JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We still have Statewide preemption. No-guns signs are only enforceable for schools and courthouses. People have been asked to leave stores such as IKEA for open carrying, but nobody is patting down concealed carriers. My wife went out dancing with her friends in downtown Portland last year at a place that was wanding. The security guard about **** himself when the wand screamed as he scanned at her ankles. She just smiled, said "must be the buckles on my boots" and kept going in. Buckles.
View attachment 1302660
Since you do not live in a state that is adjacent to Oregon, you cannot get an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. In Portland, Multnomah County prohibits loaded open carry without an Oregon CHL, so I guess you won't be visiting Portland any time soon.
I thought they killed preemption in 2020? Glad that's still there if not.

Since leaving Oregon and watching it continue to devolve, honestly, I have zero desire to return even for a visit. Idaho is as far west as I'd care to travel at this point. I spent 2 months shy of 39 years in Oregon. Born there, raised there, that state hadn't felt like "home" in a long time.

I did ask WCSO if I could convert my Oregon CHL to a non-res CHL, and the guy I talked to just laughed. He said he'd document my leaving (I contacted them after moving to Texas) and that my card was no good anymore, and that I should destroy it. Its sitting in my office cabinet as a momento of another lifetime.

I never went anywhere unarmed there. Happily, legally carried to every school function, every parent teacher meeting. Its stupid that they changed it. Texas' laws about carrying guns are stupid in some ways - they have force of law to no-guns signs, and its a cluster fk of 4 or 5 different laws which dictate who / where you can and cannot carry.

Public schools K-12 are no bueno, hospitals, nursing homes, day cares, sporting events, poling places (cannot exercise your right to vote, while exercising your right to carry) plus any establishment that makes 51% or more of its gross revenues from the sale of alcohol to be consumed on-site. Any business displaying the appropriate signage (small victory, the signage must meet specific criteria or its unenforceable) - one sign to ban *licensed* concealed carry, one sign to ban *licensed* open carry, and one sign to ban permitless carry of any kind. With passing of permitless carry, they created a two-tiered system. Those of us carrying under the permitless law are prohibited from carrying certain places CHL holders can go. CHL holders are still banned from the places listed above.

Concealed means concealed, none the less. Lot more road ragers here, lot more stupidity as you get close to Houston proper - but its just like Portland, only if Portland was literally the size of the state of Connecticut in land mass, and had 7 million people in its metro. We have almost twice as many people in the greater Houston area as there are in the whole state of Oregon.

We moved to a small town - pretty much like Forest Grove in relation to Portland - our little town is about 40 miles by air from the city center, on the far outskirts of the metro area. I try avoid Houston proper as much as possible.

I thought they killed preemption in 2020? Glad that's still there if not.

Since leaving Oregon and watching it continue to devolve, honestly, I have zero desire to return even for a visit. Idaho is as far west as I'd care to travel at this point. I spent 2 months shy of 39 years in Oregon. Born there, raised there, that state hadn't felt like "home" in a long time.

I did ask WCSO if I could convert my Oregon CHL to a non-res CHL, and the guy I talked to just laughed. He said he'd document my leaving (I contacted them after moving to Texas) and that my card was no good anymore, and that I should destroy it. Its sitting in my office cabinet as a momento of another lifetime.

I never went anywhere unarmed there. Happily, legally carried to every school function, every parent teacher meeting. Its stupid that they changed it. Texas' laws about carrying guns are stupid in some ways - they have force of law to no-guns signs, and its a cluster fk of 4 or 5 different laws which dictate who / where you can and cannot carry.

Public schools K-12 are no bueno, hospitals, nursing homes, day cares, sporting events, poling places (cannot exercise your right to vote, while exercising your right to carry) plus any establishment that makes 51% or more of its gross revenues from the sale of alcohol to be consumed on-site. Any business displaying the appropriate signage (small victory, the signage must meet specific criteria or its unenforceable) - one sign to ban *licensed* concealed carry, one sign to ban *licensed* open carry, and one sign to ban permitless carry of any kind. With passing of permitless carry, they created a two-tiered system. Those of us carrying under the permitless law are prohibited from carrying certain places CHL holders can go. CHL holders are still banned from the places listed above.

Concealed means concealed, none the less. Lot more road ragers here, lot more stupidity as you get close to Houston proper - but its just like Portland, only if Portland was literally the size of the state of Connecticut in land mass, and had 7 million people in its metro. We have almost twice as many people in the greater Houston area as there are in the whole state of Oregon.

We moved to a small town - pretty much like Forest Grove in relation to Portland - our little town is about 40 miles by air from the city center, on the far outskirts of the metro area. I try avoid Houston proper as much as possible.
My wife and I want to move out of Oregon in the next few years. I want to move to Western Idaho, but she wants to move closer to her sister in Houston. She has picked out The Woodlands as a spot to work and eventually retire to. I think that two days of Houston humidity will change her mind.

Hell, I won't step foot in any business in downtown Salem, last time few time I was down there the place smelled like a urinal (and not a freshly cleaned one).
The only difference between the two cities is that in Portland they pressure wash the sidewalks every morning to clean up the piss and feces.

My wife and I want to move out of Oregon in the next few years. I want to move to Western Idaho, but she wants to move closer to her sister in Houston. She has picked out The Woodlands as a spot to work and eventually retire to. I think that two days of Houston humidity will change her mind.
The Woodlands isn't far from us, by Texas standards. 30 minute drive. I've known a handful of Oregonians now who retired there. It is like Lake Oswego and West Linn, but with more high end apartments plus the high dollar houses. Beautiful neighborhoods, but you're gonna pay.

One thing about Texas - HOAs are *everywhere* - because cities & counties don't want to bother with code enforcement or zoning for the most part, they make developers put HOAs into place. I doubt you'd find a place in The Woodlands *not* in an HOA, if that's an issue for you. Probably looking at 2 grand a year or more in HOA fees in a lot of those neighborhoods.

I'd also caution - this whole area is seeing massive population boom right now, and huge development. Our little Forest Grove like town of Magnolia is literally going to more than double in size in the next 5 years with the thousands of homes they've rubber stamped to be built. We are voting on a 232 million dollar bond for the school district which would cover building a few new schools, refurbing and expanding some of the old schools. School districts here are taxing authorities and set their rates. The county is also a taxing authority, and depending where you're at - you have MUD taxes too.

IF you want to move to Texas - I would honestly be looking a bit further out - land will be cheaper, and unless you want to live on top of other people and deal with the stupid traffic (we get a LOT of bad traffic in our town now, because of the big expansion of the main hwy running thru town (think something like TV Hwy) coupled with the busiest damn rail I've ever lived near - train seems to come thru once an hour some days, and probably at least 8 or 10 times / day on average lately. It'll back traffic up for a mile.

I've already told the wife that once our son graduates HS, we're selling and moving further out. Thats' 6 years away. By then - all those thousands of new homes will have been built, more planned. We have just under 3 acres in an HOA controlled neighborhood that is *not* part of the HOA - hoping that helps really seal the deal when time to sell comes.

I've been looking at places in the Texas Hill Country (central Texas - think like Central Oregon, but without all the snow) - its gorgeous, lots of tiny 1000 or smaller resident towns. Land is cheaper - but you're a lot further away from "big" cities. I want 10+ acres so I can shoot & hunt on my property with no hastles and not run afoul of the law.

I'm also looking at places in Idaho, Utah, northern Arizona, or Arkansas. A relative of mine just sold a few acres down in LaPine and picked up 80 acres in Arkansas.

I love the weather here 9 months out of the year - summers are a tad warm, and our electric bill from May until just a week or so ago was $15 / day to cool our 2100 sq ft home. I don't like doing the math on that, because it hurts the soul and the wallet to even think about.

Back in the 1980's, a big time Florida cocaine importer had a brilliant idea that would make drug sniffing canines obsolete.
He told the South American cartel bosses to use some of their product to infuse traces of cocaine on all the drug money they were receiving.
As the cash made it's way back to the US, everyone would be handling tainted cash. They didn't take him up on it.
Cocaine is already found on 90% of US paper money

I don't live in fear either. I just don't want anything to do with the type of people that do hang out down town.

I don't live in fear either. I just don't want anything to do with the type of people that do hang out down town.
I consider that a calculated risk. As a concealed carry individual, you're more likely to have to use your firearm any time you go into that cesspool.

I consider that a calculated risk. As a concealed carry individual, you're more likely to have to use your firearm any time you go into that cesspool.
I don't know about the day. But at night? !!!! Those animals are nocturnal. Here in my hood the encampments show very little movement during daylight. It's at night you hear the deconstruction of vehicles and the crazy screaming and yelling. At night is when the stolen cars get stripped, garbage dumped, new motor homes move in.

Wait, what? Did you say there's still one business left in downtown Portland…?

As others have said, one could have a LOT of fun with this. Imagine taking a pocket full of fired .22 shells in there and distributing them in every trash can and crevice you could find!

Last Edited:
What are they going to do? They can't search you. If they of their dog touches you or they try patting you down without your consent you can sue them criminally and civilly for assault and harassment. You don't even have to answer their question about whether you are packing. They can call the cops but there is nothing else they can legally do. One lawsuit could shut down their little doggy operation.

I clean my CCW weekly, and every time its fired. The shop rag has about a years worth of grime and solvent on it.
If I lived closer I would carry it and use it to open every door touch every grab rail, clean the buttons in the elevator, etc...that way the scent trail would be every where! And we would know if the dogs have any training at all.
I might even buy a cold drink and watch the fun. DR

I clean my CCW weekly, and every time its fired. The shop rag has about a years worth of grime and solvent on it.
If I lived closer I would carry it and use it to open every door touch every grab rail, clean the buttons in the elevator, etc...that way the scent trail would be every where! And we would know if the dogs have any training at all.
I might even buy a cold drink and watch the fun. DR
Wouldn't work. Dogs can track scent to it's source. As the scent ages, it gets weaker. Since you're holding the strongest sample of that oder, you're just drawing it right to you.

Besides, if a dog alerted on an elevator button, the handler would just command it to keep tracking until it picks up the odor again.

They set this up in trials all the time. They will have an oder in a spot for a while, then move it. The dogs need to be able to identify and only alert at the source of the order.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top