JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see this a progress. In fact, it's a small percentage of the population (Black, Young, Male) that causes the majority of the mayhem and havoc is no surprise to anyone paying attention. In D.C. that is essentially just 500 individual. It gives me hope, because once you can identify the problem, it means you can actually openly discuss it and start to work on solving it. That the victims are also overwhelmingly African Americans is not an unknown as well, and they can hopefully not be so plentiful in the future if we can solve the issue.

This is so worth examining and looking with fresh thoughts on how the justice experts and social workers can approach this to reduce the violence and increased murders that are spiraling up in inner city areas.

Quote from article: "The National Institute for Criminal Justice Reform looked at the numbers for homicides and nonfatal shooting in D.C. in 2019 and 2020, and found that "most gun violence is tightly concentrated on a small number of very high-risk young Black male adults that share a common set of risk factors."

https://archive.is/TFcYT

https://cjcc.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/cjcc/release_content/attachments/DC Gun Violence Problem Analysis Summary Report.pdf

download-9.jpeg

-Robert

That study only looked at WDC in a specific time frame so to say that "it's a small percentage of the population (Black, Young, Male) that causes the majority of the mayhem and havoc" to any other city without a similar study to back it up would in fact be racist

IBTL

It's not racist to have the conversation, but it is taboo for some reason. It shouldn't be controversial to say certain segments of the population commit a disproportionate amount of crime. That should be a mutually agreed upon fact. And yes, some of the reason for that is in fact because of past racism, redlining, sentencing disparity etc.

Once all that is acknowledged, a real conversation can be had as to how we move forward to address it.

IBTL

It's not racist to have the conversation, but it is taboo for some reason. It shouldn't be controversial to say certain segments of the population commit a disproportionate amount of crime. That should be a mutually agreed upon fact. And yes, some of the reason for that is in fact because of past racism, redlining, sentencing disparity etc.

Once all that is acknowledged, a real conversation can be had as to how we move forward to address it.
Oh my gosh! You just identified a problem or situation, recognize that issues of race or systemic disparities may be involved in that and suggested that a conversation examining that would be beneficial!
Congratulations on appropriately applying critical race theory to an issue.

It is a CULTURE problem. The drug gang culture. The current affliction tends to be black, but includes many other races, MS-13 being prominent. Yet, MS-13 is not a race, it is a criminal sub-culture and like the Sicialian Mafia, it is a currupt culture that must be separated out from race in order to combat it.

Oh my gosh! You just identified a problem or situation, recognize that issues of race or systemic disparities may be involved in that and suggested that a conversation examining that would be beneficial!
Congratulations on appropriately applying critical race theory to an issue.

I said past issues have some level of effect on current problems. That's not CRT.

CRT says the current system must change, I think that currently there is no 'systemic racism', but past racism contributed to cultural issues. Bringing down the system won't help cultural issues.

I think we're going to have to just agree to disagree on what CRT is, because I'm sure a discussion of it would only accelerate the already impending thread lock ;)

"CRT scholars argue that the idea of race advances the interests of white people[5] at the expense of people of color,[9][10] and that the liberal notion of U.S. law as "neutral" plays a significant role in maintaining a racially unjust social order,[11] where formally color-blind laws continue to have racially discriminatory outcomes."

I think that this was a real problem 60-70 yrs ago, but less and less since then to nearly non existent now.

This is evident if you simply look at murders. Half of all murders are committed by 6% of the population. To say that this is a false statistic because the system protects white murderers is absurd.

Last Edited:
That study only looked at WDC in a specific time frame so to say that "it's a small percentage of the population (Black, Young, Male) that causes the majority of the mayhem and havoc" to any other city without a similar study to back it up would in fact be racist
It wouldn't be racist, it would be a claim without sufficient evidence to prove correct or incorrect. The word racist actually means something, I suggest refreshing on the definition to avoid using it incorrectly.

That being said it would be very likely accurate that the findings in DC would generalize to the findings in similarly sized cities with similar demographics at least.

This horse has been long beat to death already though. Just looking at census data compared to nationally compiled violent crime statistics and there is a very clear and obvious case of disproportionate occurrences of violent crime. No one group is singularly to blame, however males more often than females (across all skin tones), 16-35 more so than any other age range and per capita black males more so than any other by a significant margin. Using poverty, education, familial status etc, also provides metrics of comparison. College graduates are less likely to be involved in violent crime than non college graduates, those on the lower income threshold more so than on the upper and those with intact families and active fathers less so than those with 1 parent raising them (typically mom or grandma) and their father not actively involed.

When it all comes down to it we have a morality problem in this country, not a crime problem. Because moral people don't rely on the law to make them behave.

Last Edited:
"I looked forward in time. I saw 14,000,605 futures. And then in all of those, there is only one that this thread doesn't get locked"
So I'm going go ahead and dip now but y'all have fun :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads