JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Awesome subtle use of "your". :)
1. I figure if I get half the apostrophes inserted correctly in informal writing where nobody is providing a proofreader or paying me money that's good enough.

2. I've published three books. In the process I noticed that neither my publisher, editors, or literary agent proofread their email messages at all.

3. It's all the fault of Autocorrect. Most of the time it inserts them. But sometimes it doesnt.

Back
javascript:window.history.back()
Just another incongruity of the English language. :s0092:

I was taught how to read using phonetics. English is not a Phonetic Language. Thus I had trouble spelling anything other than my name correctly. :rolleyes:
That's a great excuse for being a lousy speller. Way more original than "dyslexia".

My excuse: When I was in third grade my vision had deteriorated because of all the reading I did. The third grade teacher wrote a big spelling list for us to memorize on the board every day. I couldn't see the board very well, so copied many of the words down wrong. So it's all the fault of my third grade teacher!

The crop is where a bird stores food for pre-digestion. Since they do not chew in their mouth this is the place where food gets mechanically broken down. Not all birds have this, but birds that eat primarily seeds or are omnivores typically will.

View attachment 1858824
Its the gizzard that mechanically grinds the food. It has very thick muscular walls and sand or stones or oyster shell in it to grind with. Also called second stomach. Food goes from mouth to esophagus to crop to stomach to gizzards to intestines. Crop does not have thick muscular walls or any grindingstones. Diagram has omitted stomach.

still trying to get rid of a couple mating pair of geese
I'm throwing out eggs every day
each female can lay up to 30 eggs per season

and a birds crop is a muscular bag in their digestive system where they store food
We have all kinds of problems here with Canada Geese that stop migrating as its so mild here. Of course every "solution" has some kooks screaming. So one solution they have used is going to the nests and coating the eggs with something, IIRC, some kind of oil. The eggs then die and can't hatch but the females will keep sitting them instead of laying more. Maybe you could try that with yours?

Squirrels, also cache stuff like corn or sunflower seeds. And they prefer soft ground such as gardens or compost piles. Squirrels also use hollow logs or rotted spots in tree trunks. A survival trick for winter in places with nuts in fall is to look for the squirrel caches in hollow logs. Critters who do this caching are untrusting. They will not hide something if another critter is watching. For good reason. Cause the watcher will steal all the nuts and put them in a cache of their own.
I get a HUGE kick out of watching that here. Now and then put out peanuts in the shell for the critters. Squirrels will run around and dig a spot and bury them. Crows watching come along behind them and dig them up and take them for their stash. It can be amusing to watch.

Most birds will change nesting sites if nest is disrupted. For example, if you take some eggs, remove some and spread broken shells and some goo in nest, mama normally abandons that nest and moves to a different site. No point in laying more eggs in a nest an egg predator has already discovered.

To keep domestic ducks laying when you are gathering eggs, you leave one or two wood or plastic eggs in the nest so duck doesn't decide it is a failed nest and abandon nest. Some ducks are satisfied with hollow plastic nest eggs. Not Ancona ducks. They kick plastic eggs outta their nests so hard they are usually found several feet away from the nest. Only wood eggs, which weigh about the same as real eggs will do.

Edit: The ducks flip the rejected eggs out of the nest with their bills, not kick them with their feet.

Last Edited:
The crop is where a bird stores food for pre-digestion. Since they do not chew in their mouth this is the place where food gets mechanically broken down. Not all birds have this, but birds that eat primarily seeds or are omnivores typically will.

View attachment 1858824
The gizzard is where the food is broken down. (It's where the small pieces of gravel go that the bird pecks: his "teeth", actually, that "chew" the food. )

The Craw, now, is something else altogether:

View: https://youtu.be/ftgAG3Vnif8

Its the gizzard that mechanically grinds the food. It has very thick muscular walls and sand or stones or oyster shell in it to grind with.
You forgot Delicious when cooked properly!
The gizzard is where the food is broken down. (It's where the small pieces of gravel go that the bird pecks: his "teeth", actually, that "chew" the food. )

The Craw, now, is something else altogether:

View: https://youtu.be/ftgAG3Vnif8
O-M-G we watched some dumb stuff back then. 😬

But I NEVER watched "Three's Company", so have that going for me.

You forgot Delicious when cooked properly!

O-M-G we watched some dumb stuff back then. 😬

But I NEVER watched "Three's Company", so have that going for me.
Well, you say that but...

c14f4e9a00c9bd1d60bc90c36eee00d2.jpg

OIP.jpg

:)

That was Mel brooks huh? Just looked at all the movies he did. WOW! A number of those just aren't for me. I still have a great deal of respect him for him though.
I'm with you on this one Mike. Some his movies are among my all-time favorites, particularly Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles. Some of the others though...

Get Smart is classic television. "And loving it!"

The tragedy is that such truthful comedy (we only laugh at ourselves) is Verboten in the current public culture.
Some years ago I bought "Blazing Saddles" on CD because I was pretty sure they were going to cancel it. Several months ago it was time to watch it again, and I was pleasantly surprised that whatever movie channel I was watching it on had not cut it.

Some years ago I bought "Blazing Saddles" on CD because I was pretty sure they were going to cancel it. Several months ago it was time to watch it again, and I was pleasantly surprised that whatever movie channel I was watching it on had not cut it.
Hang on to thar DVD because they're probably not done infringing yet.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews