JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm sure most people on this forum don't visit downtown Portland after BLM, Antifa, and the army of bums has destroyed it, but if you ever head to Pioneer Place for shopping or movies at the large Regal theater there, you might want to start considering a boycott.

My son and I enjoy going to Pioneer Place because he's five and loves to ride the elevators and escalators. I snapped this picture below at one of the entrances yesterday.

The mall is now using gun-sniffing dogs on patrons inside the mall. We saw one of them-- a black lab00 about ten minutes after seeing this sign.

Set aside for a moment whether the dogs can do what their handlers claim, this is a violation of the privacy of all CHL holders, and of the safety for all mall patrons. It's also offensive that they are using man's best friend to rat out and snitch on lawful gun owners.

For the time being, my son and I will continue to ride the escalators and elevators at Pioneer Place, but I won't give any stores or vendors any money, and I'll make sure to carry a rag with some Hoppes, CLP, and gunshot residue (GSR) in my pocket. ;)

Pioneer Place gun sniffing dog.jpg

Pioneer Place? Never heard of it. :rolleyes:

Only reason I've been "Down Town" potland in the last year and half is to drive straight though because it's a quicker route than using the 5 or 84 most times.

Couple of businesses around me have prominent gun free signs, always chuckle when I walked in. Took a pic once, thought to post it with a snarky remark, thought better of it.

But examinations for a cw didn't cross my mind. Wonder what the protocol is if the pooch signals a hit. What will the security guy say and do?

bubblegum those people.

Wonder what the protocol is if the pooch signals a hit. What will the security guy say and do?
All they can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse, you can be trespassed.

The dogs are trained on gunpowder residue. Depending on how good you are at cleaning and/or how long it's been since you fired your CCW, you could still go undetected by the dogs.

My wife is involved in scent detection sports. It's fascinating watching the dogs locate odor. I personally would just steer clear of the place and let them have their little utopia.

Whats sad is, that "pup patrol" will only harass law abiding citizens who are conceal carrying.. a would be shooter will just run in and start to cause a "mass event".. their little anti gun policy actually makes them a softer target.

Back in the 1980's, a big time Florida cocaine importer had a brilliant idea that would make drug sniffing canines obsolete.
He told the South American cartel bosses to use some of their product to infuse traces of cocaine on all the drug money they were receiving.
As the cash made it's way back to the US, everyone would be handling tainted cash. They didn't take him up on it.

i havnt been downtown since march 2020. we used to go pretty often.

we aint going back until its fixed.

i personally wont go there for anything, guns shows, apple store etc.

ive been laughing every time hot apple products are sold out at every store except pioneer place location that is surrounded in steel caging... hrmm wonder why. 🤔

So the dogs are trained to smell gun powder or carbon maybe.

some testing thoughts:

1. Ccw, super clean gun lubed up with G96
2. do some reloading, dont wash hands, go unarmed.
3. Use a shirt to clean your guns, wear the shirt to pioneer place Unarmed.
4. Ccw, Super dirty gun, lube your whole body in g96.

some testing thoughts:

5. Put a couple of charcoal briquets in you pockets?
Rub them on your knee caps? :s0033:

some testing thoughts:

Or.... just don't go into Portland.

IF they (the Pups) are trained to sniff out gunpowder......
Why not make them happy?

Yeah, without carrying any guns or ammo?

How about, just some gun powder in your pocket.

Then watch the hilarity, as you tell them to "Stuff It" where the sun don't shine. Bring along the video camera, so you can record the moment when your Civil Rights gets Violated. Ka Ching!

Aloha, Mark

As per the sign:

'These furry friends'

The dog in the pic looks like a psycho killer creature - like something Nazis used to run down the Jews in WW2.

I say carry bear spray and if it approaches you hose it down.

Last Edited:
Back in the 1980's, a big time Florida cocaine importer had a brilliant idea that would make drug sniffing canines obsolete.
He told the South American cartel bosses to use some of their product to infuse traces of cocaine on all the drug money they were receiving.
As the cash made it's way back to the US, everyone would be handling tainted cash. They didn't take him up on it.
We recently tested a couple hundred $20s from multiple sources (banks) in our forensic lab. 80% had cocaine traces on them.

As per the sign:

'These furry friends'

The dog in the pic looks like a psycho killer creature - like something Nazis used to run down the Jews in WW2.

I say carry bear spray and if it approaches you hose it down.
LOL.....A "Police Dog" is recognized as also being a cop (by the courts).

But then.......Rrrrright......(to some people) ALL COPS are racist, Nazi, pigs, violators of human rights, etc....etc..... So anyway......harming the police dog would equate to harming a police officer. That all being said.......

I wouldn't.

Aloha, Mark

PS........not saying RIGHT or WRONG here. But take a look at the "problems" with the senario.

Last Edited:
So anyway......harming the police dog would equate to harming a police officer.
That would only be if it were in fact being handled by a LEO in the performance of his/her duties.

IF only store security, or anyone else and if you believe you are being threatened (heck, maybe you don't recognize it as a gun sniffing dog - look at all the dogs people bring into places of biz these days) I say hose away!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top