JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alright I'm about to toss a live grenade question here. :s0103:

I'm looking at getting a new 10mm pistol and I'm not sure which is going to be the better choice to get, all of mine have been rifle and SBR lenght.

What brand and model of 10mm pistol would you pick and why.
What type of upgrades would you choose and which ones you wouldn't choose?

What makes it better than say for example: Glock, S&W or Springfield? Or what makes one of those better?

I know final choice is mine but I'm hoping for some first hand experience and info from you fine folks.
Edit: ok adding that it's going to be for personal carry and in the field use. I plan to be using 180gr to 220gr bullets.

Last Edited:
Guess it depends on the intended use; woods carry, hunting, conceal, range...

I've put a lot of rounds and hundreds of different loads through my 20.4 and it' been absolutely dependable.

For upgrades: 5.15" AF barrel, Warren Sevigny sights, DAT trigger. It grips like a 2X4, and is probably just as reliable :)

I started out with the Glock 40 MOS but didn't like the frame flex with full house loads. Then bought the Springfield XDM 5.25 And felt the same flex with the same loads. Now I have the Sig P-220 and love it. IMHO 10mm needs a full size all steel frame particularly if you are shooting the original spec loads. Which was a 180gr bullet at 1300 fps.

I've owned 4 - 10mm pistols, and shot that many more.

My best and favorite, was my first SR 1911 in 10mm. It was incredibly accurate. More so than any other 10mm I've experienced. I say was, as it self destructed for no discoverable reason. It was returned to the mother ship multiple times, parts were replaced, but the pistol would no longer function. Ruger refused to replace it, and instructed me to shoot a couple hundred more rounds and see if it fixes itself. Really. It was only by accident I discovered this pistol came from Davidson's, and after much heartburn, it was finally replaced by Davidson's, only because of intervention by @LuckySG , even though he was not the original seller. (Thanks). I remained apprehensive with this new pistol, and never shot it before finally selling it. The new owner has reported this pistol has remained flawless.

I bought a 3rd one of these pistols, and have shot it pretty extensively with no reliability issues. I've still kind've lost interest and seldom shoot it.

In the meantime, I've owned two XDM's in 10mm. They were flawless in operation. But I lost interest in the XDM's too.

Our buddy @Gassyman has had a herd of 10mm's of different makes. We experienced a couple mini-kabooms with two of them, a Glock 20? and another. Makes me think a 10mm is just a little potent for the average 10mm pistol. I know he's headed hunting, but before he goes, I hope he chimes in...

My latest SR 1911, although I don't shoot it much, I do now trust it enough that I carried it thru deer season as a backup.

Gassyman also had a Sig 220 in 10mm. It was probably the finest of all the 10mm's I've experienced, but just like the Glock, the Sig was uncomfortably large for me.

Last Edited:
Get a 1911, and don't worry about it! WAY stronger then any of the plastik phantastiks, no "Glock Smiley" from unsupported barrels, bomb proof reliable, scary accurate ( If you do you part) and they are cool as hell! Bonus, there are several Double Stack options available, that's usually 16+1 on tap, and no matter the power levels of the chosen loads, they flat out work!

1667449920099.png

FWIW: I've been around the world with the 10mm over the last 25-ish years. I had nearly 35k rounds through my original; A G29 before giving it away. It still lives, but not as high of a volume anymore. I used to compete with that and a Delta Gold Cup.

Add in a G20, S&W 610 3", 610 5" and my current ones, the G29G4 above, Ruger GP100 Above, Springfield XDM 5.25, Polymer-80 G20 and recent mfg. Delta Elite.

The 229 is the most versatile, especially with the extended KKM barrel. Easy to carry and good velocity from a variety of ammo.

The new-ish Sig P320 10mm is an interesting option, as are the S&W M&P offerings. I'll be trying them out when I move back to the USA and can have proper mags again.

The Sig 220 SAO has been a favorite of mine for a long time and intend to add one eventually.

Rock Island Armory makes a solid 1911 in 10mm and there's also the Colt Delta Elite if you have a lot of money to spare. Kimber's Custom Elite is a good option as well. And, of course, there's always the Glocks. They're all great, reliable and accurate.

Well I would certainly look hard at the M&P but I'm an M&P fan and have one in .22, 9mm, and 45 acp already. Note that I have not seen or handled a M&P 10mm yet though so have zero experience with them. But if there was an Apex Flat Trigger that worked for the M&P, that would be a big plus for me as I love their flat triggers. The M&P is also optic ready which is another huge plus as I do like me some red-dotty goodness!

If not the M&P, then I would likely lean toward a 1911 platform...either a Wilson or a Dan Wesson Kodiak if I didn't want to spend what it would take for a Wilson.

You should call your local ranges that have a decent rental counter and see what 10mm's they have. You can probably sort out more in an hour on the range than anything we can tell you. Plus it will be fun. :)

This will no doubt follow the "normal" route of type preferred.Being a long time 1911 guy I have of course long toyed with one in 1911. What I REALLY like is the one STI makes with the double stack mags.:D
For me now that eyes are aging I would look for one that was already set to go for an optic of the kind you can have both the optic and irons. Every time I watch another video of some drug zombie having to be shot multiple times to drop I start thinking about one in double stack again.

Quality is always nice but sometimes too much of a good thing will prevent you from using it.
#1 choice if I'm gonna fondle this late at night rub it with an oily rag and Whisper sweet things to it would be something like a Dan Wesson 1911 . If this is gonna be my beat up woods packer I'm probably looking at something like a double stack rock island armory 1911 and maybe replace some parts inside and have somebody who knows what they're doing breathe on it. I personally have a SigTAC opps that is plenty nice enough for who it's for. I can't remember the model but I believe it's the Sig P220 and 10 mm I've heard very good reviews about And it has a fully supported chamber. One thing to remember for 10 mm is to buy Good ammo like buffalo boar or underwood most of the cheaper brand name stuff it's just 40 caliber in a long neck case.

Seems like there are a lot of experienced 10mm guys here.

I just impulse bought a factory rebuilt Glock 40.4 MOS because it was inexpensive. Looks clean throughout, just a little slide wear. I previously shot the Glock 20 and I loved that. Anyway, I don't plan to put 1000 rounds through it or hunt with it. So this was a cost-effective option for me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top