JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was letting my 14 year old shoot the CZ 17 and it had a failure. Any idea what could cause this based on the case? He said the bolt was all the way closed. I haven't talk to CZ yet.

Appears the charge went down vertical and blew out the mag well area.

He has some minor cuts on his left hand and bruising. Nothing serious.
IMG_9141.jpg

IMG_9148.jpg
IMG_9150.jpg

IMG_9154.jpg
IMG_9155.jpg

IMG_9159.jpg IMG_9158.jpg

IMG_9160.jpg

WOW...thats some scary stuff there! I've never heard of any issues with CZ bolt guns but 17HMR ammo has always been sketchy.
I had several of these case ruptures when shooting semi auto 17's in the past. I can'r tell the brand on the head? Winchester recalled a bunch of 20gr 17HMR ammo not long ago as well. My friends Savage had a case head separation and had to have a gunsmith remove the barrel to get the case out. Sorry about your nice rifle, but glad no one was really hurt. Hope your son is not turned off because. Let us know what CZ says.

WOW...thats some scary stuff there! I've never heard of any issues with CZ bolt guns but 17HMR ammo has always been sketchy.
I had several of these case ruptures when shooting semi auto 17's in the past. I can'r tell the brand on the head? Winchester recalled a bunch of 20gr 17HMR ammo not long ago as well. My friends Savage had a case head separation and had to have a gunsmith remove the barrel to get the case out. Sorry about your nice rifle, but glad no one was really hurt. Hope your son is not turned off because. Let us know what CZ says.

He was pretty shaken up. Just happy that he wasn't seriously hurt as we about 4 hours from a small hospital.

I'd reach out to the Ammo manufacturer and CZ.

Should of said it earlier, glad to hear the kiddo is ok.

Never seen a 17 bolt action blow up so I was kind of shocked.

How light is the trigger? If very light then the act of closing the bolt can make the sear slip and fire out of battery. The other condition could be a very dirty chamber or small obstruction to have the round seating too far back in the chamber but still allowed the bolt to close. Then upon firing, the pressures caused case head separation where there's no support from the chamber...like a mini pipe bomb. I have never seen that happen with a CZ 452 so I'm intrigued.

How light is the trigger? If very light then the act of closing the bolt can make the sear slip and fire out of battery. The other condition could be a very dirty chamber or small obstruction to have the round seating too far back in the chamber but still allowed the bolt to close. Then upon firing, the pressures caused case head separation where there's no support from the chamber...like a mini pipe bomb. I have never seen that happen with a CZ 452 so I'm intrigued.

That could be. The chamber looked pretty filthy to be honest. I would have expected poor shooting, not a pipe bomb though. Trigger is not too light, but I'm curious if bolt wasn't closed all the way. He insists it was.

Sorry, bolt not closed. Fully closed bolt fully encloses the base of the round. No way that happens, IMHO, with a fully engaged bolt, particularly in a CZ.

Should have added, glad everyone was okay - could have been pretty scary.

Last Edited:
Sorry, bolt not closed. Fully closed bolt fully encloses the base of the round. No way that happens, IMHO, with a fully engaged bolt, particularly in a CZ.

Should have added, glad everyone was okay - could have been pretty scary.

Sorry, but this wasn't the cause.

1) Fully closed the bolt, and the bottom of the case is exposed and unsupported. You can see that area of the case that blew out through the mag well.
2) The first 1/2 of the bolt action locks it forward, but doesn't provide enough spring action to dent the case with the firing pin. I tried for 10 minutes to replicate this with an empty case and can't get a dent in the rim while the bolt is off the chamber. I'm just not seeing this as the cause now.

I think CZ covered the "failed to close bolt all the way issues"

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class