JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For handguns, currently my EDC is a Glock 29. My Glock 20 is my SHTF gun, though if I could source more magazines I would be promoting my Sig X Ten to that position. With my S&W M&P 2.0 being 3rd in line for the title. Other 10mm handguns in the mix include S&W 1076 and a S&W model 310 revolver. For PCC's, I'd bet my life on my B&T APC10, followed closely by the CMMG Banshee, then my Kriss Vector and finally bringing up the rear is a Olympic Arms K10 and it's unfortunately proprietary magazines.

HG.JPG Smith.JPG carbine.JPG Banshee.JPG

Inquiry: are any of the 10mm revolvers built to run without moonclips?
I do not think so Autos aren't rimmed cases so there's really no other practical way to ejected from a revolver other than the old style ejection rod like the old revolvers.

You can but I believe they're meant to be run with moon clips as the ejector rod misses all the casings and you have to dig each cartridge out individually so you're not gonna set any speed records for your reload times
I do it all the time. There might be the occasional one that I have to pull out, but who cares?

I'm not interested in reload times. This is just a backyard plinker where I don't have to chase brass around in the grass and weeds.

10mm.

i was extremely starstruck with this round when i was getting into LE a looooooong time ago.

it was when ted nugent was discovering this round. and really getting his gonzo on around it. so, of course much younger me wanted to be like ted.

so the conversation went like this:

me: hey sarge. 10mm on our approved list for duty caliber?

SGT: yup

me: this delta elite (shows color colt catalog) is also approved?

me: sweeeeet

SGT: you know department only pays for 9, 40 and 45 ammo.

me: um. (slinking out) i'll stick with my 9.

never did get a ten. but may have to visit rhat again.

10mm.

i was extremely starstruck with this round when i was getting into LE a looooooong time ago.

it was when ted nugent was discovering this round. and really getting his gonzo on around it. so, of course much younger me wanted to be like ted.

so the conversation went like this:

me: hey sarge. 10mm on our approved list for duty caliber?

me: this delta elite (shows color colt catalog) is also approved?

me: sweeeeet

SGT: you know department only pays for 9, 40 and 45 ammo.

me: um. (slinking out) i'll stick with my 9.

never did get a ten. but may have to visit rhat again.
Pick a Colt Delta Elite 10mm and then the Ruger SR in 10mm.
I like the "heft" of the Ruger much better.

Get a 1911, and don't worry about it! WAY stronger then any of the plastik phantastiks, no "Glock Smiley" from unsupported barrels, bomb proof reliable, scary accurate ( If you do you part) and they are cool as hell! Bonus, there are several Double Stack options available, that's usually 16+1 on tap, and no matter the power levels of the chosen loads, they flat out work!

View attachment 1303845
Glock 10mm's are bomb-proof as well. Unsupported chambers aren't really a thing since the Gen4.

Regardless, I vote Smith 1006.

Glock 10mm's are bomb-proof as well. Unsupported chambers aren't really a thing since the Gen4.

Regardless, I vote Smith 1006.
ooooh. the old skool smith 10s were pretty cool.

1006, 1076… all day long.

i remember all the gun writers of the day were off the hook for those things.

and then the 10mm fell out of favor and the LE turn-ins we're almost free.

of course, i was a broke college student at the time and they might as well have been a million dollars.

gotta add one of those to my list. but darn! the prices now!

I would love a 10mm auto in a 1911 pattern. I would hate to pack that heavy beauty around all day on my hunting pack belt getting treated like my G20 does. The polymer frame on the G20 is also does very well in helping to absorb recoil in a fairly light pistol. I have larger hands so the G20 works for me. If I were to buy a range toy in 10mm auto, 1911 it would be.

I would love a 10mm auto in a 1911 pattern. I would hate to pack that heavy beauty around all day on my hunting pack belt getting treated like my G20 does.
To me nothings more beautiful than a weathered and worn 1911. I bought my Delta Elite about 25 years ago and its been hunting with me ever since. Blued steel weathers the best but gotta admit the first few hard weather hunts arent something one wants to put a classic gun thru.

I'd recommend the M&P 2.0. Shoots pretty softly and holds 12 standard. I don't have any experience with others but the person who I purchased the M&P from stated that it was softer shooting than his Glock (not sure which model but I think it was the 40) and he preferred shooting the M&P and would have kept it except he had a bunch of money already tied up into his Glock with upgrades.

My guess is the OP wants something modern rather than the nods to the old school classics like a 1911 or 1006....

What brand and model of 10mm pistol would you pick and why.
What type of upgrades would you choose and which ones you wouldn't choose?

What makes it better than say for example: Glock, S&W or Springfield? Or what makes one of those better?
For something modern my picks would be between the new Sig Sauer Xten or a Glock 20. Since I dont own either I cant say what upgrades are needed but for me a defensive pistol should have a ledge series rear sight and either a fiber optic or tritium front sight. I like the ergonomics of the Sig better (never been a fan of the Glocks grip angle but its a tried and true platform...) but the Glocks just always work and can easily be upgraded and have plenty of holster options so the classic G20 deserves mention. The Sig Xten costs more but it comes milled ready to fit a RMR sight which to me is a huge option to consider. Sigs grip modules are worth noting too...

Alright I'm about to toss a live grenade question here. :s0103:

I'm looking at getting a new 10mm pistol and I'm not sure which is going to be the better choice to get, all of mine have been rifle and SBR lenght.

What brand and model of 10mm pistol would you pick and why.
What type of upgrades would you choose and which ones you wouldn't choose?

What makes it better than say for example: Glock, S&W or Springfield? Or what makes one of those better?

I know final choice is mine but I'm hoping for some first hand experience and info from you fine folks.
Edit: ok adding that it's going to be for personal carry and in the field use. I plan to be using 180gr to 220gr bullets.
My new favorite is a Dan Wesson Bruin. No upgrades needed. I have a P220 Sig Legion I might sell, upgrade the sights.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top