JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I've been making my own BP for almost two decades - in New Mexico, where there is a humidity level of zero. Now in Tennessee, where the humidity sucks It's different. First, I mill my kclo3, which was pearlized. I don't like this stuff. But it's what I got and after milling it felt damp. I believe I make a pretty dern fine charcoal from Willow. Sulphur and binder are pharmaceutical grade. This BP batch stuff is ssllloooowww . I tried putting the rest of the KCLO3 in my vault and turned the de-humidifyier all the way up. After a few days it turned out some really nice product. Now for the other stuff. If I take the "corned" [really screened] BP back to a slurry, will the KCLO3 just come out of the charcoal and be a waist of time? This stuff is for my cannons and there's no way I'd puck it for a flinter.

Maybe the fumes of pure 200 proof alchohol in a closed container, the water in the container will "go" to the achohol drying the air. Then keep the humidity away in an air tight container keeping it from your product. NO static sparks ; be safe.
200 proof is flamable.

Edit: Might do a small test batch in a bottle OR? I'm not sure what achohol will do to the KClO3
Cold will remove water also but really cold like liquid Nitrogen then screen/shake the frost off. ???

Last Edited:
I've been making my own BP for almost two decades - in New Mexico, where there is a humidity level of zero. Now in Tennessee, where the humidity sucks It's different. First, I mill my kclo3, which was pearlized. I don't like this stuff. But it's what I got and after milling it felt damp. I believe I make a pretty dern fine charcoal from Willow. Sulphur and binder are pharmaceutical grade. This BP batch stuff is ssllloooowww . I tried putting the rest of the KCLO3 in my vault and turned the de-humidifyier all the way up. After a few days it turned out some really nice product. Now for the other stuff. If I take the "corned" [really screened] BP back to a slurry, will the KCLO3 just come out of the charcoal and be a waist of time? This stuff is for my cannons and there's no way I'd puck it for a flinter.
I read this three times and I still don't know what he's talking about.

I don't use dextrin or any other binder in my product. I corn the product into pucks via the well known method and dry it, break it up, screen it and glaze (polish) it. My biggest problem is getting good charcoal.

I feel that if you return it to a slurry the KClO3 will tend to come out of the charcoal.

This is Wisdom of The Old Ones. Those of us that are slaves to commercially produced rounds sit silent in stunned amazement.

19664-Arthur-C-Clarke-Quote-Any-sufficiently-advanced-technology-is.jpg

I just looked up the saltpeter caves of Kentucky 1810
Salpeter dirt from these caves was $.17 a pound then fear-ing another war with England the price went to $.75 then $1 per pound
It was described like the Gold rush
There were 6 saltpetre cave soil mills in Lexington alone.
And Who made alot of money off this industry? Mr. duPont.

I don't use dextrin or any other binder in my product. I corn the product into pucks via the well known method and dry it, break it up, screen it and glaze (polish) it. My biggest problem is getting good charcoal.

I feel that if you return it to a slurry the KClO3 will tend to come out of the charcoal.
I think I could help you with making your own quality charcoal. If you'll tell me what state your in I can check what tree species are available to you. Then I'll share the steps to attaining a very nice float charcoal. Do you puck with a press of some sort? I made a few of these and only need the one. I don't use it much as 99% of my BP goes to shooting cannons. I think there are a few beta models around here. I could send one your way. What's you technique for your F values after forming pucks?

I live in Washington, "The Evergreen State," in the middle of a desert. The most suitable local woods near me for charcoal are cottonwood and weeping willow. I have used both successfully but find the cottonwood pretty dirty.

I use a 20 ton press for the pucks and 20, 30 and 60 mesh for the F values. As of now anything greater than 2f or smaller than 3f gets recycled. I am trying to restore a 12 or 13 gauge muzzleloader and will have to get a screen for 1f sooner or later. I recycle the fines because during inventory last year I saw that I had 3 1/2 lbs. of 4f.

I greatly appreciate your offer of assistance but I think that I am good.

I was wondering if Alcohol would pull the binder? Never tried it with a binder, so no idea, but after corning and screening, it gets stored with a small amount of alcohol until ready to go, then I pop it in an oven at low temp to pull off any moisture and remaining alcohol vapers!

I live in Washington, "The Evergreen State," in the middle of a desert. The most suitable local woods near me for charcoal are cottonwood and weeping willow. I have used both successfully but find the cottonwood pretty dirty.

I use a 20 ton press for the pucks and 20, 30 and 60 mesh for the F values. As of now anything greater than 2f or smaller than 3f gets recycled. I am trying to restore a 12 or 13 gauge muzzleloader and will have to get a screen for 1f sooner or later. I recycle the fines because during inventory last year I saw that I had 3 1/2 lbs. of 4f.

I greatly appreciate your offer of assistance but I think that I am good.
You are correct in staying away from cottonwood. Yuck. However willow is an excellent choice. Weeping or globe, well there's something like 54 varieties of willow. I like to take a one gl. paint can and put in dry 1" sticks. Place on fire till smoke quits. put on heavy damp cloth and turn over to smother. I'll ball mill the charcoal for at least 48 hours. I've always wanted to be judged and judge other folks efforts. ATF doesn't like this idea. But sending each other their charcoal and keeping the variables down to a minimum might be fun. I tried to get one of those "BP power-checker" guns but no luck. Care to try each others?

I was wondering if Alcohol would pull the binder? Never tried it with a binder, so no idea, but after corning and screening, it gets stored with a small amount of alcohol until ready to go, then I pop it in an oven at low temp to pull off any moisture and remaining alcohol vapers!
I don't think ETOH would pull off the binder, dextrin. Nor do I think it would pull the KCLO3 from CH0. The idea of allowing the OH to acts as a drying agent is interesting. thanks. I think I'll try that.

I do not even want to know what they're using as a "binder"..... :D
Why make fun of that which you know nothing of? I also turn titanium for my own thread pitched knock off Cherry Bomb's. Or do you think that's a firecracker? Or I can put 5 inside of 10 at 1Kyds. But since I make my own cannons and they take a lot of BP, I'm here looking for similar minds. Not mindless chatter.

Yah Stomper how silly of you! :D For your transgression I sentence you to 50 lashes with a wet cannon fuse. Hey Cannon, lighten up a bit, many of us around here do indeed have a sense of humor.

Yah Stomper how silly of you! :D For your transgression I sentence you to 50 lashes with a wet cannon fuse. Hey Cannon, lighten up a bit, many of us around here do indeed have a sense of humor.
fair enough. BTW, modern cannon fuse, wet? 50 lashes? That'd hurt like hell!

Why make fun of that which you know nothing of? I also turn titanium for my own thread pitched knock off Cherry Bomb's. Or do you think that's a firecracker? Or I can put 5 inside of 10 at 1Kyds. But since I make my own cannons and they take a lot of BP, I'm here looking for similar minds. Not mindless chatter.

4CBD3BC0-2F77-4C6A-A572-96FD47899EC4.gif

Because..... I can. ;):D

Tell ya wot, Bruh.... you become a supporting member here, and THEN I'll give ya some mindful chatter from my IQ146 mind. ;)

Need some binder?

44D0D6D9-F702-47E8-81FB-31A448215283.jpeg

;):D

View attachment 802717

Because..... I can. ;):D

Tell ya wot, Bruh.... you become a supporting member here, and THEN I'll give ya some mindful chatter from my IQ146 mind. ;)

Need some binder?

View attachment 802718

;):D
I can only surmise your IQ is as inflated as your ego. By the looks of your hand it would appear that it remains as your lover. Or was it that you were using a 1 - 10,000 scale that you got your paltry 146 score? I can only hope you will stop eating your crayons. Last, why not stop crapping in other folks sandboxes?

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads