than say for example: Glock, S&W or Springfield? Or what makes one of those better?

I know final choice is mine but I'm hoping for some first hand experience and info from you fine folks.
Edit: ok adding that it's going to be for personal carry and in the field use. I plan to be using 180gr to 220gr bullets.
Which one won the debate? List your picks and post a poll. Good luck finding it.

I've been shooting 10mm for about 14 years. It's my favorite caliber overall. If I could only have one, I'd pick a 6" 1911 every single time. I loved my Dan Wesson Kodiak, but if I could do it over again, i would probably stick with the Bruin, as the rail made finding holsters difficult.

I've been focusing on building a "system" for each caliber I own where I have a carry, full size, and PDW that all uses the same mags. For that reason only, I switched to the G40, G29, and a 2022 Banshee.

If you are shooting full meal deal loads, you also need to consider whether or not the chamber is fully supported in whatever option you choose. Although that is mostly just a concern for reloading, it can also protect you in the case of a case blowout.

Quality is always nice but sometimes too much of a good thing will prevent you from using it.
Only if you baby your guns,this is more a mindset thing than anything. All my guns I shoot the crap outa even the expensive high quality ones, and IMO the quality ones are worth every penny.

Back to the topic, for 10mm I wouldn't want anything short of a steel frame, I would mostly be shooting full power 10mm so I'd want the extra weight and durability.
I'd lean towards whatever platform you shoot best and get the 10mm version.

I had one 10mm and sold it, but if I was looking to buy another it would be the same or very similar.
Dan Wesson CBOB. I have one in 45 and it's a great gun. Yeah, all steel and a little heavy. Not a large magazine, but the gun fits my hand well. A good belt and holster makes it tolerable all day, even if wearing a pack. Just like a good pair of boots, though, it does feel good at the end of the day to take it off. :)

I had one 10mm and sold it, but if I was looking to buy another it would be the same or very similar.
Dan Wesson CBOB. I have one in 45 and it's a great gun. Yeah, all steel and a little heavy. Not a large magazine, but the gun fits my hand well. A good belt and holster makes it tolerable all day, even if wearing a pack. Just like a good pair of boots, though, it does feel good at the end of the day to take it off. :)
I missed out on the CBOB 10mm production. A Commander 10mm was on my wishlist for a long time. I'm sure they fetch ridiculous money these days.

Haven't heard from the OP @Local Loader in a while. Did you abandon the whole idea and decide to go for the gold standard of handguns instead; The mighty Lorcin L380?

No, I'm still here and keeping track of things people are saying. I'm still looking to get a 10mm, seems a lot of people like the 1911 or the steel frames the most so far. Some of the poly frames don't seem bad either. I do like the idea of a fully supported chamber over having the smile.

No, I'm still here and keeping track of things people are saying. I'm still looking to get a 10mm, seems a lot of people like the 1911 or the steel frames the most so far. Some of the poly frames don't seem bad either. I do like the idea of a fully supported chamber over having the smile.
If you're worried about chamber support (I'm not with my G20.4) find a G20.3 or G20.4 and get a KKM barrel for it.
Done and done.

Edit:
With G20.3 there is an SF (short frame) option.
The length of pull is shorter to accommodate smaller hands.
With G20.4 it is SF with no backstraps installed.

My G20.4 is so smooth and so easy to shoot accurately, it ought to be illegal.
But the question remains, can I stand in the pocket and deliver accurate fire on a charging grizzly ?

Last Edited:
Aftermarket barrels offer fully supported chambers. However, unless you're shooting a heavy diet of nuclear loads, this is one of the things the "internet" has blown way out of proportion.

I've personally put ~35,000 rounds of 1250fps 10mm through a G29 factory barrel. Strangely, it never blew up. Granted, a sample of one, but I haven't found many people who can claim the same.

10mm supported chambers is not required if your shooting loads within SAAMI specs.
No gun manufacturer will sell a gun that wont shoot saami spec loads, regardless of chamber support.

The issue started many years ago when there was a rise in 10mm sales for bear protection, boutique ammo manufacturers marketed the hottest loads for hunting or "bear defense", the problem was mass production isnt accurate enough to load right on that edge of max power and some cases started "smiling" and eventually some guns were ruined. Ammo manufacturers have backed off a tad since then, at least I havent heard of any of the hotter loads blowing up in any unsupported chambers in many years now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top