JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just another incongruity of the English language. :s0092:

I was taught how to read using phonetics. English is not a Phonetic Language. Thus I had trouble spelling anything other than my name correctly. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness I'd never heard it called a crop. I always called it a craw.....lean something new every day. I feel stupid for not knowing that
Same thing. If you Google "craw", it comes back with "the crop of a bird or animal". See - you're not stupid. :s0092:

"The crop (also the croup, the craw, the ingluvies, and the sublingual pouch). . ." Wikipedia.

Crop is the accepted common name today. Craw and croup are considered archaic or outdated, but are still used and understood. If you had said "craw" most people would understand you, but if the conversation continues it would likely quickly switch back to the more common usage. Such is the nature of language.

"The crop (also the croup, the craw, the ingluvies, and the sublingual pouch). . ." Wikipedia.

Crop is the accepted common name today. Craw and croup are considered archaic or outdated, but are still used and understood. If you had said "craw" most people would understand you, but if the conversation continues it would likely quickly switch back to the more common usage. Such is the nature of language.
Well that really sticks in my craw.

:)

Crop? Please explain
The crop in birds like chickens, ducks, and geese is a chamber in the alimentary canal located in the throat used for storing food. It allows the bird to bolt food far faster than it can process it, then run or fly off to somewhere safer to digest it. In my medium sized (7 lb) laying ducks the crop was very obvious on the live birds after they had been fed. It was a distended section on the.lower neck about two inches long, an inch wide, and projecting about half to 3/4 inch.

In species where the saliva contains the starch-digesting enzyme amylase, digestion actually starts in the crop. Birds that regurgitate food for their offspring regurgitate from the crop. Some birds such as pigeons and doves actually produce a secretion from the crop to feed young. Its actuallly called pigeon milk. Not all bird species have crops. Vultures and hawks have crops. Owls don't . Some dinosaurs had crops. Some worms and some slugs have crops.

I can speculate that a coon or other predator that just eats the crop might be feeling short on carbs, which can sometimes be harder to come by than protein in the wild. Nightcrawkers and big slugs might be abundant, but not seeds. When I had a duck flock, coons were my major predators, however, and I don't recall any cases where a predator took just the crop.

a fact - Stellar Jays DO plant corn, I see it every year
the Jays pick up the goose corn and carry it to recently cultivated earth, even pots
we have wild corn coming up all over the garden and garlic patch every year
Yeah! I have little clumps of 2-4 sunflowers sprouting from the Scrub Jays filling their beaks and burying them in the garden beds and pots.

a fact - Stellar Jays DO plant corn, I see it every year
the Jays pick up the goose corn and carry it to recently cultivated earth, even pots
we have wild corn coming up all over the garden and garlic patch every year
Squirrels, also cache stuff like corn or sunflower seeds. And they prefer soft ground such as gardens or compost piles. Squirrels also use hollow logs or rotted spots in tree trunks. A survival trick for winter in places with nuts in fall is to look for the squirrel caches in hollow logs. Critters who do this caching are untrusting. They will not hide something if another critter is watching. For good reason. Cause the watcher will steal all the nuts and put them in a cache of their own.

The crop in birds like chickens, ducks, and geese is a chamber in the alimentary canal located in the throat used for storing food. It allows the bird to bolt food far faster than it can process it, then run or fly off to somewhere safer to digest it. In my medium sized (7 lb) laying ducks the crop was very obvious on the live birds after they had been fed. It was a distended section on the.lower neck about two inches long, an inch wide, and projecting about half to 3/4 inch.

In species where the saliva contains the starch-digesting enzyme amylase, digestion actually starts in the crop. Birds that regurgitate food for their offspring regurgitate from the crop. Some birds such as pigeons and doves actually produce a secretion from the crop to feed young. Its actuallly called pigeon milk. Not all bird species have crops. Vultures and hawks have crops. Owls don't . Some dinosaurs had crops. Some worms and some slugs have crops.

I can speculate that a coon or other predator that just eats the crop might be feeling short on carbs, which can sometimes be harder to come by than protein in the wild. Nightcrawkers and big slugs might be abundant, but not seeds. When I had a duck flock, coons were my major predators, however, and I don't recall any cases where a predator took just the crop.
And let's not even get started on ruminants...

In all seriousness I'd never heard it called a crop. I always called it a craw.....lean something new every day. I feel stupid for not knowing that
You probably picked up 'craw' by learning this sort of stuff from old timers instead of books.
And let's not even get started on ruminants...
Someone is probably remembering the post I did that was a treatise on ruminant manure.

I've never been a "book" guy.....so your correct
Books have their limitations. You shoulda seen me trying to butcher a chicken for the first time from a book. Coulda passed for a decent dissection in a bio class. But as for getting the feathers out, the book left out so much. Like don't start with a random-aged rigor-mortised rooster your dog killed sometime last night.

Books have their limitations. You shoulda seen me trying to butcher a chicken for the first time from a book. Coulda passed for a decent dissection in a bio class. But as for getting the feathers out, the book left out so much. Like don't start with a random-aged rigor-mortised rooster your dog killed sometime last night.
Sounds delicious. :D

"What's for dinner?"
"Dog chicken."

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR