JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hate you.

I flew out of PDX yesterday morning, and almost missed my flight because I got RAVAGED at security.

I shoot competitively for Boise State University, therefore I fly with weapons a couple times a year and I have NEVER been treated the way I was yesterday morning.

I get to the airport, wait in line, check my other bag, and ask for a firearms declaration. So far so good, helpful ticket agent, declaration in my case. I then take my case down to security, hand it to the idiot blue-shirted dude, and went to the other side to wait for the 'all clear' so I could go get on my plane....if only it were that easy.

After the run through the machine the TSA agent asks me if the magazines are full, I of course answer yes. He tells me that is not how you are supposed to pack them, I kindly informed him that I fly with weapons every couple of months and it is perfectly fine. He then asks for my key to open my case, I politely tell him 'no', and ask him to call a supervisor. He turned around and made a radio call that undoubtedly married the words 'passenger' and 'guns'. We all know what happens when TSA says those two magic words!!!!

6 PORT OF PORTLAND POLICE OFFICERS SHOW UP! Yes, SIX. 1 of whom turned out to be nice, and 1 who would have arrested me if I would have had an unpaid parking ticket on my record. Anyway, I figured they would confirm what I knew - that I was legally flying. But NO, they ask me how my ammo was packaged, I told them, and mentioned I fly just like this ALL THE TIME. They told me that was illegal and I needed to:
1. Call my dad back to the airport
2. Take my guns off of the port of Portland owned land
3. Unload my magazines
4. Come back to the airport and reschedule my flight

I was becoming irritated at this point, and 'bubblegum head cop' didn't like that. At some point in our verbal exchange I mentioned my OR CHL and how I could be legally carrying where I was standing in the airport. I had told him I was from WA when talking about unloading my mags, and he asked how I had an OR CHL. I was flabbergasted, and showed it to him...he obviously kept it and asked for my WA license. While he was looking at both ID's he realized they matched, shocking I know. He then walks back behind the area I can't go. I can see part of my case lying on the table. 'Nice cop' comes over and asks for my key and says that we can work this out. He said he needed the key because my mags were on a lower layer then my guns and the x-ray machine couldn't see them in their entirety. Seemed like a logical argument, I gave him the keys.

I continue to watch while they take all 3 of my guns out, pull the first layer of foam out and then look at the mags. I'm more than a little pissed at this point, and I hadn't even got a naked picture of me taken from the security line yet.

Nice cop comes over and asks me why I have 'scary' guns. I told him I shoot competitively for Boise State and was just taking them back for Christmas break. We started talking, and he turned out to be a nice guy...even if it was just to distract me from the other officer RUNNING THE SERIAL NUMBERS ON EACH OF MY GUNS.

Much to his disapproval, none of the guns were stolen, and I didn't have a warrant out for my arrest. So a-hole cop comes back over and says: 'Apparently it's changed, you are allowed to carry ammo like this'.

No kidding!!!

I had a long security line in front of me and didn't feel like being talked down to anymore so I didn't argue with him about that or running the serial numbers on my guns. I of course wasn't allowed behind the rope, and therefore had to watch as they brutally repackaged my babies and fought to clip it like the Battle at Kruger. I got my keys returned to me after I made sure they locked it, and was on my way.

Last Edited:
From the TSA WEB Site
You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation
:huh:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

I feel for you, but "I FLY LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME" is not valid. I've flown several times only to later realize that I had one of my leatherman knives in my carry-on backpack*.

Instead of informing them that you do this all the time, I would advise printing out copies of the pertinent laws, then highlight the relevant passages and laminate the sheets. Carry them with you when you travel.

Presenting documentation of the law may very well expedite your passage through security. Unless you're acting like an *** or some shifty weirdo, security probably recognizes that you're not a threat. Nonetheless, they may act tough because they have asses to cover. Documentation of the law smoothes that bump out and only leaves the born or made bubblegums to deal with, and there's no escaping the bubblegums of the world, that's just life.

*For some reason I never forget to leave nail clippers at home, but there's always a leatherman or swiss army knife in my backpack and I frequently forget about it when traveling. Maybe it's just the comical absurdity of the nail clipper ban and liquid limits that helps me to remember them.

I take a handgun with me out of PDX 2 or 3 times a month, packaged just like XdM's and fly into just about every major U.S. airport. Never had any significant problem. Boise Intl on the other hand is a nightmare for me. I get "selected" every time for a random pat down. Right after the TSA instituted the grope & fondle search rule, I got just exactly that. In Boise, heading home, got pulled asisde ane told I would be patted down.The dude grazes my most prized possesion with his gloved hand. WTF? WTF? WTF? I jumped back and look and look at this guy and ask what the **** he is doing. He says "new preoceedure", apologizes and sends me on my way.
You can a get a good TSA person or a real die hard fanatical d_psh_t.
I keep a set of the printed reg.s in the gun case I take.

Couldn't that rule be interpretted as exactly what the OP did? The "fiber, wood or metal container"? Magazines are typically metal and are designed specifically for carrying or storing small amounts of ammunition

Sure, it could be interpreted that way. Betting that a security guard will interpret the law the same way each time, or the same way you do doesn't appear to have great odds.

I had some empty .22lr cases in my backpack for a long time. Good thing airport security never noticed them. I'd probably have to sit there and listen to people explain to me how even empty cases can be reloaded and .22lr is a deadly assassin round because it is very quiet and bounces around inside people turning their insides to mush.

I hadn't even got a naked picture of me taken from the security line yet.
I don't think they do the naked picture thing yet at PDX. I flew out from there during November and all they had were the usual old metal detectors.

It has been a few years ago since I have flown. I pretty much refuse to now :(

When I did I took a couple of pistols with me. At the time in that one place at that one airport with that one guy on that one day on that one hour :cool: I was told that ammo in mags in a pouch was fine. Ammo in a loose mag was not. The theory was that ammo in a loose mag could in theory get knocked out and then you would loose ammo rolling around. In a mag pouch it would be hard to knock the ammo out.

Again that was just my experience and it made reasonable sense.............

(*edits by me*)I would advise printing out copies of the pertinent laws, then highlight the relevant passages and laminate the sheets. Carry them with you when you travel... Documentation of the law smoothes that bump out and only leaves the born or made ***holes to deal with, and there's no escaping the ***holes of the world...
man that is a good idea. And no kidding about the a-holes of the world-- a few years back I had a HUGE group of TSA peeps (training day:confused:) go through a craaaazy amount of diggin' and swabbin' and etc with my stuff-- from Seatac to another domestic city. They poured out my medications(!?!) into a freshly unwrapped plastic tray that they said was specifically for this purpose(I've never heard of that before or since), swabbed my hands, went through my CPAP* with obsessive attention. And this was even with a letter I had from my doctor explaining exactly what the meds & cpap were for and how I needed them to, yknow, avoid death :rolleyes:. Definitely different from transporting firearms, but a ridiculous hassle anyways. I avoid flying as much as possible, but if I do again & am transporting firearms, I'm definitely gonna do what C&H suggests. (*CPAP is a breathing assist device for sleep apnea, looks like a humidifier with hoses & a breathing mask)

Thank you for that...I've also flown with firearms and at anytime a TSA agent can inpect your firearms to ensure they are not loaded, are declared and no contraband is being concealed with the firearm (Xray machines don't like metal). I've also heard of people flying with their mags loaded too...when I read the TSA rules a few years back it just said that they had to be in something that was specifically designed to hold ammunition; therefore, a gun magazine would apply.

He then asks for my key to open my case, I politely tell him 'no', and ask him to call a supervisor.

Here's your problem...they can inspect your bags at any time. As soon as you start the process you have to complete the process (one rule I don't like myself). When I used to fly with my guns, I used to just have all the cases unlocked and would hand them the locks after they inspected them (they were mainly looking for the declaration tag). I would just hand them the locks (they were combo locks and I didn't like yelling my combo accross to them). At least I did this until some pre-tarded TSA guy that wasn't paying attention to the fact that there were guns in my bag and threw them on the conveyer to the plane. They had to stop the plane, take off the bags and put on my locks since they HAD TO BE LOCKED.

TSA, I swear...they don't have the brightest; but angry-headed tards that make their life harder by not following their policies just make it harder for everyone.

Yeah, if you tell the guy you're not giving him a key, he's probably going to give you zero breaks. You know, you might consider taping the rules to the outside of the case. They may not even ask for the key next time.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews